Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Star Wars is not being released to DVD!

Star Wars is not being released to DVD!

Mike Kohary

DVDFile.com reports:
-------------------
Of course, the big question mark amongst fans has always been whether Lucas
would allow the original, unaltered original editions of the trilogy to also
be released on DVD. Not possible, said Ward, who confirmed that the upcoming
set will feature only the 1997 Special Edition versions of each film. "What
George did in 1997," Ward explains, "was [to] make the movie he originally
wanted to make."
So what are the faithful to do if they don't want to watch the altered 1997
editions of the trilogy? Either give in, or don't buy. "We realize there's a
lot of debate out there," says Ward. "But this is not a democracy. We love
our fans, but this is about art and filmmaking. [George] has decided that
the sole version he wants available is this one."

-------------------

So, in other words, "Star Wars" (1977), "The Empire Strikes Back" (1980),
and "Return of the Jedi" (1983) will remain "holy grail" titles for those of
us clammoring for Star Wars on DVD, because those movies are *NOT* being
released to DVD.

This *is* about art and filmmaking, and George Lucas is committing a grave
artistic travesty by burying the films that were such cinematic phenomenons
and eventually became cultural icons. Whether you personally prefer the
originals or the so-called "Special Editions", there is no debate about
which films scored a major hit with hundreds of millions of people across
the planet, and they deserve their place in history in unrevised form.

Damn George Lucas for not seeing this.

Mike

Hank

Rumor has it that Mike Kohary put forth the following:

>Damn George Lucas for not seeing this.

I share your pain, but I assume that the original versions do in fact exist
somewhere, in some abandoned salt mine hundreds of feet below the surface or on
some digital tape in a Swiss bank.

That's all that counts, that the originals *do* exist, for given this rest
assured that eventually they will be released.

Maybe after you and I are long gone, but they *will* be released....

--

Hank
Dallas, TX "Religion is a smile on a dog..." (New Bohs)

Paul C.

"Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:c0bjn9$2f6$0
@pita.alt.net:

> Damn George Lucas for not seeing this.
>
> Mike

Big deal, for all those who care there are just as many or more who
will gleefully buy them when they come out. There's absolutely
nothing you can do about it so why waste your time ?

Mike Kohary

"Paul C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns948BB66981488abcdefghjklica@198.164.200.20 ...

> Big deal, for all those who care there are just as many or more who
> will gleefully buy them when they come out. There's absolutely
> nothing you can do about it so why waste your time ?

I may even buy them myself, because I have no other choice and they'll be
better than nothing, but whether or not I can do anything about it is beside
the point. I despair over what is happening to the people in Rwanda, even
though I can do nothing about it. I advocate all sorts of things I can't
have any direct effect on, and so do you.

I think this is an important issue. It's about art and history, and whether
or not it's right to revise either. It involves 3 of the most influential
movies in the history of cinema. It should be talked about, whether or not
anyone can "do anything about it".

Who knows? Maybe Lucas can be convinced.

Mike

Mike Kohary

"Hank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> I share your pain, but I assume that the original versions do in fact

exist
> somewhere, in some abandoned salt mine hundreds of feet below the surface

or on
> some digital tape in a Swiss bank.
>
> That's all that counts, that the originals *do* exist, for given this rest
> assured that eventually they will be released.
>
> Maybe after you and I are long gone, but they *will* be released....

Which is no help to you or I.

I guess I may as well publicize this a little more:
http://www.kohary.com/starwars_dvd/

Mike

Richard C.

Guess it is time to make DVD copies of my THX LDs..................

for my own personal use.........of course...........................
=================================
"Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:c0bjn9$2f6$(E-Mail Removed)...
: DVDFile.com reports:
: -------------------
: Of course, the big question mark amongst fans has always been whether Lucas
: would allow the original, unaltered original editions of the trilogy to also
: be released on DVD. Not possible, said Ward, who confirmed that the upcoming
: set will feature only the 1997 Special Edition versions of each film. "What
: George did in 1997," Ward explains, "was [to] make the movie he originally
: wanted to make."
: So what are the faithful to do if they don't want to watch the altered 1997
: editions of the trilogy? Either give in, or don't buy. "We realize there's a
: lot of debate out there," says Ward. "But this is not a democracy. We love
: our fans, but this is about art and filmmaking. [George] has decided that
: the sole version he wants available is this one."
:
: -------------------
:
[...]

Jay Stewart

"Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0blgq$6ec$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Paul C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns948BB66981488abcdefghjklica@198.164.200.20 ...
> >
> > Big deal, for all those who care there are just as many or more who
> > will gleefully buy them when they come out. There's absolutely
> > nothing you can do about it so why waste your time ?

> I may even buy them myself, because I have no other choice and they'll be
> better than nothing, but whether or not I can do anything about it is

beside
> the point. I despair over what is happening to the people in Rwanda, even
> though I can do nothing about it. I advocate all sorts of things I can't
> have any direct effect on, and so do you.
>
> I think this is an important issue. It's about art and history, and

whether
> or not it's right to revise either. It involves 3 of the most influential
> movies in the history of cinema. It should be talked about, whether or

not
> anyone can "do anything about it".
>
> Who knows? Maybe Lucas can be convinced.
>
> Mike

You should read up on Rwanda before you trvialize it by comparing it to Star
Wars not coming out in its original form.

http://tinyurl.com/2bnmq

LASERandDVDfan

>Big deal, for all those who care there are just as many or more who
>will gleefully buy them when they come out. There's absolutely
>nothing you can do about it so why waste your time ?

There's always LaserDisc. - Reinhart

Dick Sidbury

Mike Kohary wrote:
> DVDFile.com reports:
> -------------------
> Of course, the big question mark amongst fans has always been whether Lucas
> would allow the original, unaltered original editions of the trilogy to also
> be released on DVD. Not possible, said Ward, who confirmed that the upcoming
> set will feature only the 1997 Special Edition versions of each film. "What
> George did in 1997," Ward explains, "was [to] make the movie he originally
> wanted to make."

When I hear this I always wonder why Greedo didn't shoot first in the
original movie. If this was part of the movie that he originally wanted
to make why didn't he do it originally?

dick
--but after seeing Ep 1 and Ep 2 I can actually believe Lucas thinks he
means this.

Mike Kohary

"Jay Stewart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c0blgq$6ec$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > "Paul C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:Xns948BB66981488abcdefghjklica@198.164.200.20 ...
> > >
> > > Big deal, for all those who care there are just as many or more who
> > > will gleefully buy them when they come out. There's absolutely
> > > nothing you can do about it so why waste your time ?

> > I may even buy them myself, because I have no other choice and they'll

be
> > better than nothing, but whether or not I can do anything about it is

> beside
> > the point. I despair over what is happening to the people in Rwanda,

even
> > though I can do nothing about it. I advocate all sorts of things I

can't
> > have any direct effect on, and so do you.
> >
> > I think this is an important issue. It's about art and history, and

> whether
> > or not it's right to revise either. It involves 3 of the most

influential
> > movies in the history of cinema. It should be talked about, whether or

> not
> > anyone can "do anything about it".
> >
> > Who knows? Maybe Lucas can be convinced.
> >
> > Mike

> You should read up on Rwanda before you trvialize it by comparing it to

Star
> Wars not coming out in its original form.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2bnmq

I didn't compare the two, and I've been following the events in Rwanda for
years. Read for comprehension, not gut reaction - I was giving another
example where I care about something I can't actually do anything about.

Mike