Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > List of DVDs restored by Lowry Digital Images

Reply
Thread Tools

List of DVDs restored by Lowry Digital Images

 
 
Chuck Kahn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-15-2004
"We've done 60 films in the last three years," says John Lowry.

Searching the web, I've managed to identify DVD releases of 25 of
them. What else is there?

1. Brief Encounter - Criterion Collection
2. Casablanca (Two-Disc Special Edition)
3. Citizen Kane (Two-Disc Special Edition)
4. Doctor Zhivago (Two-Disc Special Edition)
5. Giant (Two-Disc Special Edition)
6. Little Women
7. Mary Poppins
8. Mildred Pierce
9. Moby Dick
10. North by Northwest
11. Now, Voyager
12. Once Upon a Time in the West
13. Peter Pan (Special Edition)
14. Pinocchio
15. Pocahontas (Disney)
16. Roman Holiday (Special Collector's Edition)
17. Singin' in the Rain (Two-Disc Special Edition)
18. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Disney Platinum Edition)
19. Sunset Boulevard (Special Collector's Edition)
20. The Adventures of Indiana Jones (Raiders of the Lost Ark/The
Temple of Doom/The Last Crusade) - Widescreen
21. The Ghoul
22. The Godfather DVD Collection
23. The Importance of Being Earnest - Criterion Collection
24. Them!
25. THX 1138 (Upcoming)

I've put these into an Amazon Listmania! list at:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../1X2DZ42QS8OVB
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
anon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2004
Lowry is also well underway in restoring the new SE of the Star Wars
Trilogy....

"Chuck Kahn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> "We've done 60 films in the last three years," says John Lowry.
>
> Searching the web, I've managed to identify DVD releases of 25 of
> them. What else is there?
>
> 1. Brief Encounter - Criterion Collection
> 2. Casablanca (Two-Disc Special Edition)
> 3. Citizen Kane (Two-Disc Special Edition)
> 4. Doctor Zhivago (Two-Disc Special Edition)
> 5. Giant (Two-Disc Special Edition)
> 6. Little Women
> 7. Mary Poppins
> 8. Mildred Pierce
> 9. Moby Dick
> 10. North by Northwest
> 11. Now, Voyager
> 12. Once Upon a Time in the West
> 13. Peter Pan (Special Edition)
> 14. Pinocchio
> 15. Pocahontas (Disney)
> 16. Roman Holiday (Special Collector's Edition)
> 17. Singin' in the Rain (Two-Disc Special Edition)
> 18. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (Disney Platinum Edition)
> 19. Sunset Boulevard (Special Collector's Edition)
> 20. The Adventures of Indiana Jones (Raiders of the Lost Ark/The
> Temple of Doom/The Last Crusade) - Widescreen
> 21. The Ghoul
> 22. The Godfather DVD Collection
> 23. The Importance of Being Earnest - Criterion Collection
> 24. Them!
> 25. THX 1138 (Upcoming)
>
> I've put these into an Amazon Listmania! list at:
>
>

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/re.../1X2DZ42QS8OVB


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Grand Inquisitor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2004
Chuck Kahn wrote:
> "We've done 60 films in the last three years," says John Lowry.
>
> Searching the web, I've managed to identify DVD releases of 25 of
> them. What else is there?
> 9. Moby Dick


The John Huston version? Gosh, you wouldn't know to look at it.

--
"Get rid of the Range Rover. You are not responsible for patrolling
Australia's Dingo Barrier Fence, nor do you work the Savannah, capturing
and tagging wildebeests."
--Michael J. Nelson

Grand Inquisitor
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=Oost

 
Reply With Quote
 
Chuck Kahn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-16-2004
Grand Inquisitor <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<biYXb.10581$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Chuck Kahn wrote:
> > "We've done 60 films in the last three years," says John Lowry.
> >
> > Searching the web, I've managed to identify DVD releases of 25 of
> > them. What else is there?
> > 9. Moby Dick

>
> The John Huston version? Gosh, you wouldn't know to look at it.


