Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > unpopular film recommendations?

unpopular film recommendations?

Fergalflann

Does any one have any recommendations for some unpopular , or cult films ?

Do give you an idea of my taste , most of it probably not weird by any means, I
have listed some below..

Trauman show
Donnie Darko
Twin Peaks
Willy Wonka
Flash Gordon ( def in my top 3 )
The Straight Story

Ironically seeing as cult is cool these days it seems anything out of fashion
is popular , when I bought most of these I couldn't find any in the shops and
now they're all over the place , esp Donnie Darko.

I heard Pleasantville was similiar to the Trauman show so I'm very tempted to
go for it next , but aside from that there doesn't seem to be too much out
there that catches my eye.

ferg

Black Locust

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Fergalflann) wrote:

> Does any one have any recommendations for some unpopular , or cult films ?

Give Ghost World, Lucky, Equilibrium and Suicide Club a try. Note:
Suicide Club is a Japanese film with English subtitles, but definitely
worth checking out. I think you'll really dig it.

--
BL

Meng

> Does any one have any recommendations for some unpopular , or cult films ?

Dark City.

Stan Brown

It seems "Fergalflann" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>Does any one have any recommendations for some unpopular , or cult films ?
>
>Do give you an idea of my taste , most of it probably not weird by any means, I
>have listed some below..
>
>Trauman show
>Donnie Darko
>Twin Peaks
>Willy Wonka
>Flash Gordon ( def in my top 3 )
>The Straight Story

Keep the River on Your Right _sounds_ like one you'd like.

Memento, I think, if you haven't seen it.

House of Yes

http://OakRoadSystems.com

Murder

(E-Mail Removed) (Fergalflann) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Does any one have any recommendations for some unpopular , or cult
> films ?
>
> Do give you an idea of my taste , most of it probably not weird by any
> means, I have listed some below..
>
> Trauman show
> Donnie Darko
> Twin Peaks
> Willy Wonka
> Flash Gordon ( def in my top 3 )
> The Straight Story

Dude, these are totally mainstream movies. I could list some real cult
movies, but they'd probably make your head explode. So I will just say-

Spider Baby

-and run for cover.

Vlvetmorning98

do they all have to be on DVD? if not...

Brewster McCloud

Once Were Warriors

Freddy Got Fingered

Electric Dreams

Vlvetmorning98

you might also like Jan Svankmajer's ALICE(1989)

Vlvetmorning98

>Dude, these are totally mainstream movies.

well, maybe not DONNIE DARKO. TWIN PEAKS: FIRE WALK WITH ME isn't mainstream at
all.

Thomas Bell

Fergalflann wrote:
> Does any one have any recommendations for some unpopular , or cult films ?

Here's a few picks off the top of my head, sorted by genre and
convieniently rated for offbeat wierdness (not how actually good the
movie is), 1 being almost normal going up to 5, being just about
guaranteed to make your head explode.....

Horror/Sci Fi:

Shadow of the Vampire (2)
The Devil's Backbone (2)
Lair of the White Worm (3)
Quills (2)
The Elephant Man (3)
Eraserhead (5+)
Company of Wolves (4)
Fiend Without a Face (3)
Robocop (3)
Begotten (5+)
The Hitcher (3)
American Psycho (4)
Dead Alive (5)
The (Night of, Dawn of, Day of)" the Living Dead" Trilogy (4)
The Evil Dead trilogy (5)
Any British "Hammer" horror movie, especially those made prior to 1968.
Anything by David Cronenberg, especially "Scanners," "Videodrome," "The
Fly," "Dead Ringers," "Naked Lunch" or "Crash." (mostly 4's and 5's)

Comedy:
Kentucky Fried Movie (2)
Amazon Women on the Moon (3)
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (3)
Cabin Boy (3)
Dr. Strangelove (2)
Pink Flamingos/Female Trouble 2-fer dvd (5)
Cheech and Chong - 1st 2 movies (2)
Meet the Feebles (5)
Repo Man (3)
This is Spinal Tap (2)
Rocky Horror Picture Show (4)
and of course, "Ed Wood!" (2)
Any Woody Allen movie up to "Manhatten"
Any Monty Python Movie - Jabberwocky, Holy Grail, Life of Brian and
Meaning of Life
Anything by the Coen brothers

Drama/Action:
Pink Floyd's The Wall (4)
Trainspotting (2)
Showgirls (3)
Street Trash (5+)
Taxi Driver (2)
All That Jazz (1)
Clockwork Orange (3)
The Man Who Fell To Earth (2)
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (3)
Blue Velvet (3)
Sid and Nancy (2)
Tommy (3)
Fellini Satyricon (4)
Brazil (4)
Caligula (5)
Any movie by Hitchcock, Tarantino, DePalma(ugh).

Enjoy!

T.B.

Nicholas Andrade

Fergalflann wrote:
> Does any one have any recommendations for some unpopular , or cult films ?
>
> Do give you an idea of my taste , most of it probably not weird by any means, I
> have listed some below..
>
> Trauman show
> Donnie Darko
> Twin Peaks
> Willy Wonka
> Flash Gordon ( def in my top 3 )
> The Straight Story
>
> Ironically seeing as cult is cool these days it seems anything out of fashion
> is popular , when I bought most of these I couldn't find any in the shops and
> now they're all over the place , esp Donnie Darko.
>
> I heard Pleasantville was similiar to the Trauman show so I'm very tempted to
> go for it next , but aside from that there doesn't seem to be too much out
> there that catches my eye.
>
> ferg

These are more action oriented, but way towards the top of my list:
Boondock Saints
Snatch (I'm surprised how many people never saw this)
Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (if you liked Snatch...)

Adios,
~Nick