Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Letterbox vs. full screen?

Letterbox vs. full screen?

Philip Marlow

I have a movie on DVD that is in letterbox format. I can copy without any
problem. Is there a way to convert that in full screen format?
Thanks.

Pug Fugley

"Philip Marlow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:b7N_b.4401$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I have a movie on DVD that is in letterbox format. I can copy without any
> problem. Is there a way to convert that in full screen format?
> Thanks.

Why yes. Which reminds me..I have a brand new Ferarri...is there any way to
make it handle like a '74 Pinto??

Richard C.

"Philip Marlow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:b7N_b.4401$(E-Mail Removed).. .
: I have a movie on DVD that is in letterbox format. I can copy without
any
: problem. Is there a way to convert that in full screen format?
: Thanks.
:
===========
Sure..........trim about 3/4" off of the original DVD before copying.

Grand Inquisitor

Pug Fugley wrote:
> "Philip Marlow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:b7N_b.4401$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>
>>I have a movie on DVD that is in letterbox format. I can copy without any
>>problem. Is there a way to convert that in full screen format?
>>Thanks.

> Why yes. Which reminds me..I have a brand new Ferarri...is there any way to
> make it handle like a '74 Pinto??

LOL, classic.

and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor

Grand Inquisitor

Philip Marlow wrote:

> I have a movie on DVD that is in letterbox format. I can copy without any
> problem. Is there a way to convert that in full screen format?
> Thanks.

Please go away and never come back.

and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor

Justin

Philip Marlow wrote on [Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:56:09 -0500]:
> I have a movie on DVD that is in letterbox format. I can copy without any
> problem. Is there a way to convert that in full screen format?
> Thanks.

w00t!

Combining two hated things into one post!

Pirate fullscreen moron

Aaron J. Bossig

"Philip Marlow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:b7N_b.4401$ee3.284803
@news20.bellglobal.com:

> I have a movie on DVD that is in letterbox format. I can copy without any
> problem. Is there a way to convert that in full screen format?
> Thanks.

Many DVDs are available in fullscreen, but there is no way to convert a
widescreen-only movie to fullscreen. Some players offer a zoom, and some
PC programs do as well. This is a rather crude method, but then, genuine
fullscreen transfers aren't much better.

You may want to read here for a better understanding of
widescreen DVDs:

http:/www.widescreen.org

--

Aaron J. Bossig

http://www.GodsLabRat.com
http://www.Daily-Reviews.com

DarkMatter

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 22:11:40 GMT, Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> Gave
us:

>Philip Marlow wrote on [Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:56:09 -0500]:
>> I have a movie on DVD that is in letterbox format. I can copy without any
>> problem. Is there a way to convert that in full screen format?
>> Thanks.
>>

>w00t!
>
>Combining two hated things into one post!
>
>Pirate fullscreen moron

It has to be a test troll, doesn't it?

Bur

"Philip Marlow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<b7N_b.4401$(E-Mail Removed)> ...
> I have a movie on DVD that is in letterbox format. I can copy without any
> problem. Is there a way to convert that in full screen format?
> Thanks.

Not really. The letterbox format could theoretically be zoomed (in
software?) but tou will have lost detail. It's important to note the
type of DVD before purchasing it. A 'full-screen' DVD will fill the
screen and, if the original movie was widescreen, the movie will be
panned from side to side to ensure all relevant picture data is always
in the screen. So a simple zoom might also leave you looking at a
picture with relevant information chopped off one side or the other.
Some movies are available only in widescreen which leaves you with the
option of putting up with ugly black bars or just skipping the movie.
I generally rent widescreen only releases and buy only fullscreen for
my permanent collection.

Richard C.

"Bur" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...

: I generally rent widescreen only releases and buy only fullscreen for
: my permanent collection.

sounds kind of foolish to me.......................