Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Re: Anybody else think DVD's are still Over Priced?

Re: Anybody else think DVD's are still Over Priced?

Goro

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (LASERandDVDfan) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> >You'd think
> >that with the higher admission, the snacks and drinks would come down in
> >price. Instead they've gone up.

> Well, of course.
>
> For movie theatres, the big profit does not come from ticket sales but from
> concessions.
>
> The movie theatre is really nothing more than a snack bar with a dining area
> that also has a projector and a screen.
>
> >With DVD (and I guess getting older), I find the whole movie-going
> >experience unpleasant.

> I'm 22, and I find the whole experience of going to a movie theatre
> increasingly annoying mainly because of the fellow patron's inability to shut
> up during the movie!

a HUGE annoyance for me is when people decide to make watching a
movie, a dining experience! i was at TOUCHING THE VOID and this
couple sat down in front of me. They had popcorn and cokes (no big
deal), two hot dogs, and a small pizza! Now it wouldn't bother me,
except (a) it smelled and (b) *Chomp* *Chomp* *SMack* *smack*
*crinkle*

add to that, the theatre didn't have stadium seating and so the guy's
head kept blocking out part of the screen for me...

> Plus, your additional points here:
>
> >The theaters are a quarter of the size they used to
> >be, way too expensive, and not worth going when you have stupid kids playing
> >with laser-pointers and cell phones ringing during the film.

> ... are also totally true.

and it seems that the movies that *I* want to see always get stuck in
the converted broom-closet. i was so psyched to see that TRIPLETS OF
BELLEVILLE was showing ehre in scottsdale, then i entered the theatre
and it was like walking into someone's basement... only smaller!

> >So to get back to the original topic, no I don't think most DVD's are
> >over-priced. They're cheaper than admission for two (no refreshments), and
> >you get the extras.

> Plus, particularly if you have a great setup that's rigged properly, you will
> be able to see the movie in a manner that your system is capable of.

it's also fun to invest in nice equipment and then use it to its
fullest. my modest set up sounds far better than a great majority of
theaters to which i've been.

> Compare this to going to a movie theatre, where the presentation quality may
> not be guaranteed. The projector might be out of focus and they may only play
> the Westrex track in mono fashion. This has happened to me before when I've
> went to theatres.

agh! when i went to BIG FISH, the audio took a dump and went from
DD5.1 to stereo in the middle. i missed a few minutes to go tell
someone and then waited another 20min for them to fix it. ugh, stereo
in a living room is alright, stereo in a movie theater sounds just
horrid.

> I went to see a movie once a couple of years ago and the sound was Westrex
> mono, the damn EXIT light kept glaring the screen, and the blasted projector
> light had this annoying flicker that would happen every few times. As for the
> audience, there was the ocassional chatter but, suprisingly enough, most kept
> their mouths shut, their phones off, and their laser pointers holstered.
>
> Needless to say, I never went back to that theatre again. As a matter of fact,
> I've never watched a flick in a theatre for about two years now as I've been so
> utterly disgusted by the whole experience as it is today, not to mention the
> non-stop flow of idiot films ("You Got Served," anyone?) that makes the whole
> experience even more of a hassle!

i still like to go see movies at the theater. a nice theater. Here
in Scottsdale, there is the Cine-Capri, which has 2 70' screens. I
saw PIRATES there adn it was glorious. the sound was marvelous and
the video presentation was first rate. the best part? NO ADS BEFORE
THE FEATURE! They did do one of those ad-slide presentation deals
while th elights were up, but when the lights went down, the trailers
played.

i do think that a great movie-theater experience is still far bette
than a home theater one, though. unforteunately, a bad movie-theater
expereience is just absolutely terrible.

> All I have to say is "THANK GOD FOR VIDEO!"
>
> As for the schmucks who think that DVD prices are too high, you obviously have
> never seen the pricing of a VHS movie when they were out in the early 1980s.

which is why many of us bought Laserdiscs...

