Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Star Wars is not being released to DVD!

Star Wars is not being released to DVD!

Keeper of the Purple Twilight

Do I hear violins?

--
"No urban night is like the night [in NYC]...here is our poetry, for we have
pulled down the stars to our will."

Mike Kohary

"Derek Balling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:100220041948356683%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <bPdWb.22350$(E-Mail Removed)> , Lincoln
> Spector <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Not a safe assumption. Oh, sure, it exists in some forms. I have it on

CAV
> > Laserdisc myself. the question is: Does it exist in a form that can

recreate
> > the visual splendor of the original release?

> My understanding is that there is at least one print of the '77 Star
> Wars preserved outside the reach of George Lucas' Newspeak Division.
>
> When AFI was archiving the "Top 100" films for preservation, the
> popular story goes that Lucas sent over a print of the SE, which AFI
> returned as "not being that film which was marked for preservation".
>
> I've heard two versions of the story, one being that a 77 print was
> finally "found" and sent over, the other that a 78 print was sent over
> (78 added the "EPISODE IV" to the title crawl, and that's it).
>
> Either way, it seems AFI has a print. And so long as they hold up their
> end of the bargain, in 68 years, it'll be out of copyright, and you can
> have a copy.

So, all I have to do is hang on until I'm 102 years old, and then I can
watch the original 1977 or 1978 version of Star Wars on the chip implant in
my brain. Well, why didn't you say so in the first place?

Mike

Mike Kohary

"Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
> Mike Kohary wrote on [Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:50:30 -0800]:
> > So, in other words, "Star Wars" (1977), "The Empire Strikes Back"

(1980),
> > and "Return of the Jedi" (1983) will remain "holy grail" titles for

those of
> > us clammoring for Star Wars on DVD, because those movies are *NOT* being
> > released to DVD.
> >
> > This *is* about art and filmmaking, and George Lucas is committing a

grave
> > artistic travesty by burying the films that were such cinematic

phenomenons
> > and eventually became cultural icons. Whether you personally prefer the
> > originals or the so-called "Special Editions", there is no debate about
> > which films scored a major hit with hundreds of millions of people

across
> > the planet, and they deserve their place in history in unrevised form.
> >
> > Damn George Lucas for not seeing this.

> He's not going to!
>
> HE'S NOT GOING TO!
>
> Sunk in yet?

Heh. Difference being, *this* is worth fighting for.

Mike

Mark B.

"LASERandDVDfan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >Big deal, for all those who care there are just as many or more who
> >will gleefully buy them when they come out. There's absolutely
> >nothing you can do about it so why waste your time ?
> >

> There's always LaserDisc. - Reinhart

....or pirated DVDs made from the LD.

Mark

Thomas A. Horsley

Ah heck! Forget Star Wars - I still want a DVD of Blade Runner with
the Harrison Ford voice overs intact (I do agree with Ridley Scott
about all the other changes though .
--
>>==>> The *Best* political site <URL:http://www.vote-smart.org/> >>==+

email: http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) icbm: Delray Beach, FL |
<URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley> Free Software and Politics <<==+

Peter Koenig

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 19:48:35 -0500, Derek Balling <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>In article <bPdWb.22350$(E-Mail Removed)> , Lincoln
>Spector <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Not a safe assumption. Oh, sure, it exists in some forms. I have it on CAV
>> Laserdisc myself. the question is: Does it exist in a form that can recreate
>> the visual splendor of the original release?

>My understanding is that there is at least one print of the '77 Star
>Wars preserved outside the reach of George Lucas' Newspeak Division.
>
>When AFI was archiving the "Top 100" films for preservation, the
>popular story goes that Lucas sent over a print of the SE, which AFI
>returned as "not being that film which was marked for preservation".
>
>I've heard two versions of the story, one being that a 77 print was
>finally "found" and sent over, the other that a 78 print was sent over
>(78 added the "EPISODE IV" to the title crawl, and that's it).
>
>Either way, it seems AFI has a print. And so long as they hold up their
>end of the bargain, in 68 years, it'll be out of copyright, and you can
>have a copy.

If they don't exist, they can be recreated with the same digital magic
that trashed them. Erase the recycled Jurassic Park dinos, edit out
the cutesy robot whapping the other one on the head and the
redundant Jabba scene, digitally paint Obi Wan's original dwelling...
it's better than nothing.

And at one time, didn't Fox have the ability to release the first Star
Wars all by themselves? Is that still true? I thought Lucas only owned
Empire and Jedi video rights. Of course Fox has to bow to him now
unless they want to see "Episode III- A Paramount Picture" but maybe
someday they can act on their own to preserve the picture.

I hadn't heard that AFI story, but they didn't apply the same rules to
the top 100 broadcast special which ran an SE clip (the death star
explosion, I think) with the title "Star Wars (1977)" over it.

Peter Koenig

Jay Stewart

"Mark B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> "LASERandDVDfan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >Big deal, for all those who care there are just as many or more who
> > >will gleefully buy them when they come out. There's absolutely
> > >nothing you can do about it so why waste your time ?
> > >

> > There's always LaserDisc. - Reinhart

> ...or pirated DVDs made from the LD.
>
> Mark

Or Asian porn!

Oops, wrong newsgroup!

Jay Stewart

Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0c0ei$qm8$(E-Mail Removed)...

<snip>

> > Either way, it seems AFI has a print. And so long as they hold up their
> > end of the bargain, in 68 years, it'll be out of copyright, and you can
> > have a copy.

> So, all I have to do is hang on until I'm 102 years old, and then I can
> watch the original 1977 or 1978 version of Star Wars on the chip implant

in
> my brain. Well, why didn't you say so in the first place?
>
> Mike

Mmmm...chips.

Peter Briggs

Hank <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I share your pain, but I assume that the original versions do in fact
> exist somewhere, in some abandoned salt mine hundreds of feet below the
> surface or on some digital tape in a Swiss bank.

No, they don't.

Go do a search on Google on this...I did a fairly detailed post a while
back.

Sure, you could have "versions" of the original. But the negative is
gone, deteriorated, date. Internegs and interpositives are all you'll
ever get. The picture will be less than stellar.

Of course, you could do a "My Fair Lady" and tweak that a few percent
better, but the picture quality isn't going to be as good as the SEs.
(If I recall correctly -- and I wince at the sheer stupidity of this --
Lucas, when doing the SEs in '97, REFUSED the additional cost of doing
high-quality digital scans of the original material. Just
incredible...)

Peter Briggs

Mike Kohary <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> http://www.kohary.com/starwars_dvd/