Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Region-free players...?

Region-free players...?

Video Flyer

I'm in the U.S. and in the market for a region-free, dual NTSC and PAL
output DVD player. So, I'm soliciting recommendations.

And opinions. For example, the Malata DVP-558. I'm not the least bit
familiar with this brand - are they any good? Is this a reliable player?

Any advice would be most appreciated. I'm tired of being limited to Region 1

Neal

TailgunnerJoe

I've heard and read positive reviews on the JVC's:
http://www.220-electronics.com/

Momitsu fits your bill too:

https://www2.setssl.com/~hivizone/dv...main_frame.htm

The new Shinco at the above site looks interesting too.

As for Malata, I own a DVD-N996, one of the first Region-Free players to
correctly output a 16:9 PAL DVD to a NTSC TV. Read more about the
Malata's at http://www.nerd-out.com/ Someone else recently asked about
the 558 there, but, has yet to receive a reply.

"Video Flyer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BC66B5D2.9185%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm in the U.S. and in the market for a region-free, dual NTSC and PAL
> output DVD player. So, I'm soliciting recommendations.
>
> And opinions. For example, the Malata DVP-558. I'm not the least bit
> familiar with this brand - are they any good? Is this a reliable player?
>
> Any advice would be most appreciated. I'm tired of being limited to Region

1

> Neal
> --
> "If morons could fly, it'd be pitch black." - Anonymous

Karl S

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 13:08:14 GMT, "TailgunnerJoe" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I've heard and read positive reviews on the JVC's:
>http://www.220-electronics.com/
>
>Momitsu fits your bill too:
>
>https://www2.setssl.com/~hivizone/dv...main_frame.htm

I just bought a Momitsu from here:

http://www.extremephono.com/momitsu_dvd_v880.htm

I am very happy with it. Some of the earlier versions had problems,
but the latest ones, like mine, work very well.

Karl

Charles Eggen

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 03:17:07 GMT, Video Flyer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm in the U.S. and in the market for a region-free, dual NTSC and PAL
>output DVD player. So, I'm soliciting recommendations.
>
>And opinions. For example, the Malata DVP-558. I'm not the least bit
>familiar with this brand - are they any good? Is this a reliable player?
>
>Any advice would be most appreciated. I'm tired of being limited to Region 1
>

>Neal

About a year ago, I purchased a modified JVC XV-S500 from:

http://www.zonefreedvd.com/

I have had no problems, of any kind, and it plays all zones, NTSC or
PAL, faithfully on my 48" Mitsubishi HDTV. Understand that you must be
feeding it to an NTSC or multisystem TV. I just checked the
zonefreedvd website and it would appear that their current equiv.
would be a modified JVC XV N44. Their price is $339 + shipping. This
unit has a progressive scan output, as well as component and composite
It also plays the new CD-R/RW recordable CD formats,DVD-R, DVD+RW,
DVD-RW SVCD, VCD, JPEG, WMA and MP3 formats.

Cheers,

Charles
nzvideos.org

Paul Lefebvre

be sure to check your selection out at epinions.com before you buy.
PL

Video Flyer <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm in the U.S. and in the market for a region-free, dual NTSC and PAL
>output DVD player. So, I'm soliciting recommendations.
>
>And opinions. For example, the Malata DVP-558. I'm not the least bit
>familiar with this brand - are they any good? Is this a reliable player?
>
>Any advice would be most appreciated. I'm tired of being limited to Region 1
>

>Neal

Paul Lefebvre
plefebvre@*removethis*wwdc.com
Visit my website!
http://www.geocities.com/joeyp99

el stinky

Video Flyer wrote:
> I'm in the U.S. and in the market for a region-free, dual NTSC and PAL
> output DVD player. So, I'm soliciting recommendations.
>
> And opinions. For example, the Malata DVP-558. I'm not the least bit
> familiar with this brand - are they any good? Is this a reliable
> player?
>
> Any advice would be most appreciated. I'm tired of being limited to
> Region 1
>
> Neal

i am WAY more than happy about my cyberhome CH DVD500 which i have had since
nov 2002, cost me 60 bucks and plays everything but tortillas. Region Hack
is easy, also macrovision disable if need be. NTSC, PAL, will run on 220 if
you want to bring it across the pond. get em at frys.

http://store.arguselectronics.com/sh...5Fid=8&sku=803

Cernovog

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 22:17:07 -0500, Video Flyer wrote
(in message <BC66B5D2.9185%(E-Mail Removed)>):

> I'm in the U.S. and in the market for a region-free, dual NTSC and PAL
> output DVD player. So, I'm soliciting recommendations.

The best tool for buying a new DVD player, especially if you've got specific
needs like region free and PAL to NTSC conversion, is http://www.dvdrhelp.com

My brother bought a DVD player for me for Christmas, I took it back to Best
Buy to exchange for a region free version. Well, they stopped carrying the
model I wanted, so, like a total idiot, I asked the floor salesmen for help.
The guy I talked to had no clue, but honestly tried to look something up on
the computer.

He asked someone else for help, who loudly announced (as though I weren't
standing right there) "Absolutely not. I know for a fact we don't carry
*ANYTHING* that will play any kind of foreign disc."

I went back home and using bestbuy.com and dvdrhelp.com, I managed to find
half a dozen DVD players that fit my needs (PAL to NTSC conversion with
possible region free mods).

As much as I love my brother, I absolutely hate being forced to go back and
forth to Worst Buy. That place is clueless.

I just realized I'm supposed to be helping you find a new DVD player, and
here I am ranting about my bad shopping experience. My apologies. I hope that
site helps you out.