Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless-to-Wired Printer Sharing Does NOT Work

Reply
Thread Tools

Wireless-to-Wired Printer Sharing Does NOT Work

 
 
J
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-31-2005
I've tried all vendor support sites and no luck, so I'm hoping
someone here will have a solution, or even information that I
can't do what I want and need different hardware (I have also
read over 100 messages here [seems a LOT of people are having
this same problem!] and did not find a fix

My telco (Qwest) provided an Actiontec DSL Modem GT701-WG when I
signed up for DSL - this unit has a built-in 802.11b/g wireless,
and ONE wired output

To connect 2 desktops, I bought a Linksys Firewall Router BEFSX41
which I have connected to the one Actiontec wired output, and my
2 desktop computers are then wired to 2 of the 4 Linksys ports

This all works very well, and after setup + firewall configuration
my 2 desktop computers "see" each other, and I am able to print to
my wife's inkjet printer that is hooked to her desktop via USB

Then, we bought a laptop for my wife to be in the TV room and hit
the web sites mentioned on her home design shows, so I activated
the wireless part of the Actiontec, and she is now happy surfing
the Internet and even checking email

The problem is that NOTHING I do will make the laptop "see" the
rest of the network (so, of course, the 2 desktops also do not
see the laptop) and that means there is no wireless printing

I've been scanning the vendor supports sites, and Googling the
Internet, and the only thing I can find is that there are lots
of wireless print servers... so I am about to conclude that what
I want to do just is not possible with the hardware I have, due
to something about the way the Actiontec dsl modem works

I have run the network and wireless "wizards" included with
WinXp on 3 computers, have all firewalls set to allow sharing,
including adding each computer's IP to the other's firewalls,
and am not able to get the laptop to see the other 2 computers,
and I've even turned firewalls OFF, and had no success
- all WEP keys are the same
- all work group names are the same
- all computer names are different
- all wireless group names are the same (the essid is set
according to the dsl modem instructions)
- WinXpSp2 on all, laptop and 1 desktop home, other desktop is
pro... the home/pro desktops DO work with each other
- all computers are configured for ONE user bootup/login, with
no login/password + administrator permissions as the default
- windows firewall is OFF on all 3, I use Norton on 2 and
Sygate on one, all configured to allow file/print sharing
- shouldn't make any difference, laptop is HP dv8000 (have no
idea of the name/model of built-in 802.11b/g hardware, but
works just fine to connect to the Internet, so I think the
problem is either with a software setting, or my next idea)

What I **think** is happening is that the 2 desktops are able
to communicate because the network connection is automatically
made inside the Linksys router... but the Actiontec modem is
not doing any "pass thru" to the wired Linksys connection, so
the laptop is on one "network" and the 2 desktops are on some
completly different "network" and I am not able to find any
way to make everything work together

Is my idea correct?

While reading and following links, I found several products
that combine DSL modem with BOTH wired/wireless functions in
one unit... so I am thinking that replacing my two boxes with
one all-in-one box SHOULD fix the problem of the laptop being
on a different "network" and allow printer sharing

Does this seem correct?

One (reasonably priced, just spent a lot of $$ on laptop) box
I found is the Zoom X6 5590 ADSL 2/2+ Modem w/ Wireless at
http://www.zoom.com/products/adsl_overview.html

Does anyone have direct experience with that model... and is
it going to create a network where the laptop and desktops
are all able to "see" each other and share resources?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Doug Sherman [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2006
Your analysis is more or less correct. The GT701-WG is not just a modem -
it is also a router, and your present configuration gives you two networks.
Try this:

1. Connect to your Linksys configuration page - probably
http://192.168.1.1, and disable DHCP on the router.

2. Disconnect the ethernet cable from the Linksys WAN/Internet port.
Instead plug this into one of the Linksys LAN ports - if one of these is
designated as an uplink port use that one. Reboot both desktops.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

