Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Star Wars is not being released to DVD!

Star Wars is not being released to DVD!

Mike Kohary

"Scott in Aztlán" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >>Way ahead of ya, Mike...

> >If you'd like to contribute your own documentation/story on how you
> >did yours, feel free and I'll post it on the website. That invitation
> >is open to everyone who has made their own Original Trilogy Star Wars
> >DVDs - the whole purpose of the website is not piracy, but to provide
> >documentation for those who would like to make their own DVDs.

> I own several LaserDiscs that have not yet come out on DVD (Star Wars

Trilogy,
> the Criterion Bonds, Dial 'M' For Murder). FWIW, I use a Pinnacle video

capture
> card to capture the output directly from the LaserDisc player (i.e. no
> intermediate step of recording to digital videotape), edit the captured

video in
> Adobe Premiere, and then master the DVD using either Pinnace Impression or
> DVDit!.

Thanks Scott. This seems to be the preferred method for many people who
write to me.

Mike

Peter Briggs

Hank <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> >Ah, well. Not wishing to invite charges of copyright violation (!),

> Does't Fair Use allow you to make an 'archival copy' for your own,
> personal use?

I would imagine that's dependent upon the country one resides in?

Jay Stewart

"Scott in Aztlán" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 20:42:52 GMT, "Jay Stewart" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >"Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...

> ><(E-Mail Removed)>

> >> Because you have to flip laserdiscs

> >...unless you have a player that plays both sides.

> Even then, there is a long pause while the player switches sides - much

longer than the layer switch on a DVD.

....but not long enough to get another beer without missing something!

Mike Kohary

"Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:T8yXb.5528$(E-Mail Removed) nk.net...
> "Mike Kohary" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Interesting. I guess I wouldn't consider that the "theatrical cut",
> > more like a first/rough/workprint cut (whatever you want to label it),
> > but it sure would be interesting to see. He didn't really *destroy*
> > it, did he? If he did, <sigh>, I don't know why artists ever destroy
> > any part of their work, even if they don't use it. I have file
> > folders full of rough ideas and outlines that I'll never use, but
> > sheesh, I keep the stuff for posterity's sake. What is the point of
> > burning it up?

> Kubrick was of the opinion that the finished film was the only thing
> that anyone ever needed to see, and that extraneous information just as
> deleted scenes or behind-the-scenes footage would just distract from the
> work. He didn't want anyone to ever see it, so he burned it all.

It's a terrible position to take, because the background material will
obviously be of great interest to film historians, if no one else.

Beethoven used to toss rough works and ideas into his trash can on a daily
basis. What I wouldn't give to go back in time and be his housemaid.

Mike

Justin

Jay Stewart wrote on [Sun, 15 Feb 2004 20:42:52 GMT]:
> "Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
>> Scott in Aztlán wrote on [Sat, 14 Feb 2004 22:31:06 -0800]:
>> > On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 06:46:15 +1300, Max Christoffersen

> <(E-Mail Removed)>

>> > Because LaserDiscs rot.

>> Because you have to flip laserdiscs

> ...unless you have a player that plays both sides.

Well then, halfway through the movie you have to change discs!

Vincent Formosa

but you have to get up to change the discs.

definitive edition star wars is on 5 sides.

wrote:

> > >"Justin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > >news:(E-Mail Removed)2go.com...
> > ><(E-Mail Removed)>

LDs..................

> > >...unless you have a player that plays both sides.

> > Even then, there is a long pause while the player switches sides - much

> longer than the layer switch on a DVD.
>
> ...but not long enough to get another beer without missing something!

---

Eric R.

"Joshua Zyber" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<2AOXb.6005$(E-Mail Removed) link.net>...
> "Scott in Aztlán" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > >
> > >Why?

> > Because LaserDiscs rot.

> So do DVDs. The chances of it on either format are less than 1%.

LD players "rot" too. Or, rather, they eventually just wear out. And
since no one is manufacturing them anymore or repairing them, it seems
pretty prudent to back your discs up to DVD (even if you don't mind
the side changes).

Of course, the ideal thing is to just replace your LD's when they come
out on DVD. But since George has decided not to release them, you
don't really have that option with Star Wars.

-Eric