> Of course, I was too young to remember that time, but I've got a collection of
> movies on VHS and Beta from that era with their price tags of $39, $49, and
> even $75 still intact and stuck on their packaging. - Reinhart

.... but they were $39/movie or so, $100+ for the Criterions. not as
bad as vhs, but still...

-goro-

LASERandDVDfan

>a HUGE annoyance for me is when people decide to make watching a
>movie, a dining experience! i was at TOUCHING THE VOID and this
>couple sat down in front of me. They had popcorn and cokes (no big
>deal), two hot dogs, and a small pizza! Now it wouldn't bother me,
>except (a) it smelled and (b) *Chomp* *Chomp* *SMack* *smack*
>*crinkle*
>
>add to that, the theatre didn't have stadium seating and so the guy's
>head kept blocking out part of the screen for me...

Never had that happen to me, fortunately.

>It seems that the movies that *I* want to see always get stuck in
>the converted broom-closet. i was so psyched to see that TRIPLETS OF
>BELLEVILLE was showing ehre in scottsdale, then i entered the theatre
>and it was like walking into someone's basement... only smaller!

Doctor's orders for claustrophobia: avoid tight surroundings like broom
closets, pantries, and cineplexes.

>it's also fun to invest in nice equipment and then use it to its
>fullest. my modest set up sounds far better than a great majority of
>theaters to which i've been.

Yep!

>agh! when i went to BIG FISH, the audio took a dump and went from
>DD5.1 to stereo in the middle. i missed a few minutes to go tell
>someone and then waited another 20min for them to fix it. ugh, stereo
>in a living room is alright, stereo in a movie theater sounds just
>horrid.

When I went to see "The Mummy," the SDDS track kept cutting in and out. The
print was obviously used up. When I went to the manager to see if they could
fix the problem, all they did was cut off the SDDS and went to Dolby Stereo.
The only digital surround equipment they had was for SDDS, so no turning to
Dolby Digital and, of course, DTS.

At least the staff did have a reasonable explanation why they didn't go with an
alternate digital system.

And, I do agree that watching a movie at a nice big screen theatre that is
properly set up with a truly respectful audience is something to behold.
Unfortunately, such experiences are very difficult to find these days.

>I still like to go see movies at the theater. a nice theater. Here
>in Scottsdale, there is the Cine-Capri, which has 2 70' screens. I
>saw PIRATES there adn it was glorious. the sound was marvelous and
>the video presentation was first rate. the best part? NO ADS BEFORE
>THE FEATURE! They did do one of those ad-slide presentation deals
>while th elights were up, but when the lights went down, the trailers
>played.

Lucky you to have such a nice theatre nearby. Unfortunately, I have to drive a
distance to get to a decent theatre, and it may still be attended by rude and
stupid idiots.

>i do think that a great movie-theater experience is still far bette
>than a home theater one, though. unforteunately, a bad movie-theater
>expereience is just absolutely terrible.

Agreed.

BTW, I think you need to check the settings of your usenet reader. It posted
your message three times. - Reinhart

Black Locust

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) (LASERandDVDfan) wrote:

> Plus, there's still M*A*S*H, The Simpsons, and Star Trek being aired in
> syndication. There are other shows I enjoy that are also broadcast in
> syndication.

Who needs syndication when you can buy these shows on DVD?
--
BL

LASERandDVDfan

>Who needs syndication when you can buy these shows on DVD?

True, too. Although for MASH and Simpsons, not all the seasons are on DVD yet.

As for prices, I cann't afford some of the sets, but I still feel that the
prices that the studios are asking is reasonable, considering that you'd be
getting hours of entertainment from episodes that are uncut and shown in their
entirety plus all sorts of extras and all in a virtually indestructable format.
- Reinhart

LASERandDVDfan

>The movie "The Old, Classic Film"
>made 50 years ago isn't generating much, if any profit due to it's age,
>death of VHS, being shown on TV.

A film can still make a good amount of money being aired on television.