<J> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've tried all vendor support sites and no luck, so I'm hoping
> someone here will have a solution, or even information that I
> can't do what I want and need different hardware (I have also
> read over 100 messages here [seems a LOT of people are having
> this same problem!] and did not find a fix
>
> My telco (Qwest) provided an Actiontec DSL Modem GT701-WG when I
> signed up for DSL - this unit has a built-in 802.11b/g wireless,
> and ONE wired output
>
> To connect 2 desktops, I bought a Linksys Firewall Router BEFSX41
> which I have connected to the one Actiontec wired output, and my
> 2 desktop computers are then wired to 2 of the 4 Linksys ports
>
> This all works very well, and after setup + firewall configuration
> my 2 desktop computers "see" each other, and I am able to print to
> my wife's inkjet printer that is hooked to her desktop via USB
>
> Then, we bought a laptop for my wife to be in the TV room and hit
> the web sites mentioned on her home design shows, so I activated
> the wireless part of the Actiontec, and she is now happy surfing
> the Internet and even checking email
>
> The problem is that NOTHING I do will make the laptop "see" the
> rest of the network (so, of course, the 2 desktops also do not
> see the laptop) and that means there is no wireless printing
>
> I've been scanning the vendor supports sites, and Googling the
> Internet, and the only thing I can find is that there are lots
> of wireless print servers... so I am about to conclude that what
> I want to do just is not possible with the hardware I have, due
> to something about the way the Actiontec dsl modem works
>
> I have run the network and wireless "wizards" included with
> WinXp on 3 computers, have all firewalls set to allow sharing,
> including adding each computer's IP to the other's firewalls,
> and am not able to get the laptop to see the other 2 computers,
> and I've even turned firewalls OFF, and had no success
> - all WEP keys are the same
> - all work group names are the same
> - all computer names are different
> - all wireless group names are the same (the essid is set
> according to the dsl modem instructions)
> - WinXpSp2 on all, laptop and 1 desktop home, other desktop is
> pro... the home/pro desktops DO work with each other
> - all computers are configured for ONE user bootup/login, with
> no login/password + administrator permissions as the default
> - windows firewall is OFF on all 3, I use Norton on 2 and
> Sygate on one, all configured to allow file/print sharing
> - shouldn't make any difference, laptop is HP dv8000 (have no
> idea of the name/model of built-in 802.11b/g hardware, but
> works just fine to connect to the Internet, so I think the
> problem is either with a software setting, or my next idea)
>
> What I **think** is happening is that the 2 desktops are able
> to communicate because the network connection is automatically
> made inside the Linksys router... but the Actiontec modem is
> not doing any "pass thru" to the wired Linksys connection, so
> the laptop is on one "network" and the 2 desktops are on some
> completly different "network" and I am not able to find any
> way to make everything work together
>
> Is my idea correct?
>
> While reading and following links, I found several products
> that combine DSL modem with BOTH wired/wireless functions in
> one unit... so I am thinking that replacing my two boxes with
> one all-in-one box SHOULD fix the problem of the laptop being
> on a different "network" and allow printer sharing
>
> Does this seem correct?
>
> One (reasonably priced, just spent a lot of $$ on laptop) box
> I found is the Zoom X6 5590 ADSL 2/2+ Modem w/ Wireless at
> http://www.zoom.com/products/adsl_overview.html
>
> Does anyone have direct experience with that model... and is
> it going to create a network where the laptop and desktops
> are all able to "see" each other and share resources?
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
J
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2006
Ok, and thanks... I will try that

The user guide that came with the Linksys is no help at all, but
the ports are labeled 1 2 3 4/DMZ so I will run the output from
the Actiontec to port 4 and see what happens

If it still doesn't work, do you think the Zoom X6 that has
everything in one box would do any better?

