Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Repeated loss of Internet access

Repeated loss of Internet access

Jeff

I connect to the internet through a 3 PC home wireless Network which
connects to a WPA protected router and then a cable modem. Recently I've had
an annoying problem on this one PC:

The network is always OK in that I can see and access the other computers
with no problem or interruption. However, on this XP SP2 laptop, I
intermittently lose the ability to get to the internet. The wireless
network has no problems from this laptop, but sometimes, after I have
successfully connected to the internet (via the network), it no longer can
find servers on the internet even though the "Wireless Network Connection"
icon shows it to be connected. I can usually re-establish internet access
by "viewing available wireless networks", disconnecting from the network
(even though it shows it to be connected) and reconnecting again. This
leaves me connected for a while and then I lose the internet again.

Very annoying. What faulty setting should I be looking at?

Thanks

Jeff

=?Utf-8?B?ZGlyZ2U=?=

are you connecting through a "Internet Gateway"?
specifically 'Linux on IGD' \because i am having the same problem.

when i take my laptop out and connect to other networks it's fine
but through the network in my house i am having troubles.

how can i disconnect this gateway ?
it all started when i set up the wireless network between the computers in
windows - for filesharing. no problems were had when using the lynksys
routers.

how to disonnect the network, the gateway anything...
please help.
i've tried a milion things to no avail.

"Jeff" wrote:

> I connect to the internet through a 3 PC home wireless Network which
> connects to a WPA protected router and then a cable modem. Recently I've had
> an annoying problem on this one PC:
>
> The network is always OK in that I can see and access the other computers
> with no problem or interruption. However, on this XP SP2 laptop, I
> intermittently lose the ability to get to the internet. The wireless
> network has no problems from this laptop, but sometimes, after I have
> successfully connected to the internet (via the network), it no longer can
> find servers on the internet even though the "Wireless Network Connection"
> icon shows it to be connected. I can usually re-establish internet access
> by "viewing available wireless networks", disconnecting from the network
> (even though it shows it to be connected) and reconnecting again. This
> leaves me connected for a while and then I lose the internet again.
>
> Very annoying. What faulty setting should I be looking at?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeff

Jeff

I am in Windows XP, not Linux. Awhile back I tried Linux and it would not
even recognize my adapters.

So this is entirely in Windows and worked fine till recently. I can't advise
you because I too have tried everything and do not know why I am now having
these problems.

Jeff

dirge wrote:
> are you connecting through a "Internet Gateway"?
> specifically 'Linux on IGD' \because i am having the same problem.
>
> when i take my laptop out and connect to other networks it's fine
> but through the network in my house i am having troubles.
>
> how can i disconnect this gateway ?
> it all started when i set up the wireless network between the
> computers in windows - for filesharing. no problems were had when
> using the lynksys routers.
>
> how to disonnect the network, the gateway anything...
> please help.
> i've tried a milion things to no avail.
>
> "Jeff" wrote:
>
>> I connect to the internet through a 3 PC home wireless Network which
>> connects to a WPA protected router and then a cable modem. Recently
>> I've had an annoying problem on this one PC:
>>
>> The network is always OK in that I can see and access the other
>> computers with no problem or interruption. However, on this XP SP2
>> laptop, I intermittently lose the ability to get to the internet.
>> The wireless network has no problems from this laptop, but
>> sometimes, after I have successfully connected to the internet (via
>> the network), it no longer can find servers on the internet even
>> though the "Wireless Network Connection" icon shows it to be
>> connected. I can usually re-establish internet access by "viewing
>> available wireless networks", disconnecting from the network (even
>> though it shows it to be connected) and reconnecting again. This
>> leaves me connected for a while and then I lose the internet again.
>>
>> Very annoying. What faulty setting should I be looking at?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jeff

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbHlCb2I=?=

Dirge and Jeff,

Your problems sound exactly like what I have been experiencing as described
a few posts back in "One computer out of four on network VERY slow" on
December 27. The connection will be OK for a few minutes, but the ability to
pull up web pages will be quickly lost ON ONE LAPTOP COMPUTER ONLY. The
other laptops and desktop work fine with excellent Internet connectivity.
The troublesome notebook will connect to his own home network or to any
unsecured networks and/ or WiFi hotspots with no problems of all. But to my
network, even with the correct WPA encryption code, he can indeed connect,
and can pull up web pages, but only for a few minutes. Though the connection
signal strength and throughput remains strong (or at least the on-screen
indicators claim that it is strong), after just a few minutes download speed
will drop to lower than dial-up. Not nonexistent, but just extremely slow.
So far, it's a great mystery. Occasionally, we get an on-screen message that
there is little or no connectivity and that Internet access might be poor.
We get this message despite an indicator of 54 Mbps with maximum signal
strength.

