Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > How to put a 320X240 video on DVD?

How to put a 320X240 video on DVD?

Stuff

When I try to put a 320X240 movie on DVD, the authoring software (TMPGEnc as
well as Roxio) "stretches" the video to full screen. The resolution of the
video can't handle this so the image quality is very poor. Anyway to put it
on a DVD and leave the image "unstretched"?

erratic

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:23:33 GMT, "Stuff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>When I try to put a 320X240 movie on DVD, the authoring software (TMPGEnc as
>well as Roxio) "stretches" the video to full screen. The resolution of the
>video can't handle this so the image quality is very poor. Anyway to put it
>on a DVD and leave the image "unstretched"?

You can make a low resolution DVD with TMPGEnc's Project Wizard. The
video will still be resized to 352x240 but this won't be as bad as
resizing it to 720x480.

If you choose Center as the video arrange method on the Advanced tab,
TMPGEnc will not resize the video, but add black bars instead. However,
this will result in an incorrect aspect ratio on your TV.

Frank

"Stuff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:FWL%b.6295$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> When I try to put a 320X240 movie on DVD, the authoring software (TMPGEnc

as
> well as Roxio) "stretches" the video to full screen. The resolution of the
> video can't handle this so the image quality is very poor. Anyway to put

it
> on a DVD and leave the image "unstretched"?

encode it with TMPenc but make sure under the advanced setting you set the
video arrange method to "full screen keep aspect ratio"

Stuff

Tried that in TMPGEnc Plus to create the mpg, but when actually burned the
DVD with TMPGEnc Author, it stretched it to 720X480.
news:0fM%b.15385$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be...

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:56:44 GMT, "Stuff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Tried that in TMPGEnc Plus to create the mpg, but when actually burned the
>DVD with TMPGEnc Author, it stretched it to 720X480.

I haven't used TMPGEnc DVD Author, but AFAIK it doesn't re-encode the
video, and stretching it would make re-encoding necessary. So if the
video is not re-encoded, it's not stretched or changed in any way.

Stuff

Thanks for you help. From the wizard, selected DVD, NTSC, on 3/5 screen
select Other Settings, Advanced, set Video Arrange Method to Center (custom)
and set size to actual size of video (ie 320X240) and it did exactly what I
wanted.

"erratic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:yyM%b.15409$(E-Mail Removed)-ops.be...
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 18:56:44 GMT, "Stuff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Tried that in TMPGEnc Plus to create the mpg, but when actually burned

the
> >DVD with TMPGEnc Author, it stretched it to 720X480.

> I haven't used TMPGEnc DVD Author, but AFAIK it doesn't re-encode the
> video, and stretching it would make re-encoding necessary. So if the
> video is not re-encoded, it's not stretched or changed in any way.

Anonymous Joe

IDK if you've played it back yet or not, doing that is probably not what you
wanted to do.

When you playback 352x240 video with a aspect ratio of 4:3 set in it, since
the actual aspect is 22:15 (its wider than 4:3), what it does is
horizontally compresses it to a 4:3 aspect, which is obtained at 320x240.

So, really, what you've done is taken 320x240 video letterboxed it to
352x240 then compressed it to 320x240, which would be a video playback space
of 290.

Basically, now you're video is 290x240 during playback, which is 1.2:1
roughly. It should appear that people are strangely skinny and tall, yet
not too much, but noticeably so.

BTW, I don't know what the bitrate TMPGEnc sets the bitrate to, but the
combined audio & video bitrates cannot exceed 1.98MBps for MPEG-1 video on
DVD. The audio bitrate to be used is the stream with the highest bitrate.
That is to say, you can have seven 192kbps AC3 tracks to go with the video,
and one 224kbps MPEG-2 track, which would be in DVD spec (8 audio tracks,
AC3/MP2). But, your video has to be 1750kbps, so that when they are
combined you are at or under 1.98Mbps (this is actually 1980kbps, not
2028kbps). If it weren't for the MP2 track, you could have 1785kbps. Not
too much of a difference, but enough to cause skips during playback on
atleast some players.

You can use CBR or VBR. It only makes sense to use VBR if you plan on
having a bunch of content. I'm talking like 400+ minutes. Otherwise, use
CBR, and set it to the max you can and still remain in DVD spec.

newsaN%b.6311$(E-Mail Removed) .com...