Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Star Wars is not being released to DVD!

Star Wars is not being released to DVD!

Mike Kohary

"Dick Sidbury" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0bngj$14me1v$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> When I hear this I always wonder why Greedo didn't shoot first in the
> original movie. If this was part of the movie that he originally wanted
> to make why didn't he do it originally?

The fact is, Lucas is misguided and kidding himself.

> --but after seeing Ep 1 and Ep 2 I can actually believe Lucas thinks he
> means this.

Case in point.

Mike

Lincoln Spector

> I share your pain, but I assume that the original versions do in fact
exist
> somewhere, in some abandoned salt mine hundreds of feet below the surface

or on
> some digital tape in a Swiss bank.

Not a safe assumption. Oh, sure, it exists in some forms. I have it on CAV
Laserdisc myself. the question is: Does it exist in a form that can recreate
the visual splendor of the original release?

For that, you would need 35mm intermediates made off of the original
negative (ON) or, better yet, the ON itself. If Lucas chopped up the ON when
he created the Spurious Editions, and threw out what he no longer wanted, it
might be quite difficult to recreate the original in anything resembling
it's original form.

Lincoln

Lincoln Spector

Actually, I think he's going to release it in a new, Extra Special Edition,
which will contain the movies that he now realizes he originally meant to
make, allowing him to ban all early versions forever. Among the changes:

* Every battle and action sequence will be preceded with a new shot of
Greedo firing first.

* All blasters will be replaced by walkie-talkies.

* The opening crawl, and all dialog will be removed. In their place will be
a new narration by a computer-generated voice of Charlie Chaplin.

Lincoln

Hank

Rumor has it that Lincoln Spector put forth the following:

>For that, you would need 35mm intermediates made off of the original
>negative (ON) or, better yet, the ON itself. If Lucas chopped up the ON when
>he created the Spurious Editions, and threw out what he no longer wanted, it
>might be quite difficult to recreate the original in anything resembling
>it's original form.

Yes.

I'm just assuming/hoping that even Lucas wouldn't do this (i.e. not save the
original negative in some form).

--

Hank
Dallas, TX "Religion is a smile on a dog..." (New Bohs)

TSKO

"Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c0blgq$6ec$(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Paul C." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:Xns948BB66981488abcdefghjklica@198.164.200.20 ...
> >
> > Big deal, for all those who care there are just as many or more who
> > will gleefully buy them when they come out. There's absolutely
> > nothing you can do about it so why waste your time ?

> I may even buy them myself, because I have no other choice and they'll be
> better than nothing, but whether or not I can do anything about it is

beside
> the point. I despair over what is happening to the people in Rwanda, even
> though I can do nothing about it. I advocate all sorts of things I can't
> have any direct effect on, and so do you.
>
> I think this is an important issue. It's about art and history, and

whether
> or not it's right to revise either. It involves 3 of the most influential
> movies in the history of cinema. It should be talked about, whether or

not
> anyone can "do anything about it".
>
> Who knows? Maybe Lucas can be convinced.
>
> Mike

My thoughts exactely!

Joe Pendyck

So I guess the big laser disc box set I bought a few years ago called
"The Definitve Collection" really wasn't definitive?
Personally, I don't really care to much about this, but I believe
Lucas owes the fans who do care. After all, where would he be if the
fans didn't exist?

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:50:30 -0800, "Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>DVDFile.com reports:
>-------------------
>Of course, the big question mark amongst fans has always been whether Lucas
>would allow the original, unaltered original editions of the trilogy to also
>be released on DVD. Not possible, said Ward, who confirmed that the upcoming
>set will feature only the 1997 Special Edition versions of each film. "What
>George did in 1997," Ward explains, "was [to] make the movie he originally
>wanted to make."
>So what are the faithful to do if they don't want to watch the altered 1997
>editions of the trilogy? Either give in, or don't buy. "We realize there's a
>lot of debate out there," says Ward. "But this is not a democracy. We love
>our fans, but this is about art and filmmaking. [George] has decided that
>the sole version he wants available is this one."
>
>-------------------
>
>So, in other words, "Star Wars" (1977), "The Empire Strikes Back" (1980),
>and "Return of the Jedi" (1983) will remain "holy grail" titles for those of
>us clammoring for Star Wars on DVD, because those movies are *NOT* being
>released to DVD.
>
>This *is* about art and filmmaking, and George Lucas is committing a grave
>artistic travesty by burying the films that were such cinematic phenomenons
>and eventually became cultural icons. Whether you personally prefer the
>originals or the so-called "Special Editions", there is no debate about
>which films scored a major hit with hundreds of millions of people across
>the planet, and they deserve their place in history in unrevised form.
>
>Damn George Lucas for not seeing this.
>
>Mike

