Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Lost In Translation R1 DVD disappointment: Forced Ads

Reply
Thread Tools

Lost In Translation R1 DVD disappointment: Forced Ads

 
 
Michael
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-04-2004
From a DVDtalk review:

"EXTRAS: Let me also note here that one must sit through nearly six minutes
of forced advertisements before the main menu starts. Although I've not
noted this in other recent reviews of Universal titles, this practice is
getting annoying and 6 minutes worth of ads is ridiculous (one can't go to
the menu, only fast forward)."

Nice going Universal, you just lost yourselves a sale. I'll wait for
another region to do it properly. As much as I'd love to see this movie as
soon as possible on DVD, I won't pay to watch your ****ing SPAM!


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Brockhurst Pertwee
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-04-2004
Six minutes in real time, yes. When the trailers come up there is an
easy to read sentence on the screen: You may fast-forward to the menu".
I fast-forwarded to the menu - it took eight seconds. I'm sure
Universal is quaking in its boots over your lost sale.

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Fritz Waller
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-04-2004

"Brockhurst Pertwee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Six minutes in real time, yes. When the trailers come up there is an
> easy to read sentence on the screen: You may fast-forward to the menu".
> I fast-forwarded to the menu - it took eight seconds. I'm sure
> Universal is quaking in its boots over your lost sale.



6 minutes of video FF in 8 seconds? Your player turbo charged?


 
Reply With Quote
 
Dave
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-04-2004

"Michael" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40204662$0$28869$(E-Mail Removed) u...
> From a DVDtalk review:
>
> "EXTRAS: Let me also note here that one must sit through nearly six

minutes
> of forced advertisements before the main menu starts. Although I've not
> noted this in other recent reviews of Universal titles, this practice is
> getting annoying and 6 minutes worth of ads is ridiculous (one can't go to
> the menu, only fast forward)."
>
> Nice going Universal, you just lost yourselves a sale. I'll wait for
> another region to do it properly. As much as I'd love to see this movie

as
> soon as possible on DVD, I won't pay to watch your ****ing SPAM!
>
>


before the adds start, hit your stop button. Then, hit the dvd menu button.
This will bypass the comm in most dvd players. I do this all the time with
my other Uni_we don't give a **** about the consumer_versal discs.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-04-2004
I'm quite sure you've missed the point, but by all means keep bending over
and bleating, 'it's not really that uncomfortable'; Universal will be happy
to oblige.

"Brockhurst Pertwee" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Six minutes in real time, yes. When the trailers come up there is an
> easy to read sentence on the screen: You may fast-forward to the menu".
> I fast-forwarded to the menu - it took eight seconds. I'm sure
> Universal is quaking in its boots over your lost sale.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Je▀us
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-04-2004
In news: 40204662$0$28869$(E-Mail Removed), someone let
Michael <(E-Mail Removed)> loose on on a computer... and the
unfortunate result was:

: Nice going Universal, you just lost yourselves a sale. I'll wait for
: another region to do it properly. As much as I'd love to see this
: movie as soon as possible on DVD, I won't pay to watch your ****ing
: SPAM!

Agreed, its completely unacceptable. I wont knowingly purchase any such
discs, that's for sure.

--
Je▀us


 
Reply With Quote
 
mzmeryze
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-04-2004
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 11:09:54 +1000, "Michael"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>From a DVDtalk review:
>
>"EXTRAS: Let me also note here that one must sit through nearly six minutes
>of forced advertisements before the main menu starts. Although I've not
>noted this in other recent reviews of Universal titles, this practice is
>getting annoying and 6 minutes worth of ads is ridiculous (one can't go to
>the menu, only fast forward)."
>
>Nice going Universal, you just lost yourselves a sale. I'll wait for
>another region to do it properly. As much as I'd love to see this movie as
>soon as possible on DVD, I won't pay to watch your ****ing SPAM!
>


Boy... what agony. Fast forwarding through some ads. I must go kill
myself now. Give me a break. Some people cry about the stupidest
things. Get over it.

 
Reply With Quote
 
mzmeryze
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-04-2004
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 13:58:57 +1000, "Michael"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm quite sure you've missed the point, but by all means keep bending over
>and bleating, 'it's not really that uncomfortable'; Universal will be happy
>to oblige.
>


A top posting cry baby, to boot.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Michael
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-04-2004
But of course when you're crying over something really significant, like how
I post, it's okay.
Get over yourself, hypocrite.

"mzmeryze" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Boy... what agony. Fast forwarding through some ads. I must go kill
> myself now. Give me a break. Some people cry about the stupidest
> things. Get over it.
>
> A top posting cry baby, to boot.



 
Reply With Quote
 
mzmeryze
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      02-04-2004
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 17:28:55 +1000, "Michael"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>But of course when you're crying over something really significant, like how
>I post, it's okay.
>Get over yourself, hypocrite.
>


I could give a **** how you post, it just added more to your
annoyance, is all. Go cry a river, you big baby.

Michael: "WAAAHHH! I'm never going to buy another DVD ever again!"
Someone else: "Why? Did it somehow slice your hand as you put it in
your DVD player?"
Michael: "WAAAAH! No." <sniff>
Someone else: "Did it cause a huge fire in your kitchen?"
Michael: "Uh.. no." <blowing nose>
Someone else: "Then what? Tell me!"
Michael: "It makes me fast forward through commercials before I can
watch my movie."
Someon else: "****, I thought maybe a DVD killed your parents or
something."

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TheDigitalReview: LOST IN TRANSLATION - DVD REVIEW Mike McGee DVD Video 0 02-13-2004 12:44 AM
Forced video AND forced audio from Universal Invalid Address DVD Video 32 01-18-2004 05:29 PM
Universal's response to "forced ads" Invalid Address DVD Video 40 12-30-2003 09:20 PM
American Wedding - Forced ads - Universal's Solution (ACK) Peter DVD Video 1 12-17-2003 02:49 PM
New Releases: Kill Bill, Lost In Translation; Updated complete downloadable R1 DVD DB & info lists Doug MacLean DVD Video 0 11-20-2003 05:04 AM



Advertisments