Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > ED WOOD: Limited Distribution?

ED WOOD: Limited Distribution?

Scot Gardner

"Rare"?

"Hard to find"?

"Pulled from shelves"?

"Not available in stores"?

I'm beginning to wonder just how "rare" and "hard to find" the recently
"un-released" _Ed Wood_ actually is.

Currently, there are over 300 of these recalled DVDs for sale on eBay.
The 7 pages of _Ed Wood_ DVDs start with the those that have the
shortest time remaining. It appears that the highest bids are
around $60-$70. (One just sold for $68 at 8:20AM and another one
sold for $60.00 at 8:25AM.

Has anyone on this newsgroup purchased an _Ed Wood_ DVD on eBay?

If so, what was the price?

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ecordstoskip=0

BP

"Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:20040206112922.493$(E-Mail Removed):

> "Rare"?
>
> "Hard to find"?
>
> "Pulled from shelves"?
>
> "Not available in stores"?
>
> I'm beginning to wonder just how "rare" and "hard to find" the
> recently "un-released" _Ed Wood_ actually is.
>
> Currently, there are over 300 of these recalled DVDs for sale on eBay.
> The 7 pages of _Ed Wood_ DVDs start with the those that have the
> shortest time remaining. It appears that the highest bids are
> around $60-$70. (One just sold for $68 at 8:20AM and another one
> sold for $60.00 at 8:25AM.
>
> Has anyone on this newsgroup purchased an _Ed Wood_ DVD on eBay?
>
> If so, what was the price?
>
> http://search.ebay.com/search/search...8&ht=1&satitle
> =ed+wood+%2b+dvd&sokeywordredirect=1&sosortpropert y=1&sorecordstoskip=0

Yikes! I think I'll wait.. (till the twelth of never?)

Rutgar

On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 08:30:22 -0800, "Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Rare"?
>
>"Hard to find"?
>
>"Pulled from shelves"?
>
>"Not available in stores"?
>
>I'm beginning to wonder just how "rare" and "hard to find" the recently
>"un-released" _Ed Wood_ actually is.
>
>Currently, there are over 300 of these recalled DVDs for sale on eBay.
>The 7 pages of _Ed Wood_ DVDs start with the those that have the
>shortest time remaining. It appears that the highest bids are
>around $60-$70. (One just sold for $68 at 8:20AM and another one
>sold for $60.00 at 8:25AM.
>
>Has anyone on this newsgroup purchased an _Ed Wood_ DVD on eBay?
>
>If so, what was the price?
>
>http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ecordstoskip=0

I have one word for anyone who buys this movie at an inflated price:

SUCKER!

- Rutgar

zebradog

Yes, I'll admit it. I bought one on ebay for $50.00 Post paid and I'm glad I
did. I went to All the Borders, Blockbusters and other misc video stores
during the last week that I could think of and came up empty handed.

The last time this movie was 'postponed' as in the SUMMER OF 2002!!! Now
it's 'postpned' again. It could be released in 1 month, 6 months, 2 YEARS.
I want to see the God Damned movie on DVD!! I want to here the commentary
and see the deleted scenes and all the other extras.

IF it's EVER released, it may be in a modified form from this release, so
for all of you that care, this could be a special issue. For those of you
who think I'm a sucker, you would probably be satisfied watching a made for
TV edited and reformated version. I'm NOT and I'm tied of waiting.

My $50 was WELL SPENT and I had a VERY ENTERTAINING Friday watching it.
Isn't that what it's about?

Zebradog

"Rutgar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 08:30:22 -0800, "Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
> >"Rare"?
> >
> >"Hard to find"?
> >
> >"Pulled from shelves"?
> >
> >"Not available in stores"?
> >
> >I'm beginning to wonder just how "rare" and "hard to find" the recently
> >"un-released" _Ed Wood_ actually is.
> >
> >Currently, there are over 300 of these recalled DVDs for sale on eBay.
> >The 7 pages of _Ed Wood_ DVDs start with the those that have the
> >shortest time remaining. It appears that the highest bids are
> >around $60-$70. (One just sold for $68 at 8:20AM and another one
> >sold for $60.00 at 8:25AM.
> >
> >Has anyone on this newsgroup purchased an _Ed Wood_ DVD on eBay?
> >
> >If so, what was the price?
> >

>http://search.ebay.com/search/search...=1&satitle=ed+

wood+%2b+dvd&sokeywordredirect=1&sosortproperty=1& sorecordstoskip=0

> I have one word for anyone who buys this movie at an inflated price:
>
> SUCKER!
>
> - Rutgar

Scot Gardner

"zebradog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:E7zVb.3059$(E-Mail Removed) ...

[...]

Actually, what with driving around and burning up gas, not to mention
parking fees, you probably paid less than most people who were finally
able to find _Ed Wood_ in a store.

I paid 29.99 plus $2.47 sales tax, for a total of $32.46. You only paid
$17.54 more than I did and I still think you got a hell of a bargain.
And you're right -- Disney may never "release" _Ed Wood_ again.

I don't regret for a minute paying retail for this classic. I have
enjoyed watching the movie, then the movie with the informative
commentary, the 6 deleted scenes*** (I know, there are only 5 in the
menu -- see note below) and now, I'm going to watch the movie all over
again.

*** See my post:

ED WOOD: Easter Egg & Possible Reason for Recall.

Dated Sunday, February 08, 2004 3:04 PM

for directions on how to access the 6th deleted scene. It's a good one!