Patrick L. Almanza lists it on his resume at:

http://www.geocities.com/futekgods/h...CS_RESUME.html

5/02 - present Lowry Digital Images Burbank, CA
Special Restoration Expert
Digital restoration and training Artists for special fixes including
removing scratches, dust, splice fixes, title repairs and wire
removal. Created manuals and other administrative documents for QC
Department. Titles I repaired for either back to film, HD or NTSC
output include: "Sunset Boulevard", "Casablanca", "The West Wing",
"Raiders of The Lost Ark" series, "The Godfather" I and II,
"Pinocchio", "Moby Dick", "Mildred Pierce", and "Giant".

Not sure if he means the John Huston version or not...
 
Reply With Quote
 
Chuck Kahn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2004
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> Ned <Ned (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >>11. Now, Voyager

> >
> >Thanks for the list. I watched North By Northwest to inaugurate my new home
> >theater setup with prog-scan DVD and a 55" HDTV and I was blown away by the
> >quality of the restoration. Simply stunning. I look forward to seeing more of
> >their work.

>
> "Now, Voyager" isn't terribly impressive. It appears to mimic the
> periodic flaws on the VHS release.


Maybe LDI's "Now, Voyager" work is only available in certain Regions
-- can anyone confirm this DVD?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Randall Coleman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2004
Sounds like you know something about post-production lab work. So what could
be wrong with the matched camera negative? By 1959 weren't they using the
camera neg only for internegatives (or more correctly, for making
interpositives from which they made the internegatives) from which they did
the release printing? It seems it wouldn't suffer much wear. Nitrate-based
film stocks were no longer used. And acetate is much more stable.
Technicolor is one of the most stable color processes from that era. Please
note, I'm just posing as a devil's advocate. I believe you, but I don't
understand what could have happened to the film elements of so relatively
recent a film.
Also, why hasn't Turner - or whoever the current copyright holder is - taken
steps to preserve such a moneymaker?
"Lincoln Spector" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wlaYb.24542$(E-Mail Removed) m...

> North by Northwest is truly a great-looking DVD, but be careful how you

use
> the word "restoration." The original film elements of NbNw are reportedly

in
> wretched condition, and there's no way to create a decent-looking print.
>
> A great-looking DVD transfer costs much less than a real restoration,

which
> should result in a new internegative and great-looking 35mm prints. That
> still needs to be done on NbNw.
>
> Lincoln
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Scott Norwood
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2004

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Ned <Ned> wrote:
>
>Thanks for the list. I watched North By Northwest to inaugurate my new home
>theater setup with prog-scan DVD and a 55" HDTV and I was blown away by the
>quality of the restoration. Simply stunning. I look forward to seeing more of
>their work.


So when are we going to see a good 35mm print of NxNW? It seems that there's
always a "new 35mm print" of this in circulation on the rep house circuit, and
it seems that this "new 35mm print" always looks crappy.

--
Scott Norwood: (E-Mail Removed), (E-Mail Removed)
Cool Home Page: http://www.redballoon.net/
Lame Quote: Penguins? In Snack Canyon?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Scott Norwood
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2004

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Ned <Ned (E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>>11. Now, Voyager

>>
>>Thanks for the list. I watched North By Northwest to inaugurate my new home
>>theater setup with prog-scan DVD and a 55" HDTV and I was blown away by the
>>quality of the restoration. Simply stunning. I look forward to seeing more of
>>their work.

>
>"Now, Voyager" isn't terribly impressive. It appears to mimic the
>periodic flaws on the VHS release.


What is it about this film that needs restoration? There was a pretty good
35mm print made in 1998 (?) for the WB 75th festival.

--
Scott Norwood: (E-Mail Removed), (E-Mail Removed)
Cool Home Page: http://www.redballoon.net/
Lame Quote: Penguins? In Snack Canyon?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Lincoln Spector
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-17-2004

"Randall Coleman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news8gYb.13097$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sounds like you know something about post-production lab work.

