Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > SONY DVP-NS930: 5.1 output

SONY DVP-NS930: 5.1 output

Kazamaza

The SONY DVP-NS930 has a built-in AC3 decoder and DTS decoder. It also
has a 6 analog channel outputs (5.1 output).

Does that mean that the AC3 and DTS get decoded in the player and
delivered through the 5.1 analog channel outputs? Or are these outputs
just only for the SACD?

Note: I don't care about the coaxial nor the optical outputs (I know
they can deliver digitally AC3 and DTS to any decoder). I am
interested to know whether the 6 channels analog outputs in the rear
of the player can deliver decoded AC3 and DTS (through 6 different
chanels: C, L, R, SURR-L, SURR-R and SubWoofer)

Please help,
F.

What The!

With an integrated 5.1 channel decoder it will output movies with AC3 and
DTS soundtracks (if selected & supported) though those analogue outputs.

"Kazamaza" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> The SONY DVP-NS930 has a built-in AC3 decoder and DTS decoder. It also
> has a 6 analog channel outputs (5.1 output).
>
> Does that mean that the AC3 and DTS get decoded in the player and
> delivered through the 5.1 analog channel outputs? Or are these outputs
> just only for the SACD?
>
> Note: I don't care about the coaxial nor the optical outputs (I know
> they can deliver digitally AC3 and DTS to any decoder). I am
> interested to know whether the 6 channels analog outputs in the rear
> of the player can deliver decoded AC3 and DTS (through 6 different
> chanels: C, L, R, SURR-L, SURR-R and SubWoofer)
>
> Please help,
> F.

Nic

> "Kazamaza" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > The SONY DVP-NS930 has a built-in AC3 decoder and DTS decoder. It also
> > has a 6 analog channel outputs (5.1 output).
> >
> > Does that mean that the AC3 and DTS get decoded in the player and
> > delivered through the 5.1 analog channel outputs? Or are these outputs
> > just only for the SACD?

Yes, and then they get amplified with an amp/receiver with 6 chanel input.
They are for SACD as well.

---

Scot Gardner

"Nic" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4030bd0e$0$7064$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Kazamaza" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > The SONY DVP-NS930 has a built-in AC3 decoder and DTS decoder. It
> > also has a 6 analog channel outputs (5.1 output).
> >
> > Does that mean that the AC3 and DTS get decoded in the player and
> > delivered through the 5.1 analog channel outputs? Or are these
> > outputs just only for the SACD?

<<Yes, and then they get amplified with an amp/receiver with 6 chanel
input. They are for SACD as well.>>

You can also tap into any of the 5.1 outputs for testing purposes.

These outputs can also be hooked up separately, for cheap thrills:

1. Hook up Front Left and Front Right to a stereo receiver or amplifier
or a 2 or 3-piece computer speaker system.

2. Hook up the Center channel to the TVs audio input.

3. Hook up the Surround L & R to a boom box or a 2 or 3-piece computer
speaker system.

4. A subwoofer can also be used with the player's LFE output.

This is the perfect, low-budget system. Unfortunately, volume must be
adjusted on 3 or 4 different components. Still, its better than no
surround at all.