Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > CBC You don't know what your missing

CBC You don't know what your missing

fuzzy1

Why would the CBC not jump on the DVD bandwagon? They have some great and
near great shows lying around in their vaults. I for one would love to see
full seasons of:
CODCO
This hour has 22 minutes
Wayne and Shuster
Beachcombers
Anything by Rick Mercer
I know they are owned by the Canadian government but with supposed tight
budgets this would be a great cashcow.

Invid Fan

In article <osp2c.17544$(E-Mail Removed)>, fuzzy1
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Why would the CBC not jump on the DVD bandwagon?

Probably the same reason they didn't jump on the VHS bandwagon. Canada
is a small market, and while they'd sell some stuff to those of us in
the US border cities print runs would be low (and thus expensive).

> They have some great and
> near great shows lying around in their vaults. I for one would love to see
> full seasons of:
> CODCO
> This hour has 22 minutes

Would a news parody show really do well on video? I love The Daily
Show, but wouldn't pay for 5 year old episodes...

> Wayne and Shuster

This would be great. Maybe they're waiting for the last one to kick the
bucket so they don't have to pay royalties.

> Beachcombers
> Anything by Rick Mercer
> I know they are owned by the Canadian government but with supposed tight
> budgets this would be a great cashcow.

ARE they owned by the CBC, or by the production companies? And did
anyone bother keeping good copies of everything?

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

fuzzy1

"Invid Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:060320041551538585%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <osp2c.17544$(E-Mail Removed)>, fuzzy1
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > Why would the CBC not jump on the DVD bandwagon?

> Probably the same reason they didn't jump on the VHS bandwagon. Canada
> is a small market, and while they'd sell some stuff to those of us in
> the US border cities print runs would be low (and thus expensive).

No more expensive than producing SCTV which seems to be in great demand

> > They have some great and
> > near great shows lying around in their vaults. I for one would love to

see
> > full seasons of:
> > CODCO
> > This hour has 22 minutes

> Would a news parody show really do well on video? I love The Daily
> Show, but wouldn't pay for 5 year old episodes...

The only one there This hour, CODCO, like 4 on the Floor was a satire/
humour series.

> > Wayne and Shuster

> This would be great. Maybe they're waiting for the last one to kick the
> bucket so they don't have to pay royalties.

Frank Shuster died about 2 years ago,along with Tom Kneebone who died
late last year
and Johnny Wayne quite sometime ago
> > Beachcombers
> > Anything by Rick Mercer
> > I know they are owned by the Canadian government but with supposed tight
> > budgets this would be a great cashcow.
> >

> ARE they owned by the CBC, or by the production companies? And did
> anyone bother keeping good copies of everything?

Yes they are owned by the CBC they all recieved Canadian subsisties and
were produced and funded for the most part under the CBC banner.
One of the few truly Canadian produced shows was under CTV . The Starlost
was a badly acted and truly mediocer show that still has cult status in
Canada.

> --
> Chris Mack "Refugee, total ****. That's how I've always seen us.
> 'Invid Fan' Not a help, you'll admit, to agreement between us."
> -'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Waterperson77

>Why would the CBC not jump on the DVD bandwagon? They have some great and
>near great shows lying around in their vaults. I for one would love to see

I was also wondering why the Canadian yv dhows haven't been released on dvd in
season sets, yet.

You would think that they would notice the popularity of the U.S. season sets
of tv shows and the British season sets of tv shows, and release theirr own
Canadian series in season sets.

Some people in this newsgroup did say that "Second City TV" is going to be
released on dvd. (although I don't know if that's season sets or not).

However, none of them had an answer for whether it was the original Canadian
version being released on dvd or whether it was the U.S. version. (NBC).

My guess is that it's probably the U.S. version that aired on NBC instead of
the original Canadian version

although I would like to see the original Canadian version of it released on
dvd. (which was syndicated on individual tv stations in the U.S.)

Invid Fan

In article <PYs2c.17762$(E-Mail Removed)>, fuzzy1
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Invid Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:060320041551538585%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In article <osp2c.17544$(E-Mail Removed)>, fuzzy1
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > Why would the CBC not jump on the DVD bandwagon?

> > Probably the same reason they didn't jump on the VHS bandwagon. Canada
> > is a small market, and while they'd sell some stuff to those of us in
> > the US border cities print runs would be low (and thus expensive).

> No more expensive than producing SCTV which seems to be in great demand

That aired on a US network at some point, and had stars who went on to
bigger things. Everyone in the US knows about Bob and Doug from the
Great White North, few know about Beachcombers. Mabye these other shows
were seen in other Commonwealth countries and would have a large enough
market to justify releasing (I'm all for them coming out, but you have
to look at things from the CBC's point of view)

> > > They have some great and
> > > near great shows lying around in their vaults. I for one would love to

> see
> > > full seasons of:
> > > CODCO
> > > This hour has 22 minutes

> > Would a news parody show really do well on video? I love The Daily
> > Show, but wouldn't pay for 5 year old episodes...

> The only one there This hour, CODCO, like 4 on the Floor was a satire/
> humour series.

I never heard of CODCO (well, maybe I have but just don't know what
it's abreviating), but just didn't feel like deleting it from the list

> > > Wayne and Shuster

> > This would be great. Maybe they're waiting for the last one to kick the
> > bucket so they don't have to pay royalties.

> Frank Shuster died about 2 years ago,along with Tom Kneebone who died
> late last year
> and Johnny Wayne quite sometime ago

Shuster died? I honestly didn't know. I thought I saw a W&S clip show
not that long ago with him hosting, which would be strange to run if
both had passed away (better to re-package them yet again then to have
a now dead Shuster talking about his also dead partner)

> One of the few truly Canadian produced shows was under CTV . The Starlost
> was a badly acted and truly mediocer show that still has cult status in
> Canada.

Are you sure Canada wants to admit that?

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS