Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Firefly: The Movie!

Firefly: The Movie!

Richard G Amirault

Meng <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

:> Knowing that you aren't fond of any of Whedon's other works, I'd say
:> it's a risky proposition from your perspective.
:>
: Doesn't apply to me. I'm not into Buffy or any of its associates, but I love
: Firefly.

Likewise ..I'd never heard of Joss before this show. I haven't watched any
of his other shows .. and I don't plan to ... BUT I really enjoyed Firefly.
I recorded all the broadcast episodes (except the first because I didn't
know it was on) and burnt them to VCD ... then I bought the DVD set when it
came out

It took a few episodes for me to get the "message" Joss was sending (I
think it was "Our Mrs. Reynolds" that hooked me) so give it a chance.

You have to look past the obvious ("space western") to see the quality of
the show (somewhat like overlooking the crassness of South Park) but if
you can do that you'll be rewarded.

Richard in Boston

Chris Phillipo

In article <Xns94A383C917B65billgatescom@130.133.1.4>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk (Peter Briggs) wrote in
> news:1ga4dq8.1npn86l1ydb1a8N%pete@DIESPAMDIE!cines cribe.demon.co.uk:
>
> > Having not seen a frame of the TV show, and contemplating buying the box
> > DVD, I'm curious as to what others think of it?

> I have the box set of the series and was less then impressed, I will give
> the movie a miss.

Since he hasn't yet secured investors it won't be hard to miss.
--
____________________
Remove "X" from email address to reply.

Jay G

Chris Phillipo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>> I have the box set of the series and was less then impressed, I will
>> give the movie a miss.

> Since he hasn't yet secured investors it won't be hard to miss.

Actually, the movie was just green-lit by Universal.

-Jay

Mark Spatny

Peter Briggs,pete@DIESPAMDIE!cinescribe.demon.co.uk says...
> Having not seen a frame of the TV show, and contemplating buying the box
> DVD, I'm curious as to what others think of it?

Firefly is one of those shows that most people will be ambivalent about,
but has a very strong appeal to a small fan base. Fans are quite rabid
about it, like Buffy, Trek, and Millenium fans.

I watched a few episodes and got bored with it. The basic premise was
solid. The characters were interesting, although the series didn't last
long enough to develop them. The actors were good. Production value was
fantastic.

The downside, and the reason I stopped watching, was that the show
seemed to want to have that long-term X-Files backstory, but the writers
didn't put enough into the individual episodes to make those interesting
and self-contained. Kind of like a weak episode of Babylon 5. Also, the
'Cowboys in space' motif was a little silly. Twangy steel-guitar music,
costuming influenced by Tombstone, the whole deal.

Rich Clark

"Mark Spatny" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) k.net...

>Twangy steel-guitar music,
> costuming influenced by Tombstone, the whole deal.

Well, I challenge you to find an actual steel guitar anywhere in the score.
Fair amount of dobro, though, and a very folk/roots sort of feel to parts of
it. I was extremely impressed with how much of a mix of styles the composer
made work in this series: the music transitioned smoothly from the folk
influence to scifi action music to a variety of world music styles so subtly
it was easy not to notice it.

As for the costumes and setting, well, perhaps the "cowboys in space" motif
was too easily keyed on, but there are a couple of things to say about that.

For one, the rationale -- that these colonies were sent out from Earth in a
rapid diaspora where the colony ships landed with little more than basic
tools and the means to maintain a pre-industrial society -- was explained in
the (unaired until too late) pilot, and makes reasonable sense. (Note that a
similar premise formed the basis for one of the better episodes in
Heinlein's sf classic "Time Enough for Love"). Horses don't require advanced
technology to make more, and agriculture is likewise self-sustaining.

For another, there is an additional culture -- Chinese -- that's also very
pervasive in the show. That it's not focused on reflects only the show's
origins and target audience, not its lack of acknowledgement of the relative
importance of multiculturalism. That seeds like these were planted but never
given a chance to grow is one of the tragedies of series' premature demise.

As for costumes, well, when you make your clothes out of homespun fabric and
animal skins it all tends to take on a certain look. That the producers went
a little overboard in using Western tropes -- train robberies, gunfights,
"cattle drives," etc. -- is (IMO) no more egregious than Star Trek's
insistence on humanoid aliens (for example). Some things you do because it
makes things possible at all; other things you do because it looks cool and
has a high fun quotient.

RichC