This 6th scene adds 1m 50s to the other 7m 49s for a total of 9m 39s.
That's like getting 8% more _Ed Wood_ for free! The 127 minute movie now
becomes a 137 minute movie, which at $50 come out to only 36.5˘ per
minute. Now that's a real value!

Rutgar

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 15:28:37 -0800, "Scot Gardner" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"zebradog" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:E7zVb.3059$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>
><<Yes, I'll admit it. I bought one on ebay for $50.00 Post paid and I'm
>glad I did. I went to All the Borders, Blockbusters and other misc
>video stores during the last week that I could think of and came up
>empty handed.>>
>
><<The last time this movie was 'postponed' as in the SUMMER OF 2002!!!
>Now it's 'postpned' again. It could be released in 1 month, 6 months, 2
>YEARS. I want to see the God Damned movie on DVD!! I want to here the
>commentary and see the deleted scenes and all the other extras.>>
>
><<IF it's EVER released, it may be in a modified form from this release,
>so for all of you that care, this could be a special issue. For those
>of you who think I'm a sucker, you would probably be satisfied watching
>a made for TV edited and reformated version. I'm NOT and I'm tied of
>waiting.>>
>
><<My $50 was WELL SPENT and I had a VERY ENTERTAINING Friday watching
>it. Isn't that what it's about? Zebradog>>
>

>Actually, what with driving around and burning up gas, not to mention
>parking fees, you probably paid less than most people who were finally
>able to find _Ed Wood_ in a store.
>
>I paid 29.99 plus $2.47 sales tax, for a total of $32.46. You only paid
>$17.54 more than I did and I still think you got a hell of a bargain.
>And you're right -- Disney may never "release" _Ed Wood_ again.
>
>I don't regret for a minute paying retail for this classic. I have
>enjoyed watching the movie, then the movie with the informative
>commentary, the 6 deleted scenes*** (I know, there are only 5 in the
>menu -- see note below) and now, I'm going to watch the movie all over
>again.
>
>*** See my post:
>
>ED WOOD: Easter Egg & Possible Reason for Recall.
>
>Dated Sunday, February 08, 2004 3:04 PM
>
>for directions on how to access the 6th deleted scene. It's a good one!
>
>This 6th scene adds 1m 50s to the other 7m 49s for a total of 9m 39s.
>That's like getting 8% more _Ed Wood_ for free! The 127 minute movie now
>becomes a 137 minute movie, which at $50 come out to only 36.5˘ per
>minute. Now that's a real value!

The real amazing thing is that all of you people don't know you're
being had.

- Rutgar

Bill

> IF it's EVER released, it may be in a modified form from this release, so
> for all of you that care, this could be a special issue. For those of you
> who think I'm a sucker, you would probably be satisfied watching a made

for
> TV edited and reformated version. I'm NOT and I'm tied of waiting.
>
> My $50 was WELL SPENT and I had a VERY ENTERTAINING Friday watching it.
> Isn't that what it's about?
>
> Zebradog

I spent $40.00, around 1982, for a horrible looking fullscreen copy of Star
Wars, on the now-deceased RCA CED videodisc format. No extras, ticks/pops in
audio abounded, and as the stylus tracked towards the center of the disc,
horizontal wavering of the onscreen image was more and more apparent. In
spite of the above, the price was actually a bargain at the time--Beta/VHS
copies were selling for closer to $79.95.

You just spent $50.00 for a broadcast quality copy of an excellent
movie--and a collectible copy at that. It may be above retail, but I still
think you got a decent deal.

Rutgar

On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 00:42:08 GMT, "Bill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> IF it's EVER released, it may be in a modified form from this release, so
>> for all of you that care, this could be a special issue. For those of you
>> who think I'm a sucker, you would probably be satisfied watching a made

>for
>> TV edited and reformated version. I'm NOT and I'm tied of waiting.
>>
>> My $50 was WELL SPENT and I had a VERY ENTERTAINING Friday watching it.
>> Isn't that what it's about?
>>
>> Zebradog
>>

>I spent $40.00, around 1982, for a horrible looking fullscreen copy of Star
>Wars, on the now-deceased RCA CED videodisc format. No extras, ticks/pops in
>audio abounded, and as the stylus tracked towards the center of the disc,
>horizontal wavering of the onscreen image was more and more apparent. In
>spite of the above, the price was actually a bargain at the time--Beta/VHS
>copies were selling for closer to $79.95.
>
>You just spent $50.00 for a broadcast quality copy of an excellent
>movie--and a collectible copy at that. It may be above retail, but I still
>think you got a decent deal.

It's not decent deal if you can buy it a month later for under $20.00.
Moreover, Ed Wood is NOT Star Wars.

- Rutgar

Richard C.

:
: The real amazing thing is that all of you people don't know you're
: being had.
:
: - Rutgar

==================
Jealous because you didn't get one?

Rutgar

On Sun, 8 Feb 2004 17:40:50 -0800, "Richard C."
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Rutgar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>:
>: The real amazing thing is that all of you people don't know you're
>: being had.
>:
>: - Rutgar
>
>==================
>Jealous because you didn't get one?

No. It's just that I think it's funny that there's this "Cabbage
Patch/Tickle Me Elmo" hysteria about this DVD. It reminds me of a
couple of years ago that people were acting the same way about the
first "Scarface" DVD. They were paying big bucks on E-Bay for copies.
And now with the new Special Edition available, those same people are
stuck with worthless, DVD's that have a horrible video transfer. Ed
Wood will eventually be officially released, and at a decent price.
Maybe as soon as April.

- Rutgar