Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Which DVD player?

Which DVD player?

codeblue

Im looking to spend upto 100 quid on a new DVD player, but which one.
Need it to play vcd, svcd, dvd-r, dvd+r, cdr, and if possible mpeg,
divx svcd, avi and 12" vinal (sorry last one a joke).

I heard the one selling in Asda Pacific 1002w is good?

Any feedback will be appreciated

DVDfanatico

Why would you want a player that plays divx? I don't think any can since it
went bankrupt. Try searching EBay or the web for a player that is region free
because they're the best.
(You can play DVD's from the US and elswhere).

-DVDfanatico

>Subject: Which DVD player?
>From: codeblue http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
>Date: 2/19/04 11:57 PM Pacific Standard Time
>
>Im looking to spend upto 100 quid on a new DVD player, but which one.
>Need it to play vcd, svcd, dvd-r, dvd+r, cdr, and if possible mpeg,
>divx svcd, avi and 12" vinal (sorry last one a joke).
>
>I heard the one selling in Asda Pacific 1002w is good?
>
>Any feedback will be appreciated

Paul Lefebvre

always check out epinions.com before you buy.

codeblue <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Im looking to spend upto 100 quid on a new DVD player, but which one.
>Need it to play vcd, svcd, dvd-r, dvd+r, cdr, and if possible mpeg,
>divx svcd, avi and 12" vinal (sorry last one a joke).
>
>I heard the one selling in Asda Pacific 1002w is good?
>
>Any feedback will be appreciated

PL

Paul Lefebvre
plefebvre@*removethis*wwdc.com
Visit my website!
http://www.geocities.com/joeyp99

Binkley

DVDfanatico <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Why would you want a player that plays divx? I don't think any can since it
: went bankrupt.

Well, there's divx, and then there's DivX! (Don't worry, the reviewer in
"Home Theater" magazine made the same mistake concerning the Linn Unidisk
unit in their current issue....)

Jay Stewart

"Binkley" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c15kkk$c3k$(E-Mail Removed)...
> DVDfanatico <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : Why would you want a player that plays divx? I don't think any can

since it
> : went bankrupt.
>
> Well, there's divx, and then there's DivX! (Don't worry, the reviewer in
> "Home Theater" magazine made the same mistake concerning the Linn Unidisk
> unit in their current issue....)

I hear that's an excellent player...if you have $8,000.00 laying around!

McQualude

Binkley <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>: Why would you want a player that plays divx? I don't think any can
>: since it went bankrupt.
>
> Well, there's divx, and then there's DivX! (Don't worry, the
> reviewer in "Home Theater" magazine made the same mistake concerning
> the Linn Unidisk unit in their current issue....)

Since divx has essentially ceased to exist, it is pretty much a no
brainer.

--
McQualude

Jay Jay

says...
> Im looking to spend upto 100 quid on a new DVD player, but which one.
> Need it to play vcd, svcd, dvd-r, dvd+r, cdr, and if possible mpeg,
> divx svcd, avi and 12" vinal (sorry last one a joke).
>
> Any feedback will be appreciated

I have a kiss dp-450. It plays divx/xvid and I think it sells at around
160 euro:

http://www.kiss-technology.com/?p=dp450&v=users

PS: Please ignore idiot remarks about divx being dead

Binkley

McQualude <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Since divx has essentially ceased to exist, it is pretty much a no
: brainer.

DivX! is alive, well, and even has Microsoft worried. (Terrific
compression rate . . .)

McQualude

Jay Jay <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> PS: Please ignore idiot remarks about divx being dead

I said divx, not DivX; and no, your Kiss does not play divx, it plays
DivX.

--
McQualude

McQualude

Binkley <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

>> Well, there's divx, and then there's DivX!

> McQualude <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>: Since divx has essentially ceased to exist, it is pretty much a no
>: brainer.

> DivX! is alive, well, and even has Microsoft worried. (Terrific
> compression rate . . .)

I said divx, not DivX. My point being that it is logical to assume that
someone means DivX when they write divx, because divx doesn't exist
anymore.
--
McQualude