Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > On my TV: 540p or 1080i

On my TV: 540p or 1080i

JFR

Hi,

My new Widescreen TV (Toshiba 51H83) lets me select if I want the
component source to be displayed in 540p or 1080i, but I don't know
which one is better for viewing DVDs. Because DVDs are standard
resolution, my initial impression was to choose 540p, but I don't know
if that's the best choice.

First off, my DVD player does not provide progressive output, so the
video signal (through component) will be interlaced. I imagine that the
TV performs the conversion from interlace to progressive internally if I
select the 540p mode. But I don't know whether the TV's own progressive
conversion is any good.

As for the TV's 1080 interlace mode, I don't know if it's supposed to
look better; does the TV simply display each line twice, or does it
perform some kind of interpolation? Maybe the 1080i source is only meant
for real HD sources?

I did a quick comparison between the 2 modes and couldn't tell the
difference by eye. Anyone know which I should choose? Or maybe someone
could suggest a movie/scene I should use to compare the 2 modes?

JF

Biz

"JFR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:c00pu9$2k6$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> My new Widescreen TV (Toshiba 51H83) lets me select if I want the
> component source to be displayed in 540p or 1080i, but I don't know
> which one is better for viewing DVDs. Because DVDs are standard
> resolution, my initial impression was to choose 540p, but I don't know
> if that's the best choice.
>
> First off, my DVD player does not provide progressive output, so the
> video signal (through component) will be interlaced. I imagine that the
> TV performs the conversion from interlace to progressive internally if I
> select the 540p mode. But I don't know whether the TV's own progressive
> conversion is any good.
>
> As for the TV's 1080 interlace mode, I don't know if it's supposed to
> look better; does the TV simply display each line twice, or does it
> perform some kind of interpolation? Maybe the 1080i source is only meant
> for real HD sources?
>
> I did a quick comparison between the 2 modes and couldn't tell the
> difference by eye. Anyone know which I should choose? Or maybe someone
> could suggest a movie/scene I should use to compare the 2 modes?
>
> JF

Bottom line, if you can't tell the difference it does not matter one bit
does it?