Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Theater Surrord system

Theater Surrord system

SBFan2000

I've got a DVD player that is refusing to play about half of my dvd
collection for some unknown reason. (says "no disc" after about 40 seconds)
Anyway, since I would have to pay $100 for a good replacment I thought this
would be a good time to get the home theater system. Unfortunately I don't
know much about what I'm looking at while shopping! For example, DTS, Dolby
Digital, Dolby Digital 5.1-channel, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic II,
etc. I know what 5.1 channel is (5 sats and 1 subwf) but that about it.
I'm looking to get the best possible for about $300. My biggest fear is
that I will get a system that just channels the same audio to all speakers.
I want true surrond sound!

Does anyone either have a link that can help or can explain all this??
Someone educate me!

--
Glenn Griffith

Remove "REMOVESPAM" when emailing!!

Charles Eggen

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 03:05:04 -0500, "SBFan2000"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I've got a DVD player that is refusing to play about half of my dvd
>collection for some unknown reason. (says "no disc" after about 40 seconds)
>Anyway, since I would have to pay $100 for a good replacment I thought this
>would be a good time to get the home theater system. Unfortunately I don't
>know much about what I'm looking at while shopping! For example, DTS, Dolby
>Digital, Dolby Digital 5.1-channel, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic II,
>etc. I know what 5.1 channel is (5 sats and 1 subwf) but that about it.
>I'm looking to get the best possible for about $300. My biggest fear is
>that I will get a system that just channels the same audio to all speakers.
>I want true surrond sound!
>
>Does anyone either have a link that can help or can explain all this??
>Someone educate me!

I would suggest that you are not going to get much of a surround sound
system for $300. Plan to spend at least twice that amount. You might
consider spending a bit of time looking through the following FAQ.
Specific details on "DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital 5.1-channel,
Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic II" can be found in section 3.6.3

http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

Good luck

Charles
nzvideos.org

Skid

"Charles Eggen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 03:05:04 -0500, "SBFan2000"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I've got a DVD player that is refusing to play about half of my dvd
> >collection for some unknown reason. (says "no disc" after about 40

seconds)
> >Anyway, since I would have to pay $100 for a good replacment I thought

this
> >would be a good time to get the home theater system. Unfortunately I

don't
> >know much about what I'm looking at while shopping! For example, DTS,

Dolby
> >Digital, Dolby Digital 5.1-channel, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic II,
> >etc. I know what 5.1 channel is (5 sats and 1 subwf) but that about it.
> >I'm looking to get the best possible for about $300. My biggest fear is
> >that I will get a system that just channels the same audio to all

speakers.
> >I want true surrond sound!
> >
> >Does anyone either have a link that can help or can explain all this??
> >Someone educate me!

> I would suggest that you are not going to get much of a surround sound
> system for $300. Plan to spend at least twice that amount. You might
> consider spending a bit of time looking through the following FAQ.
> Specific details on "DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital 5.1-channel,
> Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic II" can be found in section 3.6.3
>
> http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

Good advice. I personally think that the Kenwood Home-Theater-In-A-Box
systems are very good choices, especially the 506.

See http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/pr...oductTypeId=33

Biz

I have to agree with the 1st two replies as well. YOu really shold spend
the extra cash or you will most likely be disappointed in the whole
experience. As a reference, my center channel costs over $400US. And thats
not even considered that expensive. In your case, you are loooking for a
whole system for $300. Can you buy one for thazt price, sure, but they are
really junk at that price level. "Skid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
message news:F9tXb.34999$jk2.76270@attbi_s53...

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 09:00:12 -0800, Charles Eggen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 03:05:04 -0500, "SBFan2000"
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I've got a DVD player that is refusing to play about half of my dvd
>>collection for some unknown reason. (says "no disc" after about 40 seconds)
>>Anyway, since I would have to pay $100 for a good replacment I thought this
>>would be a good time to get the home theater system. Unfortunately I don't
>>know much about what I'm looking at while shopping! For example, DTS, Dolby
>>Digital, Dolby Digital 5.1-channel, Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic II,
>>etc. I know what 5.1 channel is (5 sats and 1 subwf) but that about it.
>>I'm looking to get the best possible for about $300. My biggest fear is
>>that I will get a system that just channels the same audio to all speakers.
>>I want true surrond sound!
>>
>>Does anyone either have a link that can help or can explain all this??
>>Someone educate me!

>I would suggest that you are not going to get much of a surround sound
>system for $300. Plan to spend at least twice that amount. You might
>consider spending a bit of time looking through the following FAQ.
>Specific details on "DTS, Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital 5.1-channel,
>Dolby Pro Logic, Dolby Pro Logic II" can be found in section 3.6.3
>
>http://dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html
>
>Good luck
>
>Charles
>nzvideos.org

I should have added that I recently spent about $900 for a surround
amp/rec., plus five speakers and associated cabling/wiring. No
subwoofer as I don't care for them. TV, sat receiver, DVD, VHS, CD,
etc. would be in addition to the $900. I might also add that compared
to some systems, this is inexpensive. I know people who spend $900 for
their amp/rec. or maybe even one speaker. Pick your budget and there
is a system that can match it - $300 or $3000+.

Charles
nzvideos.org

McQualude

"SBFan2000" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> I've got a DVD player that is refusing to play about half of my dvd
> collection for some unknown reason. (says "no disc" after about 40
> seconds)

I have a Panasonic that does the same. After some investigation I realized
it only plays single layer discs, inserting a dual layer disc gives the
'no disc' error. I'm not going to have it fixed, but I was told the
problem was the laser pickup.
--
McQualude