Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > $20 for DVDs is a joke.

$20 for DVDs is a joke.

turntrio

90% of movie releases are so marginal they're not worth
more than $10 I buy 1 or 2 dvds titles per year
at $15 to $20. Anything else over $10 they can keep.
Why does the movie industry keep supporting rentals at
$2 to $3, when they could convert these rentals to $6 - $10 sales.

anon

Because a single rental will be rented alot more than once, its that simple.
You think Blockbuster buys 50 copys of a movie, rents each one once, then
sells them? If so, I have some beachfront property in Arizona you can have,
dirt cheap.

methos

"turntrio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> 90% of movie releases are so marginal they're not worth
> more than $10 I buy 1 or 2 dvds titles per year
> at $15 to $20. Anything else over $10 they can keep.
> Why does the movie industry keep supporting rentals at
> $2 to $3, when they could convert these rentals to $6 - $10 sales.

Justin

anon wrote on [Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:40:49 GMT]:
> Because a single rental will be rented alot more than once, its that simple.
> You think Blockbuster buys 50 copys of a movie, rents each one once, then
> sells them? If so, I have some beachfront property in Arizona you can have,
> dirt cheap.

You think Blockbuster buys DVDs?

djskyler

"turntrio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> 90% of movie releases are so marginal they're not worth
> more than $10 I buy 1 or 2 dvds titles per year
> at $15 to $20. Anything else over $10 they can keep.
> Why does the movie industry keep supporting rentals at
> $2 to $3, when they could convert these rentals to $6 - $10 sales.

It depends on what you mean by "support." When a release is brand new,
video rental stores and fans of the movie buy millions of copies for the
$20. Six months later, titles often are repriced by the studios down to
$14.99, and you pay just $9.44 or even $5.88 at Wal-Mart. Video rental
stores are a sure sale for movies studios on a title's release date, but if
the rental stores went away, the movie studios would certainly adjust their
pricing for a new market.

Grand Inquisitor

turntrio wrote:
> 90% of movie releases are so marginal they're not worth
> more than $10 I buy 1 or 2 dvds titles per year
> at $15 to $20. Anything else over $10 they can keep.
> Why does the movie industry keep supporting rentals at
> $2 to $3, when they could convert these rentals to $6 - $10 sales.

Plenty of movies are well-worth the price, I even pay more than thirty
bucks for just one movie if it's worth it too me. Stop buying all the
Kangaroo Jacks and buy something black and white for a change, learn
that there were movies *before* Star Wars.

and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor

Richard C.

"turntrio" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
: 90% of movie releases are so marginal they're not worth
: more than $10 I buy 1 or 2 dvds titles per year
: at $15 to $20. Anything else over $10 they can keep.
: Why does the movie industry keep supporting rentals at
: $2 to $3, when they could convert these rentals to $6 - $10 sales.

=========
DVDs are cheap.

"movie industry" does not set the price of rentals.

They are making money fine.
==============

Richard C.

news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
:
: You think Blockbuster buys DVDs?
:
======================
Of course they do.

How do you think they get them?
====================

goldfgn@telus.net

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:46:59 -0600, "Jay G" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Richard C. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>
>>> You think Blockbuster buys DVDs?
>>>

>> ======================
>> Of course they do.
>>
>> How do you think they get them?
>> ====================

>Blockbuster has revenue-sharing agreements with some
>studios. They "lease" the DVDs for cheap, in exchange for
>giving the studio a share of each individual rental.
>This is how Blockbust franchises are able to
>afford having so many copies of certain new releases.

Read carefully, you "almost" got that right. The article talks about
VHS which BB has a rental agreement with the studios, but not for DVD.
BB is making a mint out of renting DVD. They buy one DVD for $16
(probably with volume discount) and each disc is being rented around
10-20 times for $5 each. After that, BB will sell you the used disc
for $10. You do the math.

That's why the studios are ****ed with BB because BB talks money away
from the studios.

>From:
>http://www.alwayson-network.com/comm...d=2923_0_5_0_C
>
> Blockbuster turned around all of this. Instead of purchasing the
> videotapes for $60-$75, which limited each store to approximately
> 40 copies of each hit movie and lead to the "disappointment factor,"
> they leased each video tape for $8-$12 and received as many as
> 120 copies. In return, the movie studios or wholesalers received
> 30%-40% of the rental revenue.
>
>-Jay

Jay G

From:
http://www.alwayson-network.com/comm...d=2923_0_5_0_C

Blockbuster turned around all of this. Instead of purchasing the
videotapes for $60-$75, which limited each store to approximately
40 copies of each hit movie and lead to the "disappointment factor,"
they leased each video tape for $8-$12 and received as many as
120 copies. In return, the movie studios or wholesalers received
30%-40% of the rental revenue.

-Jay

Monte Castleman

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,

>90% of movie releases are so marginal they're not worth
>more than $10 I buy 1 or 2 dvds titles per year
>at $15 to $20. Anything else over $10 they can keep.
>Why does the movie industry keep supporting rentals at
>$2 to $3, when they could convert these rentals to $6 - $10 sales.

I spent up to $50 each on laserdiscs. I'm not complaining about DVD
prices nowdays.

--
Monte Castleman, <<Spamfilter in Use>>
Bloomington, MN <<to email, remove the "q" from address>>