Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Help!! all dvd work except one

Help!! all dvd work except one

linux4me2u@yahoo.ca

Hi everyone

I posted under Q)Weird sound problem but only got one reply..
See that posting for details.

Basically, I am just got a dvd player ,... great!!
except that one of my dvd does not play sound on the movie part ..ie
play movie on the dvd disk, the rest of the disk has sound commentary,
intro to the movies, and other goodies that the sound is find and
good. The disk 2 of this dvd movies has all kinds of goodies no
problem with sound and picture.

I can play all of my other dvd disk no problem, just the disk one of
Casblanca "play movie" has no sound.

What I have is a RF modulator hooked up to my old tv, and the dvd
player. Do I have a "bad" DVD ?

I do not see S video any help with sound problem because that is video
and I already have that with the other video jack. I changed all the
sound settings on the DVD player but it does not "turn" the sound on
when playing the movie itself.

No I can get a new TV, or I would have done that already. An I have
considered feeding it into my old VCR but that seems to be backwards
way. Do I need to get a basic amphlifier ? I trying to save some money
becuause I spent it all on the dvd player and RF modulator.

thanks

J S

Rich Clark

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi everyone
>
> I posted under Q)Weird sound problem but only got one reply..
> See that posting for details.
>

> Basically, I am just got a dvd player ,... great!!
> except that one of my dvd does not play sound on the movie part ..ie
> play movie on the dvd disk, the rest of the disk has sound commentary,
> intro to the movies, and other goodies that the sound is find and
> good. The disk 2 of this dvd movies has all kinds of goodies no
> problem with sound and picture.
>
> I can play all of my other dvd disk no problem, just the disk one of
> Casblanca "play movie" has no sound.
>
> What I have is a RF modulator hooked up to my old tv, and the dvd
> player. Do I have a "bad" DVD ?
>
> I do not see S video any help with sound problem because that is video
> and I already have that with the other video jack. I changed all the
> sound settings on the DVD player but it does not "turn" the sound on
> when playing the movie itself.
>
> No I can get a new TV, or I would have done that already. An I have
> considered feeding it into my old VCR but that seems to be backwards
> way. Do I need to get a basic amphlifier ? I trying to save some money
> becuause I spent it all on the dvd player and RF modulator.

My recollection is that Casablanca is in Dolby Digital 1.0. If it is (and
I'm relying on memory so I could well be wrong) then it's possible to
connect a player in such a way that you'd hear no sound -- IF it's a player
that has its own Dolby Digital decoder.

Such players have 6 analog audio outputs (2 fronts, 2 surrounds, center,
sub). Sometimes the front l/r jacks do double duty as stereo l/r jacks when
the player is set up for 2-channel analog output. In such a situation, IF
the player was set up to output multichannel audio to its 6 analog outputs,
and IF you had a 1.0 movie, the sound would be sent only to the center
channel output, and you would get silence from the front l/r outputs.

A lot of "ifs." But i can't offhand think of another explanation that covers
the facts as you've presented them.

RichC

Anonymous Joe

"Rich Clark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dhuZb.6981$(E-Mail Removed)...

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi everyone
> >
> > I posted under Q)Weird sound problem but only got one reply..
> > See that posting for details.
> >

> > Basically, I am just got a dvd player ,... great!!
> > except that one of my dvd does not play sound on the movie part ..ie
> > play movie on the dvd disk, the rest of the disk has sound commentary,
> > intro to the movies, and other goodies that the sound is find and
> > good. The disk 2 of this dvd movies has all kinds of goodies no
> > problem with sound and picture.
> >
> > I can play all of my other dvd disk no problem, just the disk one of
> > Casblanca "play movie" has no sound.
> >
> > What I have is a RF modulator hooked up to my old tv, and the dvd
> > player. Do I have a "bad" DVD ?
> >
> > I do not see S video any help with sound problem because that is video
> > and I already have that with the other video jack. I changed all the
> > sound settings on the DVD player but it does not "turn" the sound on
> > when playing the movie itself.
> >
> > No I can get a new TV, or I would have done that already. An I have
> > considered feeding it into my old VCR but that seems to be backwards
> > way. Do I need to get a basic amphlifier ? I trying to save some money
> > becuause I spent it all on the dvd player and RF modulator.

> My recollection is that Casablanca is in Dolby Digital 1.0. If it is (and
> I'm relying on memory so I could well be wrong) then it's possible to
> connect a player in such a way that you'd hear no sound -- IF it's a

player
> that has its own Dolby Digital decoder.
>
> Such players have 6 analog audio outputs (2 fronts, 2 surrounds, center,
> sub). Sometimes the front l/r jacks do double duty as stereo l/r jacks

when
> the player is set up for 2-channel analog output. In such a situation, IF
> the player was set up to output multichannel audio to its 6 analog

outputs,
> and IF you had a 1.0 movie, the sound would be sent only to the center
> channel output, and you would get silence from the front l/r outputs.
>
> A lot of "ifs." But i can't offhand think of another explanation that

covers
> the facts as you've presented them.
>
> RichC

It would be a strange situation. Let's just assume (and I don't mean to
offend the original poster) that if you cannot get a newer TV, with inputs
(RF modulator = no inputs), then you didn't buy an expensive DVD player.

Now, since only expensive players have the 6 analog outputs, which is only
needed if you have a 5.1 receiver that for some reason (the very first ones,
really) didn't have a Dolby Digital decoder chip in it, or didn't have
digitial inputs, then you need that expensive player (or a new receiver).

That said, one option would be to get a 5.1 surround sound, that's a rather
large leap from my DVD won't play sound, but it should work, providing the
disc is normal to begin with.

The Dolby 1.0 theory would work, since it would be coming out of the center
channel, but again, the expensive player is probably not the one being used.

Moreover, I did a quick little research, and came back with this page:
http://imdb.com/title/tt0034583/dvd
Reading it, you quickly discover that *all* releases of Casalanca have been
in Dolby 2.0. That would be the L/R speakers, not the center, so that
theory is quickly dashed.

My only reccomendation would be to try it on a friend's player, or on a PC.
If it won't work on a friend's, then it is the disc, and you should be able
to get it replaced (either from the store or by the producer of the DVD).
If it does work, then it is something with your player. What it could be, I
don't really know, there's nothing really in there that would make it not
work just because of your lack of inputs.

Colon Terminus

"Anonymous Joe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> [...]

used.

> Moreover, I did a quick little research, and came back with this page:
> http://imdb.com/title/tt0034583/dvd
> Reading it, you quickly discover that *all* releases of Casalanca have

been
> in Dolby 2.0. That would be the L/R speakers, not the center, so that
> theory is quickly dashed.
>
> My only reccomendation would be to try it on a friend's player, or on a

PC.
> If it won't work on a friend's, then it is the disc, and you should be

able
> to get it replaced (either from the store or by the producer of the DVD).
> If it does work, then it is something with your player. What it could be,

> don't really know, there's nothing really in there that would make it not
> work just because of your lack of inputs.

BZZZzzzzt! Wrong!

I have Casablanca ... the Warner Bros. 2 disc special edition. The
soundtrack is Dolby Digital Mono. That's Dolby 1.0. The commentaries (?sp)
and ancillaries are in Dolby Stereo (Dolby 2.0).

The OP has a problem with his player or his hookup. He simply ain't playing
the mono soundtrack. He's got a problem with this and doesn't want to accept
that his player or hookup is wrong, but that is exactly where the problem
lies.

The disc is fine ... the OP has a problem.