Just what I read.

> So what could
> be wrong with the matched camera negative? By 1959 weren't they using the
> camera neg only for internegatives (or more correctly, for making
> interpositives from which they made the internegatives) from which they

did
> the release printing?
> It seems it wouldn't suffer much wear.

Most films in '59 were printed directly from the ON. But North by Northwest
was an exception, since it was a VistaVision title. With VistaVision, most
prints were Technicolor IB prints made from matrices. The ON was used only
to make the matrices (and perhaps a handfull of 8-perf prints for theaters
that directly supported VistaVision).

> Nitrate-based
> film stocks were no longer used. And acetate is much more stable.

In the long run, acetate hasn't proved much more stable than nitrate. True,
it doesn't tend to burst into flames, but it still shrinks and suffers from
vinegar syndrome.

> Technicolor is one of the most stable color processes from that era.

Technicolor IB dye transfer prints are indeed, extremely stable. They are
not, however, good sources for restoration because of their high contrast.
And the ON, of course, was not an IB print, but Eastmancolor camera
stock--which was extremely unstable then. I don't believe that an
Eastmancolor negative, developed by Technicolor, is all that more stable
than an Eastmancolor negative developed by someone else.

> Please
> note, I'm just posing as a devil's advocate.

No need to apologize. You're asking good questions.

> I believe you, but I don't
> understand what could have happened to the film elements of so relatively
> recent a film.

Recent? It's 45 years old. North by Northwest is older now than Birth of a
Nation was when North by Northwest came out. Lawrence of Arabia was less
than 30 years old when Robert Harris undertook a massive restoration of that
masterpiece.

Keep in mind that Harris also had to do a major restoration on Vertigo, also
shot in VistaVision and Technicolor (Eastmancolor with IB release prints)
just a year before NbNw.

> Also, why hasn't Turner - or whoever the current copyright holder is -

taken
> steps to preserve such a moneymaker?

Ah, the eternal question. Time and money are always limited resources, of
course, and Warners has a huge library to take care of (they own more
American movies than any other company). Properly restoring a film costs a
lot more than mastering a great-looking DVD, and probably doesn't bring in
more money in the short term.

Hopefully they'll get to it before it's too late.

Lincoln


 
Reply With Quote
 
Chuck Kahn
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-18-2004
"Lincoln Spector" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<wlaYb.24542$(E-Mail Removed) om>...
> > Thanks for the list. I watched North By Northwest to inaugurate my new

> home
> > theater setup with prog-scan DVD and a 55" HDTV and I was blown away by

> the
> > quality of the restoration. Simply stunning. I look forward to seeing more

> of
> > their work.

> North by Northwest is truly a great-looking DVD, but be careful how you use
> the word "restoration." The original film elements of NbNw are reportedly in
> wretched condition, and there's no way to create a decent-looking print.
>
> A great-looking DVD transfer costs much less than a real restoration, which
> should result in a new internegative and great-looking 35mm prints. That
> still needs to be done on NbNw.


This is true for NbNw, which was done when they were only doing NTSC
and PAL resolutions, but since then, they have offered 4k
restorations:

"Lowry Digital Images CEO John Lowry says his company performed
end-to-end digital restorations last year for theatrical rereleases of
1950's "Sunset Boulevard" and 1953's "Roman Holiday." His facility
offers 4K scanning, which reassures some preservationists that detail
can be maintained through the digital process."

from http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr...ent_id=2053173
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FA: Restored GOOD, THE BAD, & THE UGLY SE J Rusnak DVD Video 1 11-15-2005 08:45 PM
Network connections not automatically restored at startup =?Utf-8?B?cmp3?= Wireless Networking 0 07-31-2004 08:05 PM
RAID 1 array restored! steve Digital Photography 3 07-01-2004 02:40 AM



Advertisments