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 19:25:29 -0500, "Doug Sherman [MVP]"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Your analysis is more or less correct. The GT701-WG is not just a modem -
>it is also a router, and your present configuration gives you two networks.
>Try this:
>
>1. Connect to your Linksys configuration page - probably
>http://192.168.1.1, and disable DHCP on the router.
>
>2. Disconnect the ethernet cable from the Linksys WAN/Internet port.
>Instead plug this into one of the Linksys LAN ports - if one of these is
>designated as an uplink port use that one. Reboot both desktops.
>
>Doug Sherman
>MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
>
>> What I **think** is happening is that the 2 desktops are able
>> to communicate because the network connection is automatically
>> made inside the Linksys router... but the Actiontec modem is
>> not doing any "pass thru" to the wired Linksys connection, so
>> the laptop is on one "network" and the 2 desktops are on some
>> completly different "network" and I am not able to find any
>> way to make everything work together
>>
>> Is my idea correct?
>>
>> While reading and following links, I found several products
>> that combine DSL modem with BOTH wired/wireless functions in
>> one unit... so I am thinking that replacing my two boxes with
>> one all-in-one box SHOULD fix the problem of the laptop being
>> on a different "network" and allow printer sharing
>>
>> Does this seem correct?
>>
>> One (reasonably priced, just spent a lot of $$ on laptop) box
>> I found is the Zoom X6 5590 ADSL 2/2+ Modem w/ Wireless at
>> http://www.zoom.com/products/adsl_overview.html
>>
>> Does anyone have direct experience with that model... and is
>> it going to create a network where the laptop and desktops
>> are all able to "see" each other and share resources?


 
Reply With Quote
 
J
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2006
Thank you VERY much... moving the cable and turning off
dhcp in the linksys (I also turned off the firewall in
the linksys, since the dsl modem has one as well) worked
PERFECTLY to let all 3 comptuers see each other

My wife may now use her laptop and print to her desktop

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 17:13:24 -0800, J <> wrote:

>Ok, and thanks... I will try that
>
>The user guide that came with the Linksys is no help at all, but
>the ports are labeled 1 2 3 4/DMZ so I will run the output from
>the Actiontec to port 4 and see what happens
>
>If it still doesn't work, do you think the Zoom X6 that has
>everything in one box would do any better?
>
>On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 19:25:29 -0500, "Doug Sherman [MVP]"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Your analysis is more or less correct. The GT701-WG is not just a modem -
>>it is also a router, and your present configuration gives you two networks.
>>Try this:
>>
>>1. Connect to your Linksys configuration page - probably
>>http://192.168.1.1, and disable DHCP on the router.
>>
>>2. Disconnect the ethernet cable from the Linksys WAN/Internet port.
>>Instead plug this into one of the Linksys LAN ports - if one of these is
>>designated as an uplink port use that one. Reboot both desktops.
>>
>>Doug Sherman
>>MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
>>
>>> What I **think** is happening is that the 2 desktops are able
>>> to communicate because the network connection is automatically
>>> made inside the Linksys router... but the Actiontec modem is
>>> not doing any "pass thru" to the wired Linksys connection, so
>>> the laptop is on one "network" and the 2 desktops are on some
>>> completly different "network" and I am not able to find any
>>> way to make everything work together


 
Reply With Quote
 
Doug Sherman [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2006
I have no experience with the Zoom X6. Some after market modems may not be
compatible with all service providers, but this is less likely to be an
issue than it has been in the past.

All you should need to make your present network function is a switch, and
this is less expensive than a modem/wireless router device. However, you've
already got one - My suggested changes will essentially use your Linksys
router as a simple switch. Make sure you turn off its DHCP function.

Note - if the above works, your desktop will be getting an IP address from
the GT701 (probably 192.168.0.x). This means that you will no longer be
able to access the Linksys page at http://192.168.1.1 in the event that you
want to change its configuration again. Don't panic - you can temporarily
change your desktop IP to 192.168.1.2 and regain access to the router's
configuration page; or you could change the router's IP to something in the
192.168.0.x range; or resetting the router would restore the default DHCP
function.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

<J> wrote in message news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, and thanks... I will try that
>
> The user guide that came with the Linksys is no help at all, but
> the ports are labeled 1 2 3 4/DMZ so I will run the output from
> the Actiontec to port 4 and see what happens
>
> If it still doesn't work, do you think the Zoom X6 that has
> everything in one box would do any better?
>
> On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 19:25:29 -0500, "Doug Sherman [MVP]"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Your analysis is more or less correct. The GT701-WG is not just a

