Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Mac iDVD 4.0?

Mac iDVD 4.0?

Derek Janssen

Tech question for that particular splinter, but:

Anyone taken the new iDVD 4.0 (the one that you have to actually, ack,
*BUY* hard-copy, as part of Apple's new "integrated" iLife '04) for a
DVD-R burning test drive?

Reason I asked, among the new changes is a "Best Quality" option that
adjusts recording speed for extended length (as with 3.x's old 60 min.
vs. 90 min. option)--
And could've sworn the box-copy advertising said something about "Now
record up to 2 hours", but haven't seen anything in Help to back that up.

....Any confirmation from those who know?

Derek Janssen

Urra Dipschitt

In article <40426def$0$3094$(E-Mail Removed)>,
Derek Janssen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Tech question for that particular splinter, but:
>
> Anyone taken the new iDVD 4.0 (the one that you have to actually, ack,
> *BUY* hard-copy, as part of Apple's new "integrated" iLife '04) for a
> DVD-R burning test drive?

Wrong newsgroup. Try comp.sys.mac.apps

unclejr

Derek Janssen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> Reason I asked, among the new changes is a "Best Quality" option that
> adjusts recording speed for extended length (as with 3.x's old 60 min.
> vs. 90 min. option)--
> And could've sworn the box-copy advertising said something about "Now
> record up to 2 hours", but haven't seen anything in Help to back that up.
>
> ...Any confirmation from those who know?

Although I normally ignore this type of thread in a.v.dvd and only
answer them in a.v.dvd.authoring or a.v.dvdr, I respect your
contributions to this NG enough to answer it here (I have crossposted
it to a.v.dvd.authoring, a more germane NG for this type of question).

No, I do not have iDVD 4, but an internet friend of mine does. As he
has described it to me, the program is still CBR with PCM 48 kHz audio
(no DD 2.0), and yes, it now encodes 2-hour video on one 4.38 Gb disc.
Here is a breakdown of the video bitrates:

60 minutes -- 8.0 Mbps at CBR.
90 minutes -- 6.0 Mbps at CBR.
120 minutes -- 4.0 Mbps at CBR.

HTH,

-Junior

drsd2kill

I have iDVD 4 and I like it a lot - it can hold up to 2 hrs, but that includes
any motion menus or looping audio in menus, so it can be a little misleading.

I've been happy with the quality making DVD editions of many of my rare
Laserdiscs and of Laserdisc special features missing from the DVD versions. I
try and limit how much I put on a DVD becasue I found packing it TOO full
brings about some compression-related artifacting.