Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Don't sell your Godfather Collection just yet

Don't sell your Godfather Collection just yet

JONA99

Exactly 24 hours after I sold my Godfather Collection in anticipation of May
11th, the Digital Bits says the reissue will be the EXACT SAME TRANSFER and not
the restoration we've been hearing about since last fall. I am now officially
and royally ****ed off.

Michael Rogers

It was only the first movie anyway.

Mike

JONA99 wrote:

> Exactly 24 hours after I sold my Godfather Collection in anticipation of May
> 11th, the Digital Bits says the reissue will be the EXACT SAME TRANSFER and not
> the restoration we've been hearing about since last fall. I am now officially
> and royally ****ed off.

Scot Gardner

"JONA99" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Exactly 24 hours after I sold my Godfather Collection in anticipation

of
> May 11th, the Digital Bits says the reissue will be the EXACT SAME
> TRANSFER and not the restoration we've been hearing about since last
> fall. I am now officially and royally ****ed off.

****! Oh dear!

Now what? The _Godfather_ collection still sells for $40-50. It seems
that Paramount wants to release only the first movie as a single and I
never did figure out who would want _The Godfather_ without _The
Godfather 2_ and the extras disk.

That _Godfather 3_ piece of crap just went along for the ride.

goldfgn@telus.net

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 20:18:13 -0800, "Scot Gardner"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"JONA99" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Exactly 24 hours after I sold my Godfather Collection in anticipation

>of
>> May 11th, the Digital Bits says the reissue will be the EXACT SAME
>> TRANSFER and not the restoration we've been hearing about since last
>> fall. I am now officially and royally ****ed off.

I sold mine last year. Since HD DVD is upon us, might as well wait
for the HD version to come out in 2-3 years by my guesstimation.

JONA99

I don't give a **** about Godfather 3 or the extras disc; I just want a decent
transfer of the first one, was looking forward to May 11, and figured that a
restored Part Two would be released soon after. (As for the current
transfers: No, they're NOT supposed to look like that.)

Jens Thomsen

JONA99 wrote:

> (As for the current transfers: No, they're NOT supposed to look like
> that.)

Yes, they are. They were approved by Coppola himself.

Robert Harris had this to say about the DVD on HTF:

"I've just completed viewing the new DVD of The Godfather.
After reading the negative responses from this group, I was expecting the
worst.
Understanding that reproduction results can vary from player to player, I'm
seeing no problems whatsoever on my playback equipment.
The look, the texture, the color palette of the original dye transfer prints
are, IMHO, beautifully reproduced by Paramount for this video release.
Even problems which I have seen on film elements have been made transparent
via this transfer.
Other than an occasional speckling of minus density (negative dirt which
prints as clear - white - on prints), a norm on negatives which have been
mistreated and overly printed, I see no problems.
A beautiful transfer which properly represents the film."

--
Jens Thomsen
"Taste is directly proportional to experience"

JONA99

Well, I don't know who the **** Robert Harris is, and we can argue back and
forth all night on the quality of the Godfather transfer -- as I'm sure has
already been done ad nauseum in this newsgroup -- but I'm in the camp that
agrees with The New York Times "When Bad DVDs Happen to Great Films" article.

Douglas Bailey

JONA99 wrote:
> Well, I don't know who the **** Robert Harris is...

Robert A. Harris is a film restoration expert: he restored _Spartacus_,
_Vertigo_, _Lawrence of Arabia_, _My Fair Lady_ and _Rear Window_, among
others:

<http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002643/>

As someone who works professionally with film, he's got a pretty
encyclopedic knowledge of the photochemical processes involved in
filmmaking (and consequently, he's a fairly authoritative source as to what
films are *supposed* to look like).

In the absence of any hard evidence to the contrary, I'm willing to take
RAH's word -- and, as Jens pointed out earlier in the thread, that of
Coppola, the film's director -- that the DVD transfer is an accurate
representation of the intended look of _The Godfather_.

What, exactly, is it that you think is wrong with the transfer? How do you
believe it *should* look?

doug

--
"Everything is good these days, but all of my friends are dying..."
--Magnapop

profft

I agree, I've never had any problems with disc 1 or 2

"Jens Thomsen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c1s0qi$1lu1v1$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> JONA99 wrote:
>
> > (As for the current transfers: No, they're NOT supposed to look like
> > that.)

> Yes, they are. They were approved by Coppola himself.
>
> Robert Harris had this to say about the DVD on HTF:
>
> "I've just completed viewing the new DVD of The Godfather.
> After reading the negative responses from this group, I was expecting the
> worst.
> Understanding that reproduction results can vary from player to player,

I'm
> seeing no problems whatsoever on my playback equipment.
> The look, the texture, the color palette of the original dye transfer

prints
> are, IMHO, beautifully reproduced by Paramount for this video release.
> Even problems which I have seen on film elements have been made

transparent
> via this transfer.
> Other than an occasional speckling of minus density (negative dirt which
> prints as clear - white - on prints), a norm on negatives which have been
> mistreated and overly printed, I see no problems.
> A beautiful transfer which properly represents the film."
>

> --
> Jens Thomsen
> "Taste is directly proportional to experience"

CLOSEDOWN8

>What, exactly, is it that you think is wrong with the transfer? How do you
>believe it *should* look?

Some people won't be satisfied unless it looks like it was shot digitally.
"That's the worst reverse-acting I've ever seen!" -Sam Raimi