Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD recording question

DVD recording question

ziggy-wiggy

I have a Panasonic E-50 DVD-RAM recorder, to record TV broadcasts onto DVD
RAM discs.

I want to be able to copy the DVD RAM disks on my computer so that I can
burn them back onto cheap DVD-R disks and free up my expensive DVD RAM
disks.

The Panasonic AO5 DVD burner on my computer does not recognise the RAM
disks.

How can I get round this?

joel

"ziggy-wiggy" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:c0dbl7$k18$1$(E-Mail Removed)...
| I have a Panasonic E-50 DVD-RAM recorder, to record TV broadcasts onto DVD
| RAM discs.
|
| I want to be able to copy the DVD RAM disks on my computer so that I can
| burn them back onto cheap DVD-R disks and free up my expensive DVD RAM
| disks.
|
| The Panasonic AO5 DVD burner on my computer does not recognise the RAM
| disks.
|
| How can I get round this?

In my opinion, you need to buy a universal DVD recorder. There are
very few such model.

For example: Iomega Super DVD

http://minilien.com/?b2lux1e6li

joel

ziggy-wiggy

I've been having a scout around and it looks like I may have to buy a new
DVD writer for my computer.

'im looking at the panasonic 107.

thanks anyway

P Pron

ziggy-wiggy wrote:
> I've been having a scout around and it looks like I may have to buy

> new DVD writer for my computer.
>
> 'im looking at the panasonic 107.
>
> thanks anyway

Don't forget that you only need to _read_ DVD-RAM, not write it....

Unless you've got a reason to buy a new writer anyway, you could just
get a DVD-RAM compatible ROM drive to get the recorded discs copied
onto your hard disc for editing.

paul

TCS

On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:06:29 -0000, P Pron <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>ziggy-wiggy wrote:
>> I've been having a scout around and it looks like I may have to buy

>> new DVD writer for my computer.
>>
>> 'im looking at the panasonic 107.
>>
>> thanks anyway

>Don't forget that you only need to _read_ DVD-RAM, not write it....

especially if reading blank media is your idea of fun.

on a clear disk you can seek forever.

P Pron

TCS wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 23:06:29 -0000, P Pron
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> ziggy-wiggy wrote:
>>> I've been having a scout around and it looks like I may have to

buy
>>> new DVD writer for my computer.
>>>
>>> 'im looking at the panasonic 107.
>>>
>>> thanks anyway

>> Don't forget that you only need to _read_ DVD-RAM, not write it....

> especially if reading blank media is your idea of fun.
>

> on a clear disk you can seek forever.

Not understood.

According to the original post, Mr Wiggy wants to transfer movies
recorded on a Panasonic E-50 recorder onto his HD, then burn them to
DVD-R, freeing up the more expensive DVD-RAM discs that the Panasonic
uses.

To achieve this, he needs to be able to _read_ DVD-RAM discs, not
write them.

His existing burner will be doing the writing - onto DVD-R discs.

The _DVD-RAM_ writing is done on the Panasonic E-50 recorder, so they
won't be blank - they'll have movies on them - until he reformats them
to use again.

Or have I missed some subtle point?

paul

sanpablo

I picked up an older Panasonic DVD-RAM drive/recorder . You can
find these on Ebay for around $50 or even less.

I use TMPGEnc DVD Author ($6
http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/index.html

to convert the DVD-RAM disks from my Panasonic DMR-E80H to DVD-R.
Works very well.

ziggy-wiggy

> According to the original post, Mr Wiggy wants to transfer movies
> recorded on a Panasonic E-50 recorder onto his HD, then burn them to
> DVD-R, freeing up the more expensive DVD-RAM discs that the Panasonic
> uses.
>
> To achieve this, he needs to be able to _read_ DVD-RAM discs, not
> write them.
>
> His existing burner will be doing the writing - onto DVD-R discs.
>
> The _DVD-RAM_ writing is done on the Panasonic E-50 recorder, so they
> won't be blank - they'll have movies on them - until he reformats them
> to use again.

Yes Paul you are correct.

I have had a scout round the net for a RAM reader which has a decent read
speed but they all seem to be quite slow. The Panasonic 107 reads RAM at
only 2x and does not write to RAM disks.

SVP http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/index.html have the the 107 in stock for
less than £100 which is the cheapest I've seen.

Therefore, for the extra £50 or so that is would cost for the ability to
write dvd+r's or dvd-r's at 8 speed over a dedicated RAM reader, I still
think I'll stick with the 107.

thanks for your help.