Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Star Wars & double standards

Reply
Thread Tools

Star Wars & double standards

 
 
John
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2004
How many people were complaining that the original, US theatrical
version of Sergio Leone's 'Once Upon a Time in America' wasn't released.
That's the 139min version...

Not many I suspect because the film, as the director originally intended
it to be, was the 227min version we got last year.

Yet when George Lucas wants Star Wars in the way he originally intended
it to be, every little fanboy cries foul.

Oh well, your loss. I know I'll get it and enjoy it.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Justin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2004
John wrote on [Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:34:54 +0800]:
> How many people were complaining that the original, US theatrical
> version of Sergio Leone's 'Once Upon a Time in America' wasn't released.
> That's the 139min version...
>
> Not many I suspect because the film, as the director originally intended
> it to be, was the 227min version we got last year.


Not me. As I don't care for that movie.

Yet the Highlander SE is the one I saw in the theatre, so I am all for
that.


> Yet when George Lucas wants Star Wars in the way he originally intended
> it to be, every little fanboy cries foul.
>


BULLSHIT HE DID!

He wussed out over time. Star Wars was SUPPOSED to be gritty and "real",
yet by the time Jedi came out he had started the wussing.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Mike Kohary
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2004
"John" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:402986bd$0$1750$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> How many people were complaining that the original, US theatrical
> version of Sergio Leone's 'Once Upon a Time in America' wasn't released.
> That's the 139min version...
>
> Not many I suspect because the film, as the director originally intended
> it to be, was the 227min version we got last year.
>
> Yet when George Lucas wants Star Wars in the way he originally intended
> it to be, every little fanboy cries foul.


Big difference - Leone actually filmed his work at the time and truly
intended it to be a certain way, only to meet resistance from the suits.

Lucas is *revising* his previous work with new work. Even if he really
intended it that way originally (which is entirely debateable, seeing as how
he had total creative control and final cut), lacking a time machine,
there's no other way for him to rectify the situation. Furthermore, I
wouldn't say a word if he released his precious Special Editions if he
included the original editions as well. It's his refusal to even
acknowledge the existence of his original groundbreaking films that irks me
to no end.

Finally, for what it's worth, I advocate that all films be released on DVD
in their original theatrical form (along with whatever other form is
included), including Leone's film. DVD, after all, has a seamless branching
feature that would be tremendously useful in this respect (see "The Abyss"
and "T2" releases), but is largely ignored.

Mike

 
Reply With Quote
 
Ian Galbraith
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2004
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:34:54 +0800, John <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>How many people were complaining that the original, US theatrical
>version of Sergio Leone's 'Once Upon a Time in America' wasn't released.
>That's the 139min version...


>Not many I suspect because the film, as the director originally intended
>it to be, was the 227min version we got last year.


That was Leone's original cut.

>Yet when George Lucas wants Star Wars in the way he originally intended
>it to be,


This wasn't Lucas's original cut. If you honestly believe the new ones
are "how he originally intended them to be" then I've got this bridge
for sale.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2004
John wrote:

> Yet when George Lucas wants Star Wars in the way he originally
> intended it to be, every little fanboy cries foul.
>
> Oh well, your loss. I know I'll get it and enjoy it.


Actually, it's not my loss, because if I get it, I WON'T enjoy it.
The only enjoyment I'll ever get from eps 4-6 is from my VHS copies.



 
Reply With Quote
 
jonalouvjona
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2004
On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:34:54 +0800, John <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Yet when George Lucas wants Star Wars in the way he originally intended
>it to be, every little fanboy cries foul.
>
>Oh well, your loss. I know I'll get it and enjoy it.


George Lucas is a hasbeen. He's like Disney Studios ... constantly
rehashing the same 30 year old crap over and over and trying to trick
us to buy it again. Sorry fanboi, I don't support laziness and lack of
innovation.

Besides, Ep1 left a real foul stench which sullied the SW movies.
Didn't bother watching Ep2.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Shadowhawk
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2004
I've been saying the same thing for years.

