Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Don't sell your Godfather Collection just yet

Don't sell your Godfather Collection just yet

reg@dwight.com

On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 04:22:15 GMT, Duncan Idaho
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) (JONA99) wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Exactly 24 hours after I sold my Godfather Collection in anticipation
>> of May 11th, the Digital Bits says the reissue will be the EXACT SAME
>> TRANSFER and not the restoration we've been hearing about since last
>> fall. I am now officially and royally ****ed off.

Why did you sell the set in the first place?? The only title being
reissued is "The Godfather" nothing else . . . .

One-Shot Scot

"Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c268tu$i18$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "One-Shot Scot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> After The Turk (Solozzo) made an attempt on his father's life, Michael
> Corleone agreed to a meeting with him and his bodyguard Captain
> McClusky at an Italian restaurant located in The Bronx. During that
> meeting, Michael retrieved a hidden gun and killed, not only The Turk
> who was a top mob figure, but a New York City police captain as well.
> Then Michael Corleone fled to Sicily to avoid the heat from both the
> mob and the police. Later, after a meeting of the heads of all of the

top
> five New York crime families, a peace treaty was worked out so that
> Michael could return to New York without fear of mob retribution.
> HOWEVER, neither of the movies tells how the Corleone family was
> able to square things with the police. After all, Michael had killed a

police
> captain and the cops knew all about it. Michael was even accused of
> committing this crime during the senate investigation in Part 2.
>
> Fortunately, this problem and many others are explained in Mario
> Puzo's book 'The Godfather' -- the greatest piece of pulp fiction ever
> written.

<<The movie makes mention of painting the police captain as a crooked
cop to the press, same as the book. Mike>>

This is true. The police captain was mixed up in drugs, gambling and
prostitution. He was a crooked cop who got what was coming to him. But
that still didn't get Michael off the hook for murdering him.

In the book, the Corleone family worked out a deal with a button man on
death row who was soon to be executed. The deal was that if he would
confess to the murder of Captain McClusky and Solozzo, his family would
be taken care of for life. (It's a variation on the deal that Tom Hagen
worked out with Frankie Pentangeli after he refused to testify against
Michael during the senate investigations. Only Pentangeli's deal
required that he kill himself.)

Then, after the death row confession, the Corleone family used its
influence to change the testimony of the eye witnesses in the restaurant
so that they described the other man, instead of Michael. After that,
all charges against Michael were dismissed and he could safely return to
New York.

It's too bad that Godfather 3 wasn't able to tell the stories of some of
the other fascinating characters who appear in the movies, such as Al
Neri, Luca Brasi and Enzo.

Joseph Paturbo

"One-Shot Scot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> "Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c268tu$i18$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "One-Shot Scot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > After The Turk (Solozzo) made an attempt on his father's life, Michael
> > Corleone agreed to a meeting with him and his bodyguard Captain
> > McClusky at an Italian restaurant located in The Bronx. During that
> > meeting, Michael retrieved a hidden gun and killed, not only The Turk
> > who was a top mob figure, but a New York City police captain as well.
> > Then Michael Corleone fled to Sicily to avoid the heat from both the
> > mob and the police. Later, after a meeting of the heads of all of the

> top
> > five New York crime families, a peace treaty was worked out so that
> > Michael could return to New York without fear of mob retribution.
> > HOWEVER, neither of the movies tells how the Corleone family was
> > able to square things with the police. After all, Michael had killed a

> police
> > captain and the cops knew all about it. Michael was even accused of
> > committing this crime during the senate investigation in Part 2.
> >
> > Fortunately, this problem and many others are explained in Mario
> > Puzo's book 'The Godfather' -- the greatest piece of pulp fiction ever
> > written.

> <<The movie makes mention of painting the police captain as a crooked
> cop to the press, same as the book. Mike>>
>

> This is true. The police captain was mixed up in drugs, gambling and
> prostitution. He was a crooked cop who got what was coming to him. But
> that still didn't get Michael off the hook for murdering him.
>
> In the book, the Corleone family worked out a deal with a button man on
> death row who was soon to be executed. The deal was that if he would
> confess to the murder of Captain McClusky and Solozzo, his family would
> be taken care of for life. (It's a variation on the deal that Tom Hagen
> worked out with Frankie Pentangeli after he refused to testify against
> Michael during the senate investigations. Only Pentangeli's deal
> required that he kill himself.)
>
> Then, after the death row confession, the Corleone family used its
> influence to change the testimony of the eye witnesses in the restaurant
> so that they described the other man, instead of Michael. After that,
> all charges against Michael were dismissed and he could safely return to
> New York.
>
> It's too bad that Godfather 3 wasn't able to tell the stories of some of
> the other fascinating characters who appear in the movies, such as Al
> Neri, Luca Brasi and Enzo.

One of the other parts of the book that I enjoy, but is barely
referred to in the film, is that whole backstory of the Boccocio (sp?)
family. They are the "negotiator" that's playing cards while Micheal
attends he meeting. If Michael is harmed, the negotiator dies and the
Boccocio (or however you spell it) takes their revenge. Pretty good
system!

Jim

Ditto.

"JONA99" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Well, I don't know who the **** Robert Harris is, and we can argue back

and
> forth all night on the quality of the Godfather transfer -- as I'm sure

has
> already been done ad nauseum in this newsgroup -- but I'm in the camp that
> agrees with The New York Times "When Bad DVDs Happen to Great Films"

article.

Jim

Great article. Thanks.

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...