Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Customs Cost

Customs Cost

Dragon

I am interested in buying a box set for 28 from DVD pacific but does anyone
know roughly how much customs would want for duties on the 28 pound.
Loaded247 have the box set for 48 and I don't pay duties as I got two of
the same boxsets from the last year with no duty charges, so would it be
worth me getting it from DVD Pacific and paying the extra duties or get it
from loaded and don't pay any duties

advise please and thanks in advance

cheers Dave

CW

"Dragon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9t9Sb.4538$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am interested in buying a box set for 28 from DVD pacific but does

anyone
> know roughly how much customs would want for duties on the 28 pound.
> Loaded247 have the box set for 48 and I don't pay duties as I got two of
> the same boxsets from the last year with no duty charges, so would it be
> worth me getting it from DVD Pacific and paying the extra duties or get it
> from loaded and don't pay any duties
>
> advise please and thanks in advance
>
> cheers Dave

3.5% Import Duty
17.5% VAT
4 admin fee

So for 28 it would be around 10 in charges

Ian S

"CW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:KzcSb.893$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Dragon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:9t9Sb.4538$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I am interested in buying a box set for 28 from DVD pacific but does

> anyone
> > know roughly how much customs would want for duties on the 28 pound.
> > Loaded247 have the box set for 48 and I don't pay duties as I got two

of
> > the same boxsets from the last year with no duty charges, so would it be
> > worth me getting it from DVD Pacific and paying the extra duties or get

it
> > from loaded and don't pay any duties
> >
> > advise please and thanks in advance
> >
> > cheers Dave
> >

> 3.5% Import Duty
> 17.5% VAT
> 4 admin fee

Not necessarily. Customs don't nomally bother if the value is under (IIRC)
35. The customs charge is actually much lower than you state. I have just
been charged slightly over 10 for $80 (~60-70) worth of DVDs.

Ian S

ZC TGS

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 11:33:03 -0000, "Ian S"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Not necessarily. Customs don't nomally bother if the value is under (IIRC)
>35. The customs charge is actually much lower than you state. I have just
>been charged slightly over 10 for $80 (~60-70) worth of DVDs.

Not quite true.

I've imported Region 1 boxsets cost over 30 each and have been
slapped with the tax.

Lithurge

"Ian S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:401a3fea$(E-Mail Removed):

> "CW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:KzcSb.893$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Dragon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> message
>> news:9t9Sb.4538$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I am interested in buying a box set for 28 from DVD
>> > pacific but does

>> anyone
>> > know roughly how much customs would want for duties on
>> > the 28 pound. Loaded247 have the box set for 48 and I
>> > don't pay duties as I got two

> of
>> > the same boxsets from the last year with no duty
>> > charges, so would it be worth me getting it from DVD
>> > Pacific and paying the extra duties or get

> it
>> > from loaded and don't pay any duties
>> >
>> > advise please and thanks in advance
>> >
>> > cheers Dave
>> >

>> 3.5% Import Duty
>> 17.5% VAT
>> 4 admin fee
>>

> Not necessarily. Customs don't nomally bother if the value
> is under (IIRC) 35. The customs charge is actually much
> lower than you state. I have just been charged slightly
> over 10 for $80 (~60-70) worth of DVDs.
>
> Ian S

UK customs for 'commercial' deliveries will charge on orders
above 18. If it's a gift the limit before a charge is made is
35.

$80 is not 60-70 at the current exchange rate it's more like
43, and around 10 sounds about right for that.

John Howells

"Ian S" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:401a3fea$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "CW" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:KzcSb.893$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "Dragon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:9t9Sb.4538$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > I am interested in buying a box set for 28 from DVD pacific but does

> > anyone
> > > know roughly how much customs would want for duties on the 28 pound.
> > > Loaded247 have the box set for 48 and I don't pay duties as I got two

> of
> > > the same boxsets from the last year with no duty charges, so would it

be
> > > worth me getting it from DVD Pacific and paying the extra duties or

get
> it
> > > from loaded and don't pay any duties
> > >
> > > advise please and thanks in advance
> > >
> > > cheers Dave
> > >

> > 3.5% Import Duty
> > 17.5% VAT
> > 4 admin fee
> >

> Not necessarily. Customs don't nomally bother if the value is under

(IIRC)
> 35.

No. Anything over the 18 is liable to be charged if the package is not a
gift. About a year ago I was charged for a package with 19 of DVDs.

> The customs charge is actually much lower than you state. I have just
> been charged slightly over 10 for $80 (~60-70) worth of DVDs.

Apart from the Duty, which will not be charged (don't ask me why - it just
is not!) the figures quoted were correct, so $80 is 45.41 at the USA
exchange rate of 1.7618 used by HMCE during January (when was the exchange
rate last 1.15 to 1.33?). On that the VAT at 17.5% gives 7.94, to which is
added 4.00 for the P.O. fee, giving 11.94 in total. So just how much more
than 10 were you charged?

John Howells