Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Fantasia 60th Anniv. - available in Widescreen?

Fantasia 60th Anniv. - available in Widescreen?

Michael Rogers

There ought to be some sort of standardized mark on DVD's to indicate
that it's the original aspect ratio. Something like a filmstrip graphic
with "OAR" in the middle.

So that people wanting to have a movie as originaly shown can identify
it right away whether it's widescreen or (like in the case of Fantasia,
GWTW, Citizen Kane, Wizard Of Oz, Casablanca) the more TV shaped Academy
ratio.

Mike

Sugapablo wrote:

> I was looking to buy Disney's Fantasia 60th Anniversary DVD today, but
> could only find fullscreen versions online.
>
> Is there a Widescreen version out there? If so, who's selling them?
>
> --
> [ Sugapablo ]
> [ http://www.sugapablo.com <--music ]
> [ http://www.sugapablo.net <--personal ]
> [ http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <--jabber IM ]

Biz

The OAR of Fantasia is around 1.33 or 1.37 called "academy ratio". Except
for a few exceptions, every movie made b4 around 1953 when THe Robe was
released was not widescreen...
"Sugapablo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
> I was looking to buy Disney's Fantasia 60th Anniversary DVD today, but
> could only find fullscreen versions online.
>
> Is there a Widescreen version out there? If so, who's selling them?
>
> --
> [ Sugapablo ]
> [ http://www.sugapablo.com <--music ]
> [ http://www.sugapablo.net <--personal ]
> [ (E-Mail Removed) <--jabber IM ]

Scot Gardner

"jayembee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lithurge <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >From my rather poor memory I believe the first 'widescreen'
> >film wasn't made until the early 50's, so Fantasia which was
> >made in the 40's is in the correct aspect ratio.

> To be specific, the first widescreen film was THE ROBE, released in
> October 1953. To be more accurate, it was the film that began the use
> of widescreen as a common format. There had been occasional widescreen
> films going back to the 20s.
>
> -- jayembee

Here's one of the earliest: _The Big Trail_ (1930)

"Only three years after Able Gance's "Napoleon," was released in the
revolutionary Spherical (1:33:1) and Triptych (4:00:1 aspect ratio)
process, Raoul Walsh's "The Big Trail" hit the market, shot in
then-experimental "Fox Grandeur 70 mm." "

"That alone makes "The Big Trail" a technically significant film. Word
has it that it failed economically, in part due to only two U.S.
theatres presenting its original format (NYC's Roxy and LA's Grauman's
Chinese Theatres). The rest of the country's movie houses balked at the
cost of the extra equipment necessary, after having recently converted
to sound. (Does this seem reminiscent of the "'Star Wars' digital
satellite controversy" of 2002?)"

"Finding a VHS or DVD widescreen print of "The Big Trail" is difficult.
It's been shown on tv and in special movie houses that way on occasion.
Generally, though, one gets a standard screen version, which fails to
capture the eye-popping 70 mm. aspect ratio of the original."

http://us.imdb.com/CommentsShow?0020691

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0020691/maindetails

The Internet Database shows the specifications of this antique talkie:

Aspect ratio
1.37 : 1 (35 mm version)
2.10 : 1 (70 mm version)

Laboratory
Karl Malkames for MOMA (restoration)

Film length (metres)
3448.35 m (13-14 reels) (35 mm version)
4328.16 m (13-14 reels) (70 mm version)

Film negative format (mm/video inches)
35 mm (alternate regular version)
70 mm (nitrate)

Cinematographic process
Grandeur (70 mm version)
Spherical (35 mm version)

Printed film format
35 mm (anamorphic) (reduction from 70 mm version)
35 mm (restored)
35 mm
70 mm

I was under the impression that widescreen movies didn't come into being
until the 50s.

http://us.imdb.com/Technical?0020691

On Sunday, May 26, 2002 5:00 PM , Fox Movie Channel (FMC) played the
1930 John Wayne movie _The Big Trail_. I was surprised to see that the
movie was a widescreen presentation, with black bars on the top and the
bottom of the picture.

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself.

Doonie

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 23:15:16 GMT, jayembee wrote:

>Lithurge wrote:
>
>>From my rather poor memory I believe the first 'widescreen'
>>film wasn't made until the early 50's, so Fantasia which was
>>made in the 40's is in the correct aspect ratio.

>To be specific, the first widescreen film was THE ROBE, released in
>October 1953. To be more accurate, it was the film that began the use
>of widescreen as a common format. There had been occasional widescreen
>films going back to the 20s.

I thought The Robe was only the first Cinemascope film.

Charles Eggen

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 19:53:24 -0000, Sugapablo
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I was looking to buy Disney's Fantasia 60th Anniversary DVD today, but
>could only find fullscreen versions online.
>
>Is there a Widescreen version out there? If so, who's selling them?

I think the confusion comes from the fact that the original 1940
Fantasia is in 1.33:1 format, whereas Fantasia 2000 is, except for the
Sorcerers Apprentice segment taken from the 1940 film, in 1.8:1
widescreen format (nominal).

Charles
nzvidedos.org

jayembee

Doonie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>jayembee wrote:
>
>>Lithurge wrote:
>>
>>>From my rather poor memory I believe the first 'widescreen'
>>>film wasn't made until the early 50's, so Fantasia which was
>>>made in the 40's is in the correct aspect ratio.

>>To be specific, the first widescreen film was THE ROBE, released in
>>October 1953. To be more accurate, it was the film that began the use
>>of widescreen as a common format. There had been occasional widescreen
>>films going back to the 20s.

> I thought The Robe was only the first Cinemascope film.

Well, it was the first CinemaScope film, but it was also the advent of
widescreen filming as a common practice.

-- jayembee

Invid Fan

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Charles Eggen
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 19:53:24 -0000, Sugapablo
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >I was looking to buy Disney's Fantasia 60th Anniversary DVD today, but
> >could only find fullscreen versions online.
> >
> >Is there a Widescreen version out there? If so, who's selling them?

> I think the confusion comes from the fact that the original 1940
> Fantasia is in 1.33:1 format, whereas Fantasia 2000 is, except for the
> Sorcerers Apprentice segment taken from the 1940 film, in 1.8:1
> widescreen format (nominal).

Fantasia 2000 was first shown in 1.33:1 on Imax screens, so that also
leads to confusiton. I assume that version was cut down from the
widescreen version?

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Ian S

"Invid Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:100220041823328112%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Charles Eggen
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 19:53:24 -0000, Sugapablo
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >I was looking to buy Disney's Fantasia 60th Anniversary DVD today, but
> > >could only find fullscreen versions online.
> > >
> > >Is there a Widescreen version out there? If so, who's selling them?

> > I think the confusion comes from the fact that the original 1940
> > Fantasia is in 1.33:1 format, whereas Fantasia 2000 is, except for the
> > Sorcerers Apprentice segment taken from the 1940 film, in 1.8:1
> > widescreen format (nominal).
> >

> Fantasia 2000 was first shown in 1.33:1 on Imax screens, so that also
> leads to confusiton. I assume that version was cut down from the
> widescreen version?

Or vice versa?

Ian S

Wade365

I love how Derr-ick treats this news group like some sort of Masonic gathering
not to be shared with 'newbies'. Get out and get a little sunshine once in
awhile, you basement dweller.

"Who wants to tell them blah? Who wants to say woof?"

If you were half the know-it-all you pretend to be you'd just answer the
question instead of trying to belittle the inquirer... there was a time when
you didn't know it either, try to remember the Days of Derrek the Ignorant and
you'll have a few more friends at your funeral, you net-punk.

Beating up on others verbally doesn't remove all the beatings you must have