Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Excalibur - anyone heard anything?

Excalibur - anyone heard anything?

Phatty Boombatty

I love this flick, but the DVD sucks! Sorry if this has been discussed
here recently, if so I missed it... has anyone heard of this great
movie getting the treatment it deserves?

PB

Thomas Bell

Phatty Boombatty wrote:
> I love this flick, but the DVD sucks! Sorry if this has been discussed
> here recently, if so I missed it... has anyone heard of this great
> movie getting the treatment it deserves?

I agree. This is one movie along with "Greystoke - The Legend of Tarzan"
that really deserves special treatment on dvd.

TSKO

"Thomas Bell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Phatty Boombatty wrote:
> > I love this flick, but the DVD sucks! Sorry if this has been discussed
> > here recently, if so I missed it... has anyone heard of this great
> > movie getting the treatment it deserves?

> I agree. This is one movie along with "Greystoke - The Legend of Tarzan"
> that really deserves special treatment on dvd.

I think, just after looking over DigitalBits.com, that Greystoke SE is going
to be released later this yr.......but you may want to check that out...I
think I saw that title listed...

Stroke of Eight

>I love this flick, but the DVD sucks! Sorry if this has been discussed
>here recently, if so I missed it... has anyone heard of this great
>movie getting the treatment it deserves?

Amen. The ghastly DVD is a textbook example of how a poorly framed transfer can
totally muck up a film's visual impact. "Excalibur" begs for a proper upgrade.
On this DVD, nearly every one of the film's signature images is skewed
vertically, shuffled under the soft mattes. It's a travesty that ought righty
disgust serious film lovers, let alone fans of "Excalibur" and cinematographers
alike.

If 'Excalibur' ever gets a proper remaster job on DVD, I trust the dork at the
helm of the telecine will have the good grace to stay the **** awake during the
transfer process this time. That, or I'll just relent and make my own DVD from
my properly-matted laserdisc version -- the picture is a bit grainy, to be
sure, but it's exquisitely framed -- and THAT is more important to this
particular fan of the film.

....and don't get me STARTED on that execrable DVD cover, shat passionlessly out
of the Warner art department pipeline. Can't someone cough up the satisfactory
dough to license the original theatrical campaign?

profft

Don't you think one of the missed opportunities in the film was at the end,
when Purcevil obeyed and cast Excalibur and when it was caught and pulled
down, don't you think it should have been thrust up once more then back
down?

"Phatty Boombatty" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I love this flick, but the DVD sucks! Sorry if this has been discussed
> here recently, if so I missed it... has anyone heard of this great
> movie getting the treatment it deserves?
>
> PB

JONA99

The 5.1 mix on the DVD could also use some fixing. Starts out across the front
speakers, then pretty much center channel only for great stretches of time,
like the Sound Mixer fell asleep or something. Brilliant film though; one of
my favorites.

Rutgar

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 18:44:20 -0500, "profft" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Don't you think one of the missed opportunities in the film was at the end,
>when Purcevil obeyed and cast Excalibur and when it was caught and pulled
>down, don't you think it should have been thrust up once more then back
>down?

Er, no.

- Rutgar

profft

"Rutgar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 18:44:20 -0500, "profft" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >Don't you think one of the missed opportunities in the film was at the

end,
> >when Purcevil obeyed and cast Excalibur and when it was caught and pulled
> >down, don't you think it should have been thrust up once more then back
> >down?

> Er, no.
>
> - Rutgar

I do, to symbolically underscore Arthur's promice that one day a King would
come and sword will rise again

Shrivel

"profft" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> "Rutgar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 18:44:20 -0500, "profft" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Don't you think one of the missed opportunities in the film was at the

> end,
> > >when Purcevil obeyed and cast Excalibur and when it was caught and

pulled
> > >down, don't you think it should have been thrust up once more then back
> > >down?

> > Er, no.
> >
> > - Rutgar

> I do, to symbolically underscore Arthur's promice that one day a King

would
> come and sword will rise again

Oh, I was thinking the repeated thrusting might be some sort of continuation
of the sexual themes of the film...

Dogbert

"Shrivel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "profft" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >
> > "Rutgar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

the
> > end,

> pulled

back

> > > Er, no.
> > >
> > > - Rutgar

> > I do, to symbolically underscore Arthur's promice that one day a King

> would
> > come and sword will rise again

> Oh, I was thinking the repeated thrusting might be some sort of

continuation
> of the sexual themes of the film...

Or what they should have done to the people in charge of releasing the DVD.

EXCALIBUR REDUX!! HiDef.com DVD Video 0 11-11-2006 10:08 AM
Excalibur on HD DVD - WTF?!? TB DVD Video 0 10-12-2006 04:09 PM
HEXUS.reviews :: ASUS EAX1800XL 256MB & HIS Excalibur X1800 XL 256MB PCIe graphics... Silverstrand Front Page News 0 12-07-2005 03:35 AM
excalibur light kit - is this any good? AFN Digital Photography 5 12-09-2004 01:44 AM
step by step loading a design into flash with nios excalibur jaap de verwant slachter VHDL 0 07-01-2003 01:02 PM

Advertisments