=?Utf-8?B?RGluZy1hLWxpbmdtYW4=?=

I have had an almost identical problem with my wireless network since
installing a Westell 327W. The connection was constantly up and down even
though the Westell showed my connection to be good. With the help of tech
support from my BellSouth FastAccess ISP, I just got it resolved today. They
had me change my WEP key in the Westell from a 128 bit to a 64 bit key (10
characters), and of course I had to change the WEP keys in my laptops to
match. They say they often find Windows gets bogged down trying to encrypt
at the 128 bit rate that it just gives up and quits. The symptoms sound
almost identical to those you list in your postings, so if you have 128 bit
WEP keys, you might want to try it. My connection has not gone down even one
time since the change. And as a note, my old router only had lower bit rate
encryption, and I never had this problem with it.

"Jeff" wrote:

> I connect to the internet through a 3 PC home wireless Network which
> connects to a WPA protected router and then a cable modem. Recently I've had
> an annoying problem on this one PC:
>
> The network is always OK in that I can see and access the other computers
> with no problem or interruption. However, on this XP SP2 laptop, I
> intermittently lose the ability to get to the internet. The wireless
> network has no problems from this laptop, but sometimes, after I have
> successfully connected to the internet (via the network), it no longer can
> find servers on the internet even though the "Wireless Network Connection"
> icon shows it to be connected. I can usually re-establish internet access
> by "viewing available wireless networks", disconnecting from the network
> (even though it shows it to be connected) and reconnecting again. This
> leaves me connected for a while and then I lose the internet again.
>
> Very annoying. What faulty setting should I be looking at?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeff

Jeff

Dear BillyBob.

That is an exact description of my problem. I could not have described it
better. It is identical.

Were you able to solve the problem? How?

Jeff

BillyBob wrote:
> Dirge and Jeff,
>
> Your problems sound exactly like what I have been experiencing as
> described a few posts back in "One computer out of four on network
> VERY slow" on December 27. The connection will be OK for a few
> minutes, but the ability to pull up web pages will be quickly lost ON
> ONE LAPTOP COMPUTER ONLY. The other laptops and desktop work fine
> with excellent Internet connectivity. The troublesome notebook will
> connect to his own home network or to any unsecured networks and/ or
> WiFi hotspots with no problems of all. But to my network, even with
> the correct WPA encryption code, he can indeed connect, and can pull
> up web pages, but only for a few minutes. Though the connection
> signal strength and throughput remains strong (or at least the
> on-screen indicators claim that it is strong), after just a few
> minutes download speed will drop to lower than dial-up. Not
> nonexistent, but just extremely slow. So far, it's a great mystery.
> Occasionally, we get an on-screen message that there is little or no
> connectivity and that Internet access might be poor. We get this
> message despite an indicator of 54 Mbps with maximum signal strength.

Jeff

Yes but going from 128 bit WEP key to a 64 bit one is really reducing the
security and that is not good.

I use WPA, not WEP, because it is more secure. But everything worked fine
until a couple of weeks ago. Windows should be able to handle that. What you
say makes me wonder if it is some other software update that is taking up
more of the available ram and therefore messing things up. I do not
remember adding new software into memory but will check for that. Maybe my
virus checker database has gotten bigger or the new firefox 1.5 is taking up
more ram than the earlier 1.0.x. Don't know.

I wish one of the experts would help us poor newbies.

Jeff

Ding-a-lingman wrote:
> I have had an almost identical problem with my wireless network since
> installing a Westell 327W. The connection was constantly up and down
> even though the Westell showed my connection to be good. With the
> help of tech support from my BellSouth FastAccess ISP, I just got it
> resolved today. They had me change my WEP key in the Westell from a
> 128 bit to a 64 bit key (10 characters), and of course I had to
> change the WEP keys in my laptops to match. They say they often find
> Windows gets bogged down trying to encrypt at the 128 bit rate that
> it just gives up and quits. The symptoms sound almost identical to
> those you list in your postings, so if you have 128 bit WEP keys, you
> might want to try it. My connection has not gone down even one time
> since the change. And as a note, my old router only had lower bit
> rate encryption, and I never had this problem with it.
>
> "Jeff" wrote:
>
>> I connect to the internet through a 3 PC home wireless Network which
>> connects to a WPA protected router and then a cable modem. Recently
>> I've had an annoying problem on this one PC:
>>
>> The network is always OK in that I can see and access the other
>> computers with no problem or interruption. However, on this XP SP2
>> laptop, I intermittently lose the ability to get to the internet.
>> The wireless network has no problems from this laptop, but
>> sometimes, after I have successfully connected to the internet (via
>> the network), it no longer can find servers on the internet even
>> though the "Wireless Network Connection" icon shows it to be
>> connected. I can usually re-establish internet access by "viewing
>> available wireless networks", disconnecting from the network (even
>> though it shows it to be connected) and reconnecting again. This
>> leaves me connected for a while and then I lose the internet again.
>>
>> Very annoying. What faulty setting should I be looking at?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Jeff

