Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > "History of Cinema" 12 DVDs for 5.99!

"History of Cinema" 12 DVDs for 5.99!

JONA99

The number one DVD at Amazon.com right now is this 12 DVD set, which they're
selling for 5.99 -- a 93 percent discount. I'm assuming this is a mistake on
Amazon's part. Get it quickly.

Jay Stewart

"JONA99" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The number one DVD at Amazon.com right now is this 12 DVD set, which

they're
> selling for 5.99 -- a 93 percent discount. I'm assuming this is a mistake

on
> Amazon's part. Get it quickly.

I just ordered it - we'll see if it ever comes. Thanks for the heads up!

Haans

"Jay Stewart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "JONA99" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > The number one DVD at Amazon.com right now is this 12 DVD set, which

> they're
> > selling for 5.99 -- a 93 percent discount. I'm assuming this is a

mistake
> on
> > Amazon's part. Get it quickly.

> I just ordered it - we'll see if it ever comes. Thanks for the heads up!

Same here. Wowza! Pretty sure they won't honor the order though....

Rich Clark

"Haans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4039324a$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jay Stewart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >
> > "JONA99" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > The number one DVD at Amazon.com right now is this 12 DVD set, which

> > they're
> > > selling for 5.99 -- a 93 percent discount. I'm assuming this is a

> mistake
> > on
> > > Amazon's part. Get it quickly.

> > I just ordered it - we'll see if it ever comes. Thanks for the heads up!
> >

> Same here. Wowza! Pretty sure they won't honor the order though....

Come on, now, how sure are we that this is even worth $5.99? Consider the
source (the company that owns Laserlight). This is probably a lot of the
same stuff that was in the infamous "Total Movie" box. Horrible, incomplete
transfers of VHS copies of public domain movies.

I'm not claiming I know anything one way or another. Just that even if the
orders go through you may end up with something not worth watching. Not that
you're risking much to find out...

RichC

Jay Stewart

"Rich Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Haans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4039324a$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Jay Stewart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > >
> > > "JONA99" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > they're

> > mistake
> > > on
> > >
> > > I just ordered it - we'll see if it ever comes. Thanks for the heads

up!

> > Same here. Wowza! Pretty sure they won't honor the order though....
> >

> Come on, now, how sure are we that this is even worth $5.99? Consider the
> source (the company that owns Laserlight). This is probably a lot of the
> same stuff that was in the infamous "Total Movie" box. Horrible,

incomplete
> transfers of VHS copies of public domain movies.
>
> I'm not claiming I know anything one way or another. Just that even if the
> orders go through you may end up with something not worth watching. Not

that
> you're risking much to find out...
>
> RichC

Maybe it is twelve discs of massive sucking - you have certainly lowered my
expectations. But it's worth risking $6.00 (plus shipping) on even if there
are only a few good moments. Besides, I'm sure it will be worth at least
that price on a re-sale.

JONA99

Yeah, these will probably suck. But I just got my order confirmation from
Amazon, and for a grand total of 8.92, it's worth a gamble. (Hell, I'd pay 9
bucks for 12 empty keepcases!)

Rich Clark

"JONA99" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yeah, these will probably suck. But I just got my order confirmation from
> Amazon, and for a grand total of 8.92, it's worth a gamble. (Hell, I'd

pay 9
> bucks for 12 empty keepcases!)

I'd be willing to bet it'll be all cardboard and paper packaging.

RichC

Haans

"JONA99" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yeah, these will probably suck. But I just got my order confirmation from
> Amazon, and for a grand total of 8.92, it's worth a gamble. (Hell, I'd

pay 9
> bucks for 12 empty keepcases!)

Well, DVDPacific also has this up for preorder. Only they charge $52.01...
have a feeling Amazon should be charging $59.40 for it, but as long as
they're not...

So, anyone know if they are entitled to refuse fulfillment?

Shipping to Norway is actually $6.98, so slightly more expensive than the
box itself muhahahaha

Jay Stewart

"Haans" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "JONA99" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Yeah, these will probably suck. But I just got my order confirmation

from
> > Amazon, and for a grand total of 8.92, it's worth a gamble. (Hell, I'd

> pay 9
> > bucks for 12 empty keepcases!)

> Well, DVDPacific also has this up for preorder. Only they charge $52.01...
> have a feeling Amazon should be charging $59.40 for it, but as long as
> they're not...
>
> So, anyone know if they are entitled to refuse fulfillment?
>
> Shipping to Norway is actually $6.98, so slightly more expensive than the
> box itself muhahahaha

.....that's the same as shipping to Canada!

Rich Clark

> > So, anyone know if they are entitled to refuse fulfillment?

Yes, and it wouldn't be the first time. Since they don't charge you until
the item ships, there's no transaction until that happens. Here's a quote
from their written policy, which covers mis-priced items:

<<With respect to items sold by Amazon.com, we cannot confirm the price of
an item until you order; however, we do NOT charge your credit card until
after your order has entered the shipping process. Despite our best efforts,
a small number of the items in our catalog may be mispriced. If we discover
a mispricing, we will do one of the following:

a.. If an item's correct price is lower than our stated price, we will
charge the lower amount and ship you the item.
b.. If an item's correct price is higher than our stated price, we will,
at our discretion, either contact you for instructions before shipping or
cancel your order and notify you of such cancellation. >>
RichC