Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Anyone interested in Disneys The Song of the South

Anyone interested in Disneys The Song of the South

Glenn

I am not selling it, it is not available nor does it appear it will ever
be....

http://www.songofthesouth.net/faq/index.html#1

---

Richard C.

news:BK1_b.82165$(E-Mail Removed)...
:
: http://www.songofthesouth.net/faq/index.html#1
:
:
====================
Of COURSE people are interested in it.
If Disney released it as a special 2 disc set, in the tin box,
with lots of commentaries and interviews it would be their biggest selling movie
EVER!

They could get major "black" leaders to comment on it, from Bill Cosby to Spike Lee.

I think they would astound themselves with the sales!
======================

Morgan

Song of the South is one of my favorite Disney films. And after watching it
a few months ago (I downloaded it) I have to say I found nothing offensive
about it. I can see some people may take offense by some aspects of it.
But damn, it's 2004--I can't believe society is so sensitive! Not just this
movie, but everything else has such extreme issues. If parents don't want
their children to watch something, make sure your children don't watch it.
If your child doesn't understand something, tell them your understanding of
it. And frankly, I think if this move were released right now, only adults
would buy it and watch it. Except for the animated parts, I don't think
children would find it very interesting. And one last thing, what a f**king
slap in the face to African-Americans. James Baskett was not only the first
actor hired for a live-action character by Disney, but he was the first
black actor to receive and Academy Award (honorary). And evidently, he had
an amazing talent for vocal mimicry, as well as his original voices for Song
of the South. He was only in a few B-movies, as I understand, and died a
year or two after Song of the South. But we'll never see his work, because
none of it is available on VHS or DVD. What a shame!

This is part of the reason I don't buy anything Disney. Another reason is
because it seems like all their DVD's and videos are only available for a
limited time and then are taken off the shelf after a few months. Then when
an anniversary comes up, they do a re-release. (I realized they aren't the
only ones who do this, but they seem to do it a lot.) Also, they censor
their own material to fit with society's sensitivities, instead of growing a
backbone, taking a stand, and saying 'this is how it used to be, if you
don't like it, don't buy it'. I'm also really surprised Disney hasn't
re-edited the film with all the live-action taken out and a new vocal track
recorded for the animated sequences with a little less 'color' to it.

My rant is through.

Morgan

EvilN8

Disney keeping this movie off the shelves is keeping Pirates in Business. I
picked up a copy on DVD-R for $30 off of ebay for a relative that watched
this movie as a child and has always wanted it since. That could have went
into Disney's pocket.

"Morgan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Song of the South is one of my favorite Disney films. And after watching

it
> a few months ago (I downloaded it) I have to say I found nothing offensive
> about it. I can see some people may take offense by some aspects of it.
> But damn, it's 2004--I can't believe society is so sensitive! Not just

this
> movie, but everything else has such extreme issues. If parents don't want
> their children to watch something, make sure your children don't watch it.
> If your child doesn't understand something, tell them your understanding

of
> it. And frankly, I think if this move were released right now, only

adults
> would buy it and watch it. Except for the animated parts, I don't think
> children would find it very interesting. And one last thing, what a

f**king
> slap in the face to African-Americans. James Baskett was not only the

first
> actor hired for a live-action character by Disney, but he was the first
> black actor to receive and Academy Award (honorary). And evidently, he

had
> an amazing talent for vocal mimicry, as well as his original voices for

Song
> of the South. He was only in a few B-movies, as I understand, and died a
> year or two after Song of the South. But we'll never see his work,

because
> none of it is available on VHS or DVD. What a shame!
>
> This is part of the reason I don't buy anything Disney. Another reason is
> because it seems like all their DVD's and videos are only available for a
> limited time and then are taken off the shelf after a few months. Then

when
> an anniversary comes up, they do a re-release. (I realized they aren't

the
> only ones who do this, but they seem to do it a lot.) Also, they censor
> their own material to fit with society's sensitivities, instead of growing

