Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Your Favorite Foreign Films?

Your Favorite Foreign Films?

DVDfanatico

Which foreign films (from any region) do you recommend?

I love:
The Vanishing: A 5-star movie in Dutch and French that's got a Criterion
(www.criterionco.com) edition. MUST-SEE suspense film. Don't watch the
American version.

Der Blaue Engel. This old B&W German film also has an English-language
counterpart on the same disc but watch the original German language first.
They're very similar but the German is MUCH better. I t has a certain je ne
sais qua. This romance is SO SAD. You'll be in tears by the end. BUY this
film. Works best on a projection TV.

Any Roberto Benigni movie:
La Vita e Bella
The Monster (hilarious)
Johnny Stecchino (also hilarious)
Night on Earth (takes place in five cities and has a really good Winona Ryder
short and an unforgettable sad story that takes place in Helsinki).

Picnic at Hanging Rock. If you like slow movies and Bach music you'll love
this Australian film.

Any John Woo flim if you love intense action.

My Life to Live (Vivre sa vie) Anna Karina is electric. Unforgettable!

Please share your recommendations.

-DVDfanatico

jgb

"DVDfanatico" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Which foreign films (from any region) do you recommend?
>
> I love:
> The Vanishing: A 5-star movie in Dutch and French that's got a Criterion
> (www.criterionco.com) edition. MUST-SEE suspense film. Don't watch the
> American version.
>
> Der Blaue Engel. This old B&W German film also has an English-language
> counterpart on the same disc but watch the original German language first.
> They're very similar but the German is MUCH better. I t has a certain je

ne
> sais qua. This romance is SO SAD. You'll be in tears by the end. BUY

this
> film. Works best on a projection TV.
>
> Any Roberto Benigni movie:
> La Vita e Bella
> The Monster (hilarious)
> Johnny Stecchino (also hilarious)
> Night on Earth (takes place in five cities and has a really good Winona

Ryder
> short and an unforgettable sad story that takes place in Helsinki).
>
> Picnic at Hanging Rock. If you like slow movies and Bach music you'll

love
> this Australian film.
>
> Any John Woo flim if you love intense action.
>
> My Life to Live (Vivre sa vie) Anna Karina is electric. Unforgettable!
>
> Please share your recommendations.
>
> -DVDfanatico

I would start by saying that anything directed by Andrei Tarkovsky is a
5-star spectacle, my favourites being Stalker and The Mirror.

Then, proceeding to Sweden, it's time for Ingmar Bergman... some say his
movies are too slow... I just love them. Try The Seventh Seal, or maybe
Fanny & Alexander. Wild Strawberries is also a regular favourite.

Still in Europe, there are two great Portuguese directors that are worth a
try: Joao Cesar Monteiro and Manoel de Oliveira. From the first, try God's
Comedy and Come and Go (all his works have just been released in DVD by a
Portuguese company: the movies have all been restored and are offered in
high quality prints, along with all his short-movies, and lots more extras.
English and French subtitles! Go to www.atalantafilmes.pt if you're
interested). By Manoel de Oliveira, I could also recommend all of his work.
If you want to check out some DVDs go to the same site, they have 5 of his
movies on DVD. Very much worth it!!

In Spain, there is the genious of Almodovar. Talk To Her may be his most
famous, but Everything About My Mother, Kika and many more of his early work
is also brilliant.

Before going to the Orient, I would like to point out the great Lars Von
Trier. The Idiots, Europa, Breaking The Waves, Dancer In The Dark and the
recent Dogville are all top-notch movies.

My final stack is a Japanese director whose work I have come to know and
love. His name is Takeshi Kitano. Some people dismize his movies for being
too violent. Try out The Summer of Kikuhjiro and Dolls. If you like the
beauty of those movies then proceed to some of his more violent work, like
Violent Cop, Hanna-Bi or even Brother. His latest, Zatoichi is also
marvelous!

Just my two cents!

Mischa van Dinter

On 15 Feb 2004 16:19:27 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (DVDfanatico) wrote:

I have lots of foreign films I like. My recent favourites are the Lord
of the Rings trilogy, but I also like movies like the Princess Bride
and Robocop. And don't forget the Evil Dead series!

Mischa

rwright

> Any Roberto Benigni movie:

Ummm, how about PINOCCHIO?

Vlvetmorning98

The Celebration (Danish)

My Neighbor Totoro

La Femme Nikita

La Jetee (on Short film compilation)

Run Lola Run

The Idiots (Von Trier)

Daisies

Vlvetmorning98

Turkish Delight (Turkis Fruit)

Spetters

The 4th Man

hard to believe, but Paul Verhoeven was once an incredible director

jayembee

(E-Mail Removed) (DVDfanatico) wrote:

>Which foreign films (from any region) do you recommend?

More than you can shake a stick at. Here are some recommendations
(non-English language only, so no British or Australian films). These
are by no means the only ones I'd recommend, but are off the top of my
head.

From the Criterion Collection:

any of the Kurosawa films
TOKYO STORY
KWAIDAN
THE SEVENTH SEAL
GRAND ILLUSION
THE RULES OF THE GAME
M. HULOT'S HOLIDAY
CHILDREN OF PARADISE
WAGES OF FEAR
DIABOLIQUE
BRANDED TO KILL
ANDREI RUBLEV
SOLARIS (Tarkovsky's original)
INSOMNIA (the Norwegian original)
MY LIFE AS A DOG
LA STRADA
L'AVVENTURA
EISENSTEIN: THE SOUND YEARS (including ALEXANDER NEVSKY and IVAN THE
TERRIBLE, Parts I and II)

Others:

THE MYSTERY OF RAMPO (just released)
WINGS OF DESIRE
CHUSINGURA
THE 47 RONIN
BLACK RAIN (Shohei Imamura, if you can find the OOP Image DVD)
METROPOLIS
The Apu Trilogy
AKIRA KUROSAWA'S DREAMS
THE SCENE OF GREEN PAPAYA
THE VERTICAL RAY OF THE SUN
COME AND SEE
FAREWELL, MY CONCUBINE
CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON
TO LIVE

and many, many more...

-- jayembee

Justin

jayembee wrote on [Mon, 16 Feb 2004 04:31:12 GMT]:
> (E-Mail Removed) (DVDfanatico) wrote:
>
>>Which foreign films (from any region) do you recommend?

> More than you can shake a stick at. Here are some recommendations
> (non-English language only, so no British or Australian films).

Why? And what about New Zealand or South African films?

Maureen Goldman

>(E-Mail Removed) (DVDfanatico) wrote:

>Which foreign films (from any region) do you recommend?

By "foreign", do you mean non-American films?

Dick Sidbury

Justin wrote:
> jayembee wrote on [Mon, 16 Feb 2004 04:31:12 GMT]:
>
>>(E-Mail Removed) (DVDfanatico) wrote:
>>

>>>Which foreign films (from any region) do you recommend?

>>More than you can shake a stick at. Here are some recommendations
>>(non-English language only, so no British or Australian films).

> Why? And what about New Zealand or South African films?

Well I can' answer for Jerry, but if you include British then you start
including lots of movies that most of "us Americans" might not consider
foreign such as Dr. No or Lawrence of Arabia.

IMHO
YMMV

dick