Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wireless & blue tooth

wireless & blue tooth

David Ngo

I'm planning on getting a laptop with wireless & blue tooth
capabilities and had some security questions.

In windows xp can wireless/blue tooth be disabled?

When I'm surfing at a retail restaurant that has wireless capabilities
am I safe when surfing the web or can people get into my computer
through the wireless connection?

Does it matter if I use the home edition vs the pro edition of XP on my
laptop? from what I've read pro is typically needed to connect to
domains, encrypt files but didn't know if it helped more then home when
keeping intruders out from a wireless conection. I do plan on using
zonealarm for my firewall.

Thanks,
David

FG

As far as I know, free wireless connections are not
crypted. So anyone can connect to your computer,
but, who would ?

(E-Mail Removed). com...