Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD Hard Disk + Recorder

DVD Hard Disk + Recorder

And30280

Hi Guys and gals

I am looking to purchase a HDD + Recorder in the near future in the UK soon and
was wondering if anyone has got 1 and if so let me know the details.

Cheers
Andrew

john33907@comcast.net

On 12 Feb 2004 23:10:21 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (And30280) wrote:

>Hi Guys and gals
>
>I am looking to purchase a HDD + Recorder in the near future in the UK soon and
>was wondering if anyone has got 1 and if so let me know the details.
>
>Cheers
>Andrew

get a panasonic

FredBillie

<< From: (E-Mail Removed) (And30280)
Date: Thu, Feb 12, 2004 5:10 PM

Hi Guys and gals

I am looking to purchase a HDD + Recorder in the near future in the UK soon and
was wondering if anyone has got 1 and if so let me know the details.

Cheers
Andrew
>><BR><BR>

Get a Panasonic DMR-80

poldy

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> On 12 Feb 2004 23:10:21 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (And30280) wrote:
>
> >Hi Guys and gals
> >
> >I am looking to purchase a HDD + Recorder in the near future in the UK soon
> >and
> >was wondering if anyone has got 1 and if so let me know the details.
> >
> >Cheers
> >Andrew

> get a panasonic

I've seen some Japanese web sites showing the stuff they have on sale
over there.

They have DVD+ and -RW models with 160 or 250 GB drives. For instance,
in the US, the Sony RDR GX7 is $700 retail and doesn't have a hard drive
but does both + and - formats.

Well the PSX, which also has a PS2 built in, has a model with 160 GB HDD
and + and - capability for $800 and a model with a 250 GB HDD for $1000.

There are models over there without the PS2 which are less.

You would think that later this year, they'll bring out such models over
here so for the same amount of money or maybe less, you'll get HDD units
with support for +R and +RW, which should be superior to the DVD-RAM
format used by the Panasonics.

Matt Ackeret

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
poldy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>You would think that later this year, they'll bring out such models over
>here so for the same amount of money or maybe less, you'll get HDD units
>with support for +R and +RW, which should be superior to the DVD-RAM
>format used by the Panasonics.

How are they superior?

Do they allow you to play something else while recording?

Do they allow you to edit recordings, and/or at the very least delete
individual recordings *without* erasing the whole disc?

DVD-RAM does, some of the other rewritable formats do not.

(I don't own one of the Panasonics, btw, but those and the very very similar
Toshibas are what I'm likely to get, esp when the new models come out in a
month or two.. partially *because* of DVD-RAM, even though I think I'll do
relatively little DVD-rewritable use.. I want the functionality though.)

FredBillie

<< From: (E-Mail Removed) (Matt Ackeret)
Date: Fri, Feb 13, 2004 4:46 PM

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
poldy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>You would think that later this year, they'll bring out such models over
>here so for the same amount of money or maybe less, you'll get HDD units
>with support for +R and +RW, which should be superior to the DVD-RAM
>format used by the Panasonics.

How are they superior?

Do they allow you to play something else while recording?

Do they allow you to edit recordings, and/or at the very least delete
individual recordings *without* erasing the whole disc?

DVD-RAM does, some of the other rewritable formats do not.

(I don't own one of the Panasonics, btw, but those and the very very similar
Toshibas are what I'm likely to get, esp when the new models come out in a
month or two.. partially *because* of DVD-RAM, even though I think I'll do
relatively little DVD-rewritable use.. I want the functionality though.)
>><BR><BR>

Well said. While the original poster may have been alluding to +R and +RW as
being “superior”, he may have been thinking of the fact that they play on
more DVD Players then DVD-Ram does, and that is true, but I burn to a DVD-R
when I want compatibility. As a matter of fact, the inclusion of a hard drive
on my DMR-HS2 seemed to make the DVD-Ram feature somewhat superfluous as I
ALWAYS record to my HD first and then burn desirable material to a DVD-R disk.

NightStalker

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, john33907
@comcast.net says...
> On 12 Feb 2004 23:10:21 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (And30280) wrote:
>
> >Hi Guys and gals
> >
> >I am looking to purchase a HDD + Recorder in the near future in the UK soon and
> >was wondering if anyone has got 1 and if so let me know the details.
> >
> >Cheers
> >Andrew

> get a panasonic

I'd normally agree, but here in Australia, we've been "dudded" by
Panasonic. The E100 in the USA has a 120 Gb drive, but the same model
here only has an 80 Gb drive - and I have no idea why there should be
any difference at all. Not only that, but the price here is still
prohibitive - the E100 is about $Aus 2500, although street prices can be
as "low" as $Aus 2299

So I'm still waitng for the HD sizes to go up and the prices to come
down.

--

NightStalker

fred

We get ****ed on prices for everything in Australia.

"NightStalker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, john33907
> @comcast.net says...
> > On 12 Feb 2004 23:10:21 GMT, (E-Mail Removed) (And30280) wrote:
> >
> > >Hi Guys and gals
> > >
> > >I am looking to purchase a HDD + Recorder in the near future in the UK

soon and
> > >was wondering if anyone has got 1 and if so let me know the details.
> > >
> > >Cheers
> > >Andrew

> > get a panasonic
> >

> I'd normally agree, but here in Australia, we've been "dudded" by
> Panasonic. The E100 in the USA has a 120 Gb drive, but the same model
> here only has an 80 Gb drive - and I have no idea why there should be
> any difference at all. Not only that, but the price here is still
> prohibitive - the E100 is about $Aus 2500, although street prices can be
> as "low" as $Aus 2299
>
> So I'm still waitng for the HD sizes to go up and the prices to come
> down.
>
> --
>
> NightStalker

NightStalker

In article <402ecaa8$0$27644$(E-Mail Removed) u>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...
> We get ****ed on prices for everything in Australia.

I know - but I'm kinda used to that. What I can't understand is the
logic, if any, behind the decision to ship here with a smaller HD...!

Now if it had the bigger HD, and a built-in digital tuner to boot (like
the Thompson unit) then I'd be on my skates faster than the light turns
on to go and buy one.

--

NightStalker