Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Disney DVD's

Disney DVD's

Dave Navarro

If you have a DVD burner in your computer, I highly recommend that you
make a copy of your disney DVD, rather than play the original.

I do it for two reasons. First, my nephew has destroyed three original
DVD's that I couldn't recover. One of which was an older Disney movie
that's no longer selling (Disney replaced the scratched DVD for $15,
including shipping). I backup all my childrens movies now and let the
kids use the backups. Second, if you "re-author" the DVD, you can
remove those damn commercials.

The downside to backing up DVD's is that the quality is lower (which is
why I don't bother with the movies that *I* watch and don't let anyone
else touch). But the kids don't notice and I'm not buying the same
movie more than once.

More than worth the cost of a DVD burner when you have young children in
the house.

--Dave

ps. I use DVD-Shrink for most stuff. I use Nero Recode to re-author
the Disney movies to get rid of the commercials.

As I mentioned above, if you're a "videophile" and quality is important
then don't bother copying the stuff you usually watch. DVD media is
"single-layer" which means that it holds half as much data as most good
quality movie DVDs, so there is quality loss when you make a copy.

Dual layer media is available and works in a few drives but the cost of
the media and the trouble creating DVD's that work isn't worth the
effort.

I took all of "my" movies and put them in a custom locked cabinet (with
a combination lock). Not even my wife has the combination <grin>.
Nobody touches them but me.

LASERandDVDfan

One of the greatest uses of optical disc recorders is being able to make
backups of your originals for the sole purpose of protecting your investment.
- Reinhart

DVD Verdict reviews: KISS OF DEATH (1947), DISNEY SING ALONG SONGS: DISNEYLAND FUN AND BEACH PARTY AT WALT DISNEY WORLD, and more! DVD Verdict DVD Video 1 02-16-2006 03:35 PM
Trip to Disney mickey HTML 0 11-28-2004 07:48 PM
Sony DSC-F828 at Disney Concert Hall Birk Binnard Digital Photography 0 04-10-2004 12:57 AM
Disney does digital photos Tony Rice Digital Photography 4 12-15-2003 03:00 AM
Disney censors old cartoons for DVD Gerry DVD Video 15 07-07-2003 09:43 AM

Advertisments