Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox cannot sort large bookmarks file

Firefox cannot sort large bookmarks file

Renan

Hello,

I have a bookmarks file with ~1600 entries (been accumulating for a few
years, and only delete stuff when it is 404).
But, Firefox seems to hang while sorting the bookmark file
alphabetically.

Any hints (or any other external programs to sort bookmarks?)
--
[]s, Renan "Wishmaster" - Canoas, RS, Brasil

Leonidas Jones

Renan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a bookmarks file with ~1600 entries (been accumulating for a few
> years, and only delete stuff when it is 404).
> But, Firefox seems to hang while sorting the bookmark file
> alphabetically.
>
> Any hints (or any other external programs to sort bookmarks?)

I don't know enough about your situation, but my first suggestion would
be to sort your bookmarks into folders by topic, then sort the contents
of the folders.

1600 bookmarks!!

As an aside, in the very early days of Mozilla development, way pre
suite 1.0, there was a lively discussion about whether bookmarks should
be included in the new browser at all! A number of developers felt that
the progress of search engines was making bookmarks obsolete.

I probably have 300 hundred or so, but many I have stopped checking. In
many cases, it is faster to Google. I'm glad they left bookmarks in, but
I can see the point.

Lee

gwtc

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> Renan wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I have a bookmarks file with ~1600 entries (been accumulating for a few
>>years, and only delete stuff when it is 404).
>>But, Firefox seems to hang while sorting the bookmark file
>>alphabetically.
>>
>>Any hints (or any other external programs to sort bookmarks?)

> I don't know enough about your situation, but my first suggestion would
> be to sort your bookmarks into folders by topic, then sort the contents
> of the folders.
>
> 1600 bookmarks!!
>
> As an aside, in the very early days of Mozilla development, way pre
> suite 1.0, there was a lively discussion about whether bookmarks should
> be included in the new browser at all! A number of developers felt that
> the progress of search engines was making bookmarks obsolete.
>
> I probably have 300 hundred or so, but many I have stopped checking. In
> many cases, it is faster to Google. I'm glad they left bookmarks in, but
> I can see the point.
>
> Lee

in my main bookmark file I have over 3,000 of them. In Moz 1.7.12, it
gives me the option of opening other bookmark files. If I add all
them together I would have over 5,000 of them. Thats why I broke them
down.

I sure hope SM gives me that option to be able to open other bookmark
files. FF doesn't. Thats why I don't use it.

Oh yea, if you're wondering how to do it, its from the Bookmark
Manager, and Tools, Open Bookmark File.

Leonidas Jones

gwtc wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> Renan wrote:

/snip/

> in my main bookmark file I have over 3,000 of them. In Moz 1.7.12, it
> gives me the option of opening other bookmark files. If I add all them
> together I would have over 5,000 of them. Thats why I broke them down.
>
> I sure hope SM gives me that option to be able to open other bookmark
> files. FF doesn't. Thats why I don't use it.
>
> Oh yea, if you're wondering how to do it, its from the Bookmark Manager,
> and Tools, Open Bookmark File.

I have good news then, its still in SeaMonkey 1.0B, and will be in the
release!

Lee

gwtc

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> gwtc wrote:
>
>>Leonidas Jones wrote:
>>

>>>Renan wrote:
>>>

> /snip/
>

>>in my main bookmark file I have over 3,000 of them. In Moz 1.7.12, it
>>gives me the option of opening other bookmark files. If I add all them
>>together I would have over 5,000 of them. Thats why I broke them down.
>>
>>I sure hope SM gives me that option to be able to open other bookmark
>>files. FF doesn't. Thats why I don't use it.
>>
>>Oh yea, if you're wondering how to do it, its from the Bookmark Manager,
>>and Tools, Open Bookmark File.

> I have good news then, its still in SeaMonkey 1.0B, and will be in the
> release!
>
> Lee

Good, then I'll be waiting in anticipation for the Final Release.

Leonidas Jones

gwtc wrote:
> Leonidas Jones wrote:
>
>> gwtc wrote:

>> /snip/
>>

>>> in my main bookmark file I have over 3,000 of them. In Moz 1.7.12,
>>> it gives me the option of opening other bookmark files. If I add all
>>> them together I would have over 5,000 of them. Thats why I broke
>>> them down.
>>>
>>> I sure hope SM gives me that option to be able to open other bookmark
>>> files. FF doesn't. Thats why I don't use it.
>>>
>>> Oh yea, if you're wondering how to do it, its from the Bookmark
>>> Manager, and Tools, Open Bookmark File.

>> I have good news then, its still in SeaMonkey 1.0B, and will be in the
>> release!
>>
>> Lee

> Good, then I'll be waiting in anticipation for the Final Release.

Should be sometime in January.

Lee

gwtc

Leonidas Jones wrote:

> gwtc wrote:

>>>/snip/

>>>I have good news then, its still in SeaMonkey 1.0B, and will be in the
>>>release!
>>>
>>>Lee

>>Good, then I'll be waiting in anticipation for the Final Release.

> Should be sometime in January.
>
> Lee

sounds exciting

Renan

At date Thu, 29 Dec 2005 04:50:53 GMT, Leonidas Jones ((E-Mail Removed))
wrote in article <NWJsf.201924$qk4.167226@bgtnsc05-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, for newsgroup alt.fan.mozilla:

> I don't know enough about your situation, but my first suggestion would
> be to sort your bookmarks into folders by topic, then sort the contents
> of the folders.
>
> 1600 bookmarks!!

Would take too much time. And I have bookmarks that don't fit anywhere.

> I probably have 300 hundred or so, but many I have stopped checking. In
> many cases, it is faster to Google. I'm glad they left bookmarks in, but
> I can see the point.

I don't think so. For me, is faster to go to a bookmark than search the
web.
--
Thanks, Renan(tm) - Canoas, RS, Brazil.

"This is the Heisenberg operating system:
you are logged in and logged off at the same time.

Moz Champion (Dan)

Renan wrote:

>At date Thu, 29 Dec 2005 04:50:53 GMT, Leonidas Jones ((E-Mail Removed))
>wrote in article <NWJsf.201924$qk4.167226@bgtnsc05-
>news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, for newsgroup alt.fan.mozilla:
>

>>I don't know enough about your situation, but my first suggestion would
>>be to sort your bookmarks into folders by topic, then sort the contents
>> of the folders.
>>
>>1600 bookmarks!!
>>

>Would take too much time. And I have bookmarks that don't fit anywhere.
>

>>I probably have 300 hundred or so, but many I have stopped checking. In
>>many cases, it is faster to Google. I'm glad they left bookmarks in, but
>>I can see the point.
>>

>I don't think so. For me, is faster to go to a bookmark than search the
>web.

?? Cant figure this out

from your original post
"But, Firefox seems to hang while sorting the bookmark file
alphabetically. "

from the above post
"For me, is faster to go to a bookmark than search the web."

If your bookmarks are unsorted, and NOT in folders then just finding the
bookmark in the list of 1600 would take longer than using a search
engine, so what exactly are you gaining?

Renan

At date Fri, 30 Dec 2005 03:46:47 GMT, Moz Champion (Dan)
((E-Mail Removed)) wrote in article <H42tf.377667$zb5.94701
@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, for newsgroup alt.fan.mozilla:

> from your original post
> "But, Firefox seems to hang while sorting the bookmark file
> alphabetically. "
>
> from the above post
> "For me, is faster to go to a bookmark than search the web."
>
> If your bookmarks are unsorted, and NOT in folders then just finding the
> bookmark in the list of 1600 would take longer than using a search
> engine, so what exactly are you gaining?

I search within the bookmarks.