Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > a progressive player that's 4:3 friendly?

a progressive player that's 4:3 friendly?

E. Duvick

Hi all.

Does anyone know of a progressive scan player that will "box" the
sides of a 4:3 source for progressive playback? The setting for
progressive output is buried in my players settings and I'm tired of
digging in to change it everytime I watch a TV series on dvd. A
player with a single button on the remote to change the progressive
setting would be fine too. I just want the process simplified.

Thanks, Erik

Richard C.

"E. Duvick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
: Hi all.
:
: Does anyone know of a progressive scan player that will "box" the
: sides of a 4:3 source for progressive playback? The setting for
: progressive output is buried in my players settings and I'm tired of
: digging in to change it everytime I watch a TV series on dvd. A
: player with a single button on the remote to change the progressive
: setting would be fine too. I just want the process simplified.
:
================================
All of my 4:3 aspect ratio DVDs display fine with my progressive player.
Pioneer Elite 46.
==============================

Grand Inquisitor

E. Duvick wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Does anyone know of a progressive scan player that will "box" the
> sides of a 4:3 source for progressive playback? The setting for
> progressive output is buried in my players settings and I'm tired of
> digging in to change it everytime I watch a TV series on dvd. A
> player with a single button on the remote to change the progressive
> setting would be fine too. I just want the process simplified.
>
> Thanks, Erik

Are you absolutely positive there isn't a simple switch on the back of
your player for pro-to-interlace selection? If your player makes you
jump that many hurdles for a simple operation like this how good can it
be? What model is it?

and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor

Erik N. Duvick

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 02:55:19 +0000, Grand Inquisitor wrote:

> Are you absolutely positive there isn't a simple switch on the back of
> your player for pro-to-interlace selection? If your player makes you
> jump that many hurdles for a simple operation like this how good can it
> be? What model is it?

It's a Pioneer DV-260. No, there is no switch. Even if there was it
would still be a hassle to pull the player out of the cabnet to flip the
switch. What I'm looking for is a prog scan player that will "correct"
for the 4:3 aspect ratio on a widescreen TV. Similar to what any dvd
player does for 2.35:1 on a standard TV. This is an issue only because,
when in progressive mode, my player forces 1.78:1 ratio so I can't change
my tv to 4:3. Thus, any 4:3 source gets streched or I go through the
process of turning off progressive mode in the player. Are there models
that don't force a certain ratio? Is it just mine that does?

Thanks again, Erik

sumoneOnRR

Hmmm, my Panasonic (F65?) doesn't do that. It will stretch the screen to
full in progressive mode, but I can just change the TV to 4:3 if I want
without any other tricks. What it won't do in progressive is Justify -
center unnstretched, then stretching the edges.

"Erik N. Duvick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) rg...
> On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 02:55:19 +0000, Grand Inquisitor wrote:
>

> > Are you absolutely positive there isn't a simple switch on the back of
> > your player for pro-to-interlace selection? If your player makes you
> > jump that many hurdles for a simple operation like this how good can it
> > be? What model is it?

> It's a Pioneer DV-260. No, there is no switch. Even if there was it
> would still be a hassle to pull the player out of the cabnet to flip the
> switch. What I'm looking for is a prog scan player that will "correct"
> for the 4:3 aspect ratio on a widescreen TV. Similar to what any dvd
> player does for 2.35:1 on a standard TV. This is an issue only because,
> when in progressive mode, my player forces 1.78:1 ratio so I can't change
> my tv to 4:3. Thus, any 4:3 source gets streched or I go through the
> process of turning off progressive mode in the player. Are there models
> that don't force a certain ratio? Is it just mine that does?
>
> Thanks again, Erik

sumoneOnRR

Hmmm, my Panasonic (F65?) doesn't do that. It will stretch the screen to
full in progressive mode, but I can just change the TV to 4:3 if I want
without any other tricks. What it won't do in progressive is Justify -
center unnstretched, then stretching the edges.

"Erik N. Duvick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) rg...
> On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 02:55:19 +0000, Grand Inquisitor wrote:
>

> > Are you absolutely positive there isn't a simple switch on the back of
> > your player for pro-to-interlace selection? If your player makes you
> > jump that many hurdles for a simple operation like this how good can it
> > be? What model is it?

> It's a Pioneer DV-260. No, there is no switch. Even if there was it
> would still be a hassle to pull the player out of the cabnet to flip the
> switch. What I'm looking for is a prog scan player that will "correct"
> for the 4:3 aspect ratio on a widescreen TV. Similar to what any dvd
> player does for 2.35:1 on a standard TV. This is an issue only because,
> when in progressive mode, my player forces 1.78:1 ratio so I can't change
> my tv to 4:3. Thus, any 4:3 source gets streched or I go through the
> process of turning off progressive mode in the player. Are there models
> that don't force a certain ratio? Is it just mine that does?
>
> Thanks again, Erik

Douglas Bailey

Erik N. Duvick wrote:
> What I'm looking for is a prog scan player that will "correct" for the
> 4:3 aspect ratio on a widescreen TV....[t]his is an issue only because,
> when in progressive mode, my player forces 1.78:1 ratio so I can't
> change my tv to 4:3. Thus, any 4:3 source gets streched or I go through
> the process of turning off progressive mode in the player.

The Panasonic RP-91 will do what you're looking for: for non-anamorphic
video, it defaults to shrinking 1.33:1 images to fit in the middle of the
16:9 screen (with black pillarboxing). For correctly-flagged 4:3
letterboxed titles (non-anamorphic widescreen), it'll zoom without
stretching, so that the video covers the entire width of the screen. I'm a
big fan of this feature: my TV doesn't lock into FULL mode, but it's still
nice not to constantly have to cycle the TV's input modes.

Now the bad news: the RP-91 has been out of production for at least a year,
and I don't know -- off the top of my head -- of any other player that does
this.

Another option for getting around your set's FULL lock is to use a HTPC:
see <http://www.the-doa.com/Pages/DoaFullLock3.html> for some discussion of
this.

HTH,

doug

--
"You know some people need nothing else..."
--Shriekback