Derek Balling

In article <bPdWb.22350$(E-Mail Removed)> , Lincoln
Spector <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Not a safe assumption. Oh, sure, it exists in some forms. I have it on CAV
> Laserdisc myself. the question is: Does it exist in a form that can recreate
> the visual splendor of the original release?

My understanding is that there is at least one print of the '77 Star
Wars preserved outside the reach of George Lucas' Newspeak Division.

When AFI was archiving the "Top 100" films for preservation, the
popular story goes that Lucas sent over a print of the SE, which AFI
returned as "not being that film which was marked for preservation".

I've heard two versions of the story, one being that a 77 print was
finally "found" and sent over, the other that a 78 print was sent over
(78 added the "EPISODE IV" to the title crawl, and that's it).

Either way, it seems AFI has a print. And so long as they hold up their
end of the bargain, in 68 years, it'll be out of copyright, and you can
have a copy.

Lincoln Spector

"Hank" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rumor has it that Lincoln Spector put forth the following:
>
> >For that, you would need 35mm intermediates made off of the original
> >negative (ON) or, better yet, the ON itself. If Lucas chopped up the ON

when
> >he created the Spurious Editions, and threw out what he no longer wanted,

it
> >might be quite difficult to recreate the original in anything resembling
> >it's original form.

> Yes.
>
> I'm just assuming/hoping that even Lucas wouldn't do this (i.e. not save

the
> original negative in some form).

I don't share that assumption. A while ago, I read a quote from a Lucus
representative, talking about how it's only the Special Edition from now on.
He said the original version "no longer exists." I hope he wasn't talking
literally, but I don't feel certain about that.

Lincoln

Mike Kohary

"Lincoln Spector" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%0fWb.22397$(E-Mail Removed) om...

> > I'm just assuming/hoping that even Lucas wouldn't do this (i.e. not save

> the
> > original negative in some form).

> I don't share that assumption. A while ago, I read a quote from a Lucus
> representative, talking about how it's only the Special Edition from now

on.
> He said the original version "no longer exists." I hope he wasn't talking
> literally, but I don't feel certain about that.

I remember reading that quote, and feeling a sinking feeling in my gut. I
shook it off and said to myself, "Surely he doesn't mean that literally,"
and I think that's probably true. Even Lucas wouldn't be so misguided as to
destroy an original work - at the very least, he'd keep a digital archive of
the original negative. It's a producer's maxim to always retain access to
the original product.

Still, I never would have thought that a filmmaker with Lucas' caliber of
vision and talent would shun his original works so effortlessly in favor of
revised updates. I understand the compulsion to improve a past work, but I
can't begin to identify with the hand-in-hand compulsion to bury the past
work that Lucas apparently suffers from. For all we know, the originals
*don't* exist anymore - and that would truly be a crime against art.

Mike

Justin

Mike Kohary wrote on [Tue, 10 Feb 2004 13:50:30 -0800]:
> So, in other words, "Star Wars" (1977), "The Empire Strikes Back" (1980),
> and "Return of the Jedi" (1983) will remain "holy grail" titles for those of
> us clammoring for Star Wars on DVD, because those movies are *NOT* being
> released to DVD.
>
> This *is* about art and filmmaking, and George Lucas is committing a grave
> artistic travesty by burying the films that were such cinematic phenomenons
> and eventually became cultural icons. Whether you personally prefer the
> originals or the so-called "Special Editions", there is no debate about
> which films scored a major hit with hundreds of millions of people across
> the planet, and they deserve their place in history in unrevised form.
>
> Damn George Lucas for not seeing this.

He's not going to!

HE'S NOT GOING TO!

Sunk in yet?