> backbone, taking a stand, and saying 'this is how it used to be, if you
> don't like it, don't buy it'. I'm also really surprised Disney hasn't
> re-edited the film with all the live-action taken out and a new vocal

track
> recorded for the animated sequences with a little less 'color' to it.
>
> My rant is through.
>
> Morgan

Mike Kohary

"Richard C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4038e253$0$226$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> ====================
> Of COURSE people are interested in it.
> If Disney released it as a special 2 disc set, in the tin box,
> with lots of commentaries and interviews it would be their biggest selling

movie
> EVER!
>
> They could get major "black" leaders to comment on it, from Bill Cosby to

Spike Lee.

I've been advocating that for years. Yes, the movie is racially insensitive
by today's standards. So, instead of burying it and pretending it doesn't
exist (because, in fact, it does - maybe Eisner and Lucas should get
together and go to group therapy on this or something), they should release
it in such a way that addresses its historical context and significance,
from the time it was made until now. It would make for a fascinating
case-study on the subject.

Mike

Scot Gardner

"Glenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:BK1_b.82165$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am not selling it, it is not available nor does it appear it will
> ever be....
>
> http://www.songofthesouth.net/faq/index.html#1

While Disney is busy rewriting history by pretending that it never made
the completely harmless _Song of the South_ (1946), Universal/Paramount
has no problem releasing _Holiday Inn_(1942) on DVD.

_Holiday Inn_ has Bing Crosby appearing in one of the most embarrassing
blackface sketches ever put on film. Crosby has turned his Connecticut
ranch house into an inn which is open only on holidays. His housekeeper,
Mammy, (played by Louise Beavers) knows her place -- which is in the
kitchen -- and she is a credit to her race. You can be sure that she had
no problem with buying a first class ticket and then taking a seat in
the back of the bus. Her two little children are cute as can be, but
where is her husband? Nobody seems to know. Maybe he's off serving in
one of the segregated branches of the military.

In the "Abraham" musical number, the entire band and cast appears in
insulting slave-like costumes and one of the women singers has an
exaggerated pickaninny hairdo. Bing Crosby is dressed in an Uncle Tom
suit as he sings tribute to Abraham Lincoln for freeing the slaves.

As the song progresses, Mammy is in the kitchen, where she gets to sing
the following lyrics to her children:

When black folks lived in slavery,
Who was it set the darky free?
Abraham!
That's right, child.
Abraham!

I don't see how there could be anything this offensive contained in
_Song of the South_. So how is it that Universal has no problem
releasing _Holiday Inn_, in all of its racist glory, while Disney fears
a backlash from releasing its inoffensive _Song of the South_?

HiTechMan

Scot Gardner wrote:

> "Glenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:BK1_b.82165$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>I am not selling it, it is not available nor does it appear it will
>>ever be....
>>
>>http://www.songofthesouth.net/faq/index.html#1

> While Disney is busy rewriting history by pretending that it never made
> the completely harmless _Song of the South_ (1946), Universal/Paramount
> has no problem releasing _Holiday Inn_(1942) on DVD.
>
> _Holiday Inn_ has Bing Crosby appearing in one of the most embarrassing
> blackface sketches ever put on film. Crosby has turned his Connecticut
> ranch house into an inn which is open only on holidays. His housekeeper,
> Mammy, (played by Louise Beavers) knows her place -- which is in the
> kitchen -- and she is a credit to her race. You can be sure that she had
> no problem with buying a first class ticket and then taking a seat in
> the back of the bus. Her two little children are cute as can be, but
> where is her husband? Nobody seems to know. Maybe he's off serving in
> one of the segregated branches of the military.
>
> In the "Abraham" musical number, the entire band and cast appears in
> insulting slave-like costumes and one of the women singers has an
> exaggerated pickaninny hairdo. Bing Crosby is dressed in an Uncle Tom
> suit as he sings tribute to Abraham Lincoln for freeing the slaves.
>
> As the song progresses, Mammy is in the kitchen, where she gets to sing
> the following lyrics to her children:
>
> When black folks lived in slavery,
> Who was it set the darky free?
> Abraham!
> That's right, child.
> Abraham!
>
> I don't see how there could be anything this offensive contained in
> _Song of the South_. So how is it that Universal has no problem
> releasing _Holiday Inn_, in all of its racist glory, while Disney fears
> a backlash from releasing its inoffensive _Song of the South_?
>
> http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...942162-8518435

