Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > PLAYMAKERS: Any good?

PLAYMAKERS: Any good?

alex crouvier

I'm a big fan of footbal movies as expose of American corruption, THE
PROGRAM & ANY GIVEN SUNDAY are lovely downers for me. I know I'm sick. There
is an announcement for Buena Vista's PLAYMAKERS. Since I am no longer in
States, I don't have time to catch all those wonderful R-rated TV
shows..How is this one?

kay

"alex crouvier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:4027b487$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm a big fan of footbal movies as expose of American corruption, THE
> PROGRAM & ANY GIVEN SUNDAY are lovely downers for me. I know I'm sick.

There
> is an announcement for Buena Vista's PLAYMAKERS. Since I am no longer in
> States, I don't have time to catch all those wonderful R-rated TV
> shows..How is this one?

It's watchable, but it just got cancelled.

Stan Brown

It seems "alex crouvier" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
>I'm a big fan of footbal movies as expose of American corruption, THE
>PROGRAM & ANY GIVEN SUNDAY are lovely downers for me. I know I'm sick. There
>is an announcement for Buena Vista's PLAYMAKERS. Since I am no longer in
>States, I don't have time to catch all those wonderful R-rated TV
>shows..How is this one?

I don't much care for football games, but I found the series
absorbing. The eye candy didn't hurt, of course, but there were
well-drawn characters and good stories, without the usual tie-it-up-
in-43-minutes endings.

I would put it right up there with /The Shield/.

(NB I'm talking about the TV series as broadcast. I have not seen
the DVDs.)

http://OakRoadSystems.com

Stan Brown

It seems "kay" wrote in alt.video.dvd:

>"alex crouvier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:4027b487$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm a big fan of footbal movies as expose of American corruption, THE
>> PROGRAM & ANY GIVEN SUNDAY are lovely downers for me. I know I'm sick.

>There
>> is an announcement for Buena Vista's PLAYMAKERS. Since I am no longer in
>> States, I don't have time to catch all those wonderful R-rated TV
>> shows..How is this one?

>It's watchable, but it just got cancelled.

Technically,. I think it wasn't cancelled, it just was not renewed
for a new season. Either way, rumor has it that the NFL put massive
pressure on ESPN because NFL couldn't accept a portrayal of some
football players as drug users or womanizers.

http://OakRoadSystems.com

Invid Fan

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Stan Brown
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> It seems "kay" wrote in alt.video.dvd:
> >
> >"alex crouvier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:4027b487$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I'm a big fan of footbal movies as expose of American corruption, THE
> >> PROGRAM & ANY GIVEN SUNDAY are lovely downers for me. I know I'm sick.

> >There
> >> is an announcement for Buena Vista's PLAYMAKERS. Since I am no longer in
> >> States, I don't have time to catch all those wonderful R-rated TV
> >> shows..How is this one?

> >It's watchable, but it just got cancelled.

> Technically,. I think it wasn't cancelled, it just was not renewed
> for a new season. Either way, rumor has it that the NFL put massive
> pressure on ESPN because NFL couldn't accept a portrayal of some
> football players as drug users or womanizers.

If a league has a choice of who to sell their product to, it's not good
to **** them off. Locally sports teams have sold the radio broadcast
rights for lower amounts to switch from a station who's talk show hosts
were going too far in their criticism. It's one thing to say a coach
should be fired, and quite another to insult them personally on a daily
basis

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Derek Janssen

Stan Brown wrote:

>>It's watchable, but it just got cancelled.

> Technically,. I think it wasn't cancelled, it just was not renewed
> for a new season. Either way, rumor has it that the NFL put massive
> pressure on ESPN because NFL couldn't accept a portrayal of some
> football players as drug users or womanizers.

No, it was.....cancelled:
The news had been trumpeting ESPN's big ratings/programming mistake with
the series for a while (sure, sports fans know this, but you just don't
*tell* them how corrupted their industry is to their face, let alone
wallow in it, and expect them to loyally tune in every week), and not to
mention, B) most fans didn't want to see ESPN fall victim to the siren
song of Original Programming like all the other networks had--

In viewers' eyes, here was one network that *didn't* need TNT Original
Movies, and they'd already lost more darn cable channels that way.

Derek Janssen

Goro

"alex crouvier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<4027b487$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> I'm a big fan of footbal movies as expose of American corruption, THE
> PROGRAM & ANY GIVEN SUNDAY are lovely downers for me. I know I'm sick. There
> is an announcement for Buena Vista's PLAYMAKERS. Since I am no longer in
> States, I don't have time to catch all those wonderful R-rated TV
> shows..How is this one?

I'm a big football fan. Watched a couple of eps of PLAYMAKERS and
really didn't care for it. I thought THE PROGRAM was ok and that ANY
GIVEN SUNDAY was unwatchable. I think if you liked those two movies,
you'll like PLAYMAKERS.