>I'd also like to know what studios lose on older DVD's. For example they
>release a bare-bones version of a movie, then a year later the Special
>Edition comes out (sometimes at the same or an even cheaper price). What
>does a studio lose on the bare-bones version if most stores carry--SNIP

All I would have to say is that the older films have already made the studios
their money back and then some. They may lose money, but not so much that the
loss would be catastrophic. The manufacturing for completely packaged DVDs are
very cheap. The wholesale price is about half what it would cost in retail,
for one.

Plus, with DVDs, because of how cheap and fast you can make discs, you don't
have to make a whole stockpile. You just merely make the amount of discs you
need according to demand for that title at any point and then replicate more
copies later when there is still demand but too low supply to meet it. -
Reinhart

RW Pearson

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 03:44:54 +0000, Thomas Bell wrote:

> Just throwing my two cents in here, I don't think dvd movies are
> overpriced at all.

I agree that DVD *** Movies *** are not overpriced. I am an old laserdisc
collector and DVDs are lower priced. What ** IS ** overpriced are some of
the BOX Sets like "The Sopranos" and "Star Trek DS9".

I like about ten episodes of DS9 enough to buy them but I'll be Damned if
I am going to pay $110 a season for seven seasons of it when I don't care
about 90% of the episodes.

There needs to be away to get only the episodes of a tv series you want,
IMO. Maybe it is a pay per view service but the current system breaks down
over prized TV episodes. Maybe I just need a good DVD recorder.

There isn't a single series for which I want every episode.

Just my $0.02.

jayembee

John Beaderstadt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Thomas Bell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I remember movies on laserdisc used to cost anywhere from
>> 25 to 45 bucks and nice box sets would run around 100 dollars.

> I remember paying that amount for a box of eight *blank*
> Beta video tapes.

Yup. Back in 1978, the going price would be $18.00 for one
blank Beta tape. For a *one-hour* blank -- at a time when
Betamaxes had only one speed.

(Anyone else remember the good old days before the L-500, etc.
nomeclature, when the 1-hour Sony blanks were designated K-60s?)

-- jayembee

jayembee

"Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> When I said a movie over five years old shouldn't be more
> than $10, in my opinion, someone argued that we wouldn't
> see a lot of older movies released on DVD. I don't 100%
> buy that argument. The movie "The Old, Classic Film" made
> 50 years ago isn't generating much, if any profit due to
> it's age, death of VHS, being shown on TV. So if they
> remaster it and add some extras, it'll revive interests
> and make the studio more money (more than $0). I think the
> studio would still come out ahead financially even after
> investing loads of money in a new transfer, DVD authoring
> and production, etc.

In a lot of cases, a substantial amount of money is being
spent on film restoration.

-- jayembee

Justin

jayembee wrote on [25 Feb 2004 10:15:36 -0800]:
> John Beaderstadt <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Thomas Bell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I remember movies on laserdisc used to cost anywhere from
>>> 25 to 45 bucks and nice box sets would run around 100 dollars.

>> I remember paying that amount for a box of eight *blank*
>> Beta video tapes.

> Yup. Back in 1978, the going price would be $18.00 for one
> blank Beta tape. For a *one-hour* blank -- at a time when
> Betamaxes had only one speed.
>
> (Anyone else remember the good old days before the L-500, etc.
> nomeclature, when the 1-hour Sony blanks were designated K-60s?)

Nope. But I do remember E-180 and E120 VHS

Bill

> Yup. Back in 1978, the going price would be $18.00 for one
> blank Beta tape. For a *one-hour* blank -- at a time when
> Betamaxes had only one speed.
>
> (Anyone else remember the good old days before the L-500, etc.
> nomeclature, when the 1-hour Sony blanks were designated K-60s?)
>
> -- jayembee

I believe I actually saw those Beta blanks going for around $24.00 each in a
store at the time. Expensive, but a huge improvement over Sony's initial
home video recorder in the mid 60s. A reel-to-reel b/w deck, with reels of
blank tape (30 minutes recording time, I think) selling for around $50.00 at
a local store.

I'm still amazed at $60.00 Hi-Fi VCRs and $1.49 blank cassettes...not to
mention $40.00 DVD players these days!