If Star Wars had been some small cult film that never made any money, the fans
would love the special editions.

Remember back when they released the Special Editions. Every article was about
how audiences would finally get the chance to see George Lucas' definitive
vision of Star Wars. And everyone seemed to be into it...

....Until it made lots of money in re-release.

At the end of the day the only thing that matters is what the audiences
think. Not what a small group of people on the Internet think. To this day
I've yet to meet anyone "in person" who has a problem with the special
editions, or the prequels. I have nothing but great experiences seeing the new
movies in the theaters, and am always surprised by the hate and comments that
make it to the Internet.

Maybe it's just one jealous Star Trek fan who posts under dozens of different
e-mail addresses... I guess we'll never know.

Later,
Shaun!
--------

Check out my Homepage
http://Shadowhawk27.tripod.com/

delete Nospam from e-mail to reply!
 
Reply With Quote
 
Cernovog
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2004
On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:50:13 -0500, Mike Kohary wrote
(in message <c0c1om$te1$(E-Mail Removed)>):

> Finally, for what it's worth, I advocate that all films be released on DVD
> in their original theatrical form (along with whatever other form is
> included), including Leone's film. DVD, after all, has a seamless branching
> feature that would be tremendously useful in this respect (see "The Abyss"
> and "T2" releases), but is largely ignored.


What I never understood is why they don't use this feature to give home
viewers more parental control?

With all the yelling and screaming over those Clean Flix guys who censor
movies for Mormons, I don't understand why Hollywood doesn't cash in and give
people the ability to watch versions of their movies with violence and
swearing cut out?

With the seamless branching feature, you could just choose a version from the
menu and it would skip over those scenes.

Now don't say that the creators or studios would balk at this bastardization
of their art. They already allow this for broadcast television versions.
Besides that, swearing is often added just to avoid getting a G- or
PG-rating. (Back to the Future is an excellent example.)

 
Reply With Quote
 
Justin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2004
Shadowhawk wrote on [11 Feb 2004 05:48:27 GMT]:
> I've been saying the same thing for years.
>
> If Star Wars had been some small cult film that never made any money, the fans
> would love the special editions.
>
> Remember back when they released the Special Editions. Every article was about
> how audiences would finally get the chance to see George Lucas' definitive
> vision of Star Wars. And everyone seemed to be into it...
>
> ...Until it made lots of money in re-release.


No. Until we saw the lame and stupid changes that were unnecessary.

> At the end of the day the only thing that matters is what the audiences
> think. Not what a small group of people on the Internet think. To this day
> I've yet to meet anyone "in person" who has a problem with the special
> editions, or the prequels. I have nothing but great experiences seeing the new
> movies in the theaters, and am always surprised by the hate and comments that
> make it to the Internet.


That's odd. I have yet to meet "in person" anyone who prefers the SE
over the originals.


I know plenty that will "put up" with the SEs, but they would prefer the
originals.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Paul
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-11-2004
jonalouvjona wrote:

> Besides, Ep1 left a real foul stench which sullied the SW movies.


Nope, the Ewoks in ep 6 did that.



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cannot convert parameter from 'double (double)' to 'double (__cdecl *)(double)' error Sydex C++ 12 02-17-2005 06:30 PM
Star Wars Q: How severe are the bars on widescreen Star Wars DVD set? TNEXTWAVE DVD Video 22 10-01-2004 10:44 PM
DVD Verdict reviews: THE STAR WARS TRILOGY, STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES, SEASON ONE, and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 0 09-27-2004 09:08 AM
Re: Star Wars: Clone Wars on dvd? Machina3317 DVD Video 2 04-14-2004 01:11 PM
Re: Sound problems on DVDs (was Re: Star Wars digression was Re: The Myths of Gaming) (was: Star Wars digression was Re: The Myths of Gaming) Terry Austin DVD Video 0 12-02-2003 03:21 AM



Advertisments