modem -
> >it is also a router, and your present configuration gives you two

networks.
> >Try this:
> >
> >1. Connect to your Linksys configuration page - probably
> >http://192.168.1.1, and disable DHCP on the router.
> >
> >2. Disconnect the ethernet cable from the Linksys WAN/Internet port.
> >Instead plug this into one of the Linksys LAN ports - if one of these is
> >designated as an uplink port use that one. Reboot both desktops.
> >
> >Doug Sherman
> >MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
> >
> >> What I **think** is happening is that the 2 desktops are able
> >> to communicate because the network connection is automatically
> >> made inside the Linksys router... but the Actiontec modem is
> >> not doing any "pass thru" to the wired Linksys connection, so
> >> the laptop is on one "network" and the 2 desktops are on some
> >> completly different "network" and I am not able to find any
> >> way to make everything work together
> >>
> >> Is my idea correct?
> >>
> >> While reading and following links, I found several products
> >> that combine DSL modem with BOTH wired/wireless functions in
> >> one unit... so I am thinking that replacing my two boxes with
> >> one all-in-one box SHOULD fix the problem of the laptop being
> >> on a different "network" and allow printer sharing
> >>
> >> Does this seem correct?
> >>
> >> One (reasonably priced, just spent a lot of $$ on laptop) box
> >> I found is the Zoom X6 5590 ADSL 2/2+ Modem w/ Wireless at
> >> http://www.zoom.com/products/adsl_overview.html
> >>
> >> Does anyone have direct experience with that model... and is
> >> it going to create a network where the laptop and desktops
> >> are all able to "see" each other and share resources?

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Doug Sherman [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-01-2006
Go get 'em, J!

See my 9:23 post in case you need to access the Linksys configuration
again - I sent this before I saw your 'SUCCESS'

HAPPY NEW YEAR

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

<J> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you VERY much... moving the cable and turning off
> dhcp in the linksys (I also turned off the firewall in
> the linksys, since the dsl modem has one as well) worked
> PERFECTLY to let all 3 comptuers see each other
>
> My wife may now use her laptop and print to her desktop
>
> On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 17:13:24 -0800, J <> wrote:
>
> >Ok, and thanks... I will try that
> >
> >The user guide that came with the Linksys is no help at all, but
> >the ports are labeled 1 2 3 4/DMZ so I will run the output from
> >the Actiontec to port 4 and see what happens
> >
> >If it still doesn't work, do you think the Zoom X6 that has
> >everything in one box would do any better?
> >
> >On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 19:25:29 -0500, "Doug Sherman [MVP]"
> ><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> >>Your analysis is more or less correct. The GT701-WG is not just a

modem -
> >>it is also a router, and your present configuration gives you two

networks.
> >>Try this:
> >>
> >>1. Connect to your Linksys configuration page - probably
> >>http://192.168.1.1, and disable DHCP on the router.
> >>
> >>2. Disconnect the ethernet cable from the Linksys WAN/Internet port.
> >>Instead plug this into one of the Linksys LAN ports - if one of these is
> >>designated as an uplink port use that one. Reboot both desktops.
> >>
> >>Doug Sherman
> >>MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
> >>
> >>> What I **think** is happening is that the 2 desktops are able
> >>> to communicate because the network connection is automatically
> >>> made inside the Linksys router... but the Actiontec modem is
> >>> not doing any "pass thru" to the wired Linksys connection, so
> >>> the laptop is on one "network" and the 2 desktops are on some
> >>> completly different "network" and I am not able to find any
> >>> way to make everything work together

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
router recognizes printer / printer does not recognixe router =?Utf-8?B?c2N3?= Wireless Networking 1 08-04-2006 01:17 AM
RE: Can't get file or printer sharing to work =?Utf-8?B?Qmx1ZVNrb2RhRHJpdmVy?= Wireless Networking 0 09-16-2005 01:16 PM
Wireless Networks - Printer Sharing - File Sharing =?Utf-8?B?RmlubmV5X1gx?= Wireless Networking 0 04-29-2005 05:22 AM
RE: Can't get file or printer sharing to work =?Utf-8?B?VmluYXkgUw==?= Wireless Networking 2 12-22-2004 03:10 PM
Re: Can't get file or printer sharing to work =?Utf-8?B?VGltSA==?= Wireless Networking 0 12-14-2004 11:13 AM



Advertisments