Disney has no cajones

Derek Janssen

Mike Kohary wrote:

>>They could get major "black" leaders to comment on it, from Bill Cosby to

> Spike Lee.
>
> I've been advocating that for years. Yes, the movie is racially insensitive
> by today's standards. So, instead of burying it and pretending it doesn't
> exist (because, in fact, it does - maybe Eisner and Lucas should get
> together and go to group therapy on this or something), they should release
> it in such a way that addresses its historical context and significance,
> from the time it was made until now. It would make for a fascinating
> case-study on the subject.

You mean, like, animate a John Henry short to go with the restoration,
then have James Earl Jones do some History-Channel intro spin on the
story?--
BTDT. Back in '96.

As far as the other stuff, about Sidney Poitier having finally retired
from Disney's executive board, see previous threads.
They spring up like topsy every three months by the clock.

Derek Janssen

luminos

"HiTechMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:H%e_b.36306$(E-Mail Removed). com...

> Scot Gardner wrote:
>
> > "Glenn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:BK1_b.82165$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> >>I am not selling it, it is not available nor does it appear it will
> >>ever be....
> >>
> >>http://www.songofthesouth.net/faq/index.html#1

> > While Disney is busy rewriting history by pretending that it never made
> > the completely harmless _Song of the South_ (1946), Universal/Paramount
> > has no problem releasing _Holiday Inn_(1942) on DVD.
> >
> > _Holiday Inn_ has Bing Crosby appearing in one of the most embarrassing
> > blackface sketches ever put on film. Crosby has turned his Connecticut
> > ranch house into an inn which is open only on holidays. His housekeeper,
> > Mammy, (played by Louise Beavers) knows her place -- which is in the
> > kitchen -- and she is a credit to her race. You can be sure that she had
> > no problem with buying a first class ticket and then taking a seat in
> > the back of the bus. Her two little children are cute as can be, but
> > where is her husband? Nobody seems to know. Maybe he's off serving in
> > one of the segregated branches of the military.
> >
> > In the "Abraham" musical number, the entire band and cast appears in
> > insulting slave-like costumes and one of the women singers has an
> > exaggerated pickaninny hairdo. Bing Crosby is dressed in an Uncle Tom
> > suit as he sings tribute to Abraham Lincoln for freeing the slaves.
> >
> > As the song progresses, Mammy is in the kitchen, where she gets to sing
> > the following lyrics to her children:
> >
> > When black folks lived in slavery,
> > Who was it set the darky free?
> > Abraham!
> > That's right, child.
> > Abraham!
> >
> > I don't see how there could be anything this offensive contained in
> > _Song of the South_. So how is it that Universal has no problem
> > releasing _Holiday Inn_, in all of its racist glory, while Disney fears
> > a backlash from releasing its inoffensive _Song of the South_?

Thank you for reminding me of sections that I found very unsettling while
watching this film. I suppose it is the utter glory of White Christmas and
Easter Parade that makes you forget of this vile and banal number in the
middle of the film.

RE: Some family photos if anyone is interested - South africa Bernard Rother Digital Photography 5 08-25-2005 11:06 AM
SONG OF THE SOUTH: Asinine Disney Censorship! One-Shot Scot DVD Video 25 12-10-2004 03:21 AM
Song Of The South Hillen120 DVD Video 6 05-31-2004 03:15 AM
Song of the South: Film clips on Alice in Wonderland. Scot Gardner DVD Video 4 01-19-2004 01:54 PM
REQ Song of the South Stuff DVD Video 12 09-30-2003 08:38 PM

Advertisments