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbHlCb2I=?=

I can't try reducing the encryption, because my son-in-law has gone back
home with his laptop. But that is an interesting idea that coming down to 64
bit will solve the problem. But I agree that is not acceptable, though I
would try it if he was still here with his computer. Can you briefly try it
Jeff, or Dirge? The strange thing about this cure to me is that it is
referring to the Westell modem from BellSouth? That is the same one I have
(Westell anyway, not sure about model number -- whichever one they are
sending out now to customers), recently installed brand new. I did not even
know that this device had any kind of encryption. If the computer was still
here, I would also try BellSouth customer service, as I have had very
excellent results in the past with them solving connection problems.

But even if I was in a position to try this and it was a solution to the
problem, it still remains a very strange problem. Because the connection
worked fine with the old beat up laptop that our daughter brought with her,
and works fine with my laptop that I am writing this response on now.
Everything works fine with my desktop. It's only my son-in-law's newer IBM
laptop that will briefly bring up a web page or two, and then start bogging
down. But I would give it a try if he was still here. No need to call him
and telling him to try it, because his laptop works just fine at his home and
on everybody else's networks.

Jeff, though we apparently have the same problem exactly, I have no
solutions whatsoever. If you try something and it works, such as lowering
the encryption values, please let me know. Though at the moment, it sounds
like you and the rest of us are waiting for some very knowledgeable computer
person to tell us what the trick is. To tell us what kind of setting or
problem exists on the one computer that will connect strongly and load web
pages for a minute or two and then become unusable. But only on one network,
while continuing to work just fine on all the other networks. And while
multiple other computers work just fine on the network that his won't bring
up web pages on.

"Jeff" wrote:

> Yes but going from 128 bit WEP key to a 64 bit one is really reducing the
> security and that is not good.
>
> I use WPA, not WEP, because it is more secure. But everything worked fine
> until a couple of weeks ago. Windows should be able to handle that. What you
> say makes me wonder if it is some other software update that is taking up
> more of the available ram and therefore messing things up. I do not
> remember adding new software into memory but will check for that. Maybe my
> virus checker database has gotten bigger or the new firefox 1.5 is taking up
> more ram than the earlier 1.0.x. Don't know.
>
> I wish one of the experts would help us poor newbies.
>
> Jeff

DC

Y'all,
I had similar problems. Repeated loss of access, even though the wireless
NIC still had a valid IP, and everything else looked normal.
The network would go away every 2-3 hours. Repeatedly.
This morning I cranked down the WEP from 128 bit to 64 bit, and the network
hasn't gone down all day. (10 hours so far).
??

The PC in question has a AMD Sempron 3000, plenty of horsepower. Like
BillyBob, my 7 year old desktop (300Mhz) with a different wireless NIC,
never had a hiccup. This PC is the replacement, and I couldn't get it to
stay on the network.

Equipment:
TRENDnet TEW-423PI wireless NIC 54gbps 802.11g PCI card
Buffalo Airstation WLAR-L11-L (this is 802.11b only)
WinXP SP2
brand new install

For now I am sticking with 64bit WEP. I will consider including MAC
restrictions, though I know that isn't foolproof either.

Thanks for the tip.

-D

"BillyBob" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> [...]
> bring
> up web pages on.
>

> "Jeff" wrote:
>
>> Yes but going from 128 bit WEP key to a 64 bit one is really reducing the
>> security and that is not good.
>>
>> I use WPA, not WEP, because it is more secure. But everything worked fine
>> until a couple of weeks ago. Windows should be able to handle that. What
>> you
>> say makes me wonder if it is some other software update that is taking up
>> more of the available ram and therefore messing things up. I do not
>> remember adding new software into memory but will check for that. Maybe
>> my
>> virus checker database has gotten bigger or the new firefox 1.5 is taking
>> up
>> more ram than the earlier 1.0.x. Don't know.
>>
>> I wish one of the experts would help us poor newbies.

DC

this was a lie.

The 64-bit WEP thing did not change the problem.
I'm gonna try the other nic.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...