Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > OT - Cable for coaxial digital sound - use any RCA?

OT - Cable for coaxial digital sound - use any RCA?

Dan Musicant

I know this is a little OT here, but I'm sure many would be equally
curious. Is there any difference in the quality of sound I can expect by
using different cables for my digital coaxial sound from my DVD player
to my AV receiver?

My particular components are:

Kenwood VR6070 AV receiver
Momitsu DVD-V880 DVD player.

Thanks for any explanations.

BTW, I'm currently using one channel of a two channel 12 foot RCA cable,
obviously meant for analog audio. It's pretty thick stuff, although it
was cheap at a computer show.

TCS

On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 16:33:57 GMT, Dan Musicant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I know this is a little OT here, but I'm sure many would be equally
>curious. Is there any difference in the quality of sound I can expect by
>using different cables for my digital coaxial sound from my DVD player
>to my AV receiver?

Use any RCA cable in good physical condition. The cheapest cables included
free with a VCR or CD player will work perfectly.

Joshua Zyber

"Dan Musicant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I know this is a little OT here, but I'm sure many would be equally
> curious. Is there any difference in the quality of sound I can expect

by
> using different cables for my digital coaxial sound from my DVD player
> to my AV receiver?

You should use an RCA 'video' cable (the yellow one), not the red &
white audio cables. The video cable has a 75 ohm impedance. The red &
white are inferior.

Other than the name on the packaging, there is no difference between a
"coaxial digital cable" and a "composite video cable". Any 75 ohm RCA
cable is as good as another.

Monte Castleman

>You should use an RCA 'video' cable (the yellow one), not the red &
>white audio cables. The video cable has a 75 ohm impedance. The red &
>white are inferior.
>
>Other than the name on the packaging, there is no difference between a
>"coaxial digital cable" and a "composite video cable". Any 75 ohm RCA
>cable is as good as another.

What you can get by with depends on the length. For very short lengths
you can use any old cable that fits, just like you can use audio cables
for very short lengths of video. Anything more than a few feet, you
should use cable of the proper impedance, ie "audio" cable for analog
audio, "video" cable for video and digital audio.

My own favorite cables are the Radio Shack premium ones with the gold
and brass? connectors, not because I think they sound or look any better
than the cheapies you get with your DVD, but because they don't break as
easy, and once you put them on they ain't going to loosen.

--
Monte Castleman, <<Spamfilter in Use>>
Bloomington, MN to email, remove the "q" from my address