Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > switching tgo a preset ip address

switching tgo a preset ip address

Jeff

My home wireless network (Windows XP) is setup so that the various computers
receive their IP addresses from my wireless router through DHCP.

How do I change things so that each PC in the network as a predefined IP
address within the range the router is setup for?

Thanks.

Jeff

Sooner Al [MVP]

You could use static IP addressing making sure each IP is outside the normal
DHCP assigned range for desktop PCs and allow wireless devices get DHCP
assigned IP addresses within a narrow scope. Ie. only allow two or three
DHCP IP addresses on your network. That is configured in your router.

http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

Otherwise your router might have an option to assign DHCP addresses by MAC
Address. My Buffalo WBR-G54 does that so I assign my wireless laptop and my
iPAQ 5555 PocketPC a DHCP IP based on their particular MAC Address. My
desktops use static IP addressing.

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

benefit of all of us...