Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > LOTR Two Towers special edition

LOTR Two Towers special edition

Stephen Rogerson

Is anyone having problems getting the commentaries to work - am I
doing something wrong?

Dogger the Filmgoblin

Stephen Rogerson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> Is anyone having problems getting the commentaries to work - am I
> doing something wrong?

If you can't be bothered to type out a description of what you are
actually doing and what happened as a result, don't be surprised when
nobody bothers to answer you.

Stephen Rogerson

On 30 Jan 2004 00:26:30 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (Dogger the
Filmgoblin) wrote:

>Stephen Rogerson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>> Is anyone having problems getting the commentaries to work - am I
>> doing something wrong?

>If you can't be bothered to type out a description of what you are
>actually doing and what happened as a result, don't be surprised when
>nobody bothers to answer you.

OK,here goes. I am selecting the directors commentary from the special
features menu. I get text on the screen describing who's talking, but
the soundtrack is normal, i.e., no audible commentary. All my other
discs, including the Fellowship special edition, work OK. I've swapped
the discs at the dealers, but still have the same problem

Dogger the Filmgoblin

Stephen Rogerson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> On 30 Jan 2004 00:26:30 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Dogger the
> Filmgoblin) wrote:
>
> >Stephen Rogerson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> >> Is anyone having problems getting the commentaries to work - am I
> >> doing something wrong?

> >If you can't be bothered to type out a description of what you are
> >actually doing and what happened as a result, don't be surprised when
> >nobody bothers to answer you.

> OK,here goes. I am selecting the directors commentary from the special
> features menu. I get text on the screen describing who's talking, but
> the soundtrack is normal, i.e., no audible commentary. All my other
> discs, including the Fellowship special edition, work OK. I've swapped
> the discs at the dealers, but still have the same problem

You're doing it right. Clearly the commentary has been selected if the
names come up. Can't explain why it isn't audible. Mine works fine on
a very cheap player. Does this happen only for the directors
commentary or for every commentary? Do any other tracks work
incorrectly (like the foreign language tracks)? Do any alternate
tracks on any of your other DVDs not work properly?

Doubt it will make a difference, but you could try just playing the
movie normally, and then accessing the commentary by the 'backdoor',
as in press the 'audio' or 'language' button on your DVD remote to
cycle through the available soundtracks. On my player, this cycling
via the remote is only enabled if I go directly to 'Play' after
popping in the disc, without selecting any sound options via the menus
first.

HTH.

DB.

Stephen Rogerson

On 31 Jan 2004 03:12:52 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Dogger the
Filmgoblin) wrote:

>Stephen Rogerson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
>> On 30 Jan 2004 00:26:30 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Dogger the
>> Filmgoblin) wrote:

>> >If you can't be bothered to type out a description of what you are
>> >actually doing and what happened as a result, don't be surprised when
>> >nobody bothers to answer you.

>> OK,here goes. I am selecting the directors commentary from the special
>> features menu. I get text on the screen describing who's talking, but
>> the soundtrack is normal, i.e., no audible commentary. All my other
>> discs, including the Fellowship special edition, work OK. I've swapped
>> the discs at the dealers, but still have the same problem

>You're doing it right. Clearly the commentary has been selected if the
>names come up. Can't explain why it isn't audible. Mine works fine on
>a very cheap player. Does this happen only for the directors
>commentary or for every commentary? Do any other tracks work
>incorrectly (like the foreign language tracks)? Do any alternate
>tracks on any of your other DVDs not work properly?
>
>Doubt it will make a difference, but you could try just playing the
>movie normally, and then accessing the commentary by the 'backdoor',
>as in press the 'audio' or 'language' button on your DVD remote to
>cycle through the available soundtracks. On my player, this cycling
>via the remote is only enabled if I go directly to 'Play' after
>popping in the disc, without selecting any sound options via the menus
>first.
>
>HTH.
>
>DB.

Thanks for the reply, the funny thing is, the commentary works fine if
I play it on my PC. In answer to your question, none of the
commentaries work, and I have tried all the things you have suggested.
By the way, I have a Samsung dvd player.

Dogger the Filmgoblin

Stephen Rogerson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> On 31 Jan 2004 03:12:52 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) (Dogger the
> Filmgoblin) wrote:
>
> >Stephen Rogerson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..

> >> OK,here goes. I am selecting the directors commentary from the special
> >> features menu. I get text on the screen describing who's talking, but
> >> the soundtrack is normal, i.e., no audible commentary. All my other
> >> discs, including the Fellowship special edition, work OK. I've swapped
> >> the discs at the dealers, but still have the same problem

> >You're doing it right. Clearly the commentary has been selected if the
> >names come up. Can't explain why it isn't audible. Mine works fine on
> >a very cheap player. Does this happen only for the directors
> >commentary or for every commentary? Do any other tracks work
> >incorrectly (like the foreign language tracks)? Do any alternate
> >tracks on any of your other DVDs not work properly?
> >
> >Doubt it will make a difference, but you could try just playing the
> >movie normally, and then accessing the commentary by the 'backdoor',
> >as in press the 'audio' or 'language' button on your DVD remote to
> >cycle through the available soundtracks. On my player, this cycling
> >via the remote is only enabled if I go directly to 'Play' after
> >popping in the disc, without selecting any sound options via the menus
> >first.
> >
> >HTH.
> >
> >DB.

> Thanks for the reply, the funny thing is, the commentary works fine if
> I play it on my PC. In answer to your question, none of the
> commentaries work, and I have tried all the things you have suggested.
> By the way, I have a Samsung dvd player.

The fact that you have swapped your discs once already AND they work
on your PC, pretty much clinches that what you have is an
incompatibility problem between your Samsung and the soundtrack on
your Two Towers (which may well have been manufactured or encoded
differently than the Fellowship). I guess one could say you're lucky
it only affects the commentaries, but probably one day it will affect
something else ... like an alternate Dolby Surround 2.0 track on some
other DVD. Since most DVDs have their primary track as a 5.1 Dolby
Digital, like TTT, you may not ever have a problem actually watching a
movie. If you have 'non-scratched DVDs inexplicably skipping' problems
as well I wouldn't be surprised.

DB.

thorndike

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
(E-Mail Removed) says...

> Thanks for the reply, the funny thing is, the commentary works fine if
> I play it on my PC. In answer to your question, none of the
> commentaries work, and I have tried all the things you have suggested.
> By the way, I have a Samsung dvd player.

You might want to check your audio setup. Its possible that the
commentaries were put on the center channel and your DVD/audio is
setup for 5:1, but your system only has 2 channels. Good Luck.

Thorndike

Dogger the Filmgoblin

thorndike <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed) ganews.com>...
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> >
> > Thanks for the reply, the funny thing is, the commentary works fine if
> > I play it on my PC. In answer to your question, none of the
> > commentaries work, and I have tried all the things you have suggested.
> > By the way, I have a Samsung dvd player.
> >

> You might want to check your audio setup. Its possible that the
> commentaries were put on the center channel and your DVD/audio is
> setup for 5:1, but your system only has 2 channels. Good Luck.
>
> Thorndike

An interesting theory. But I believe that all the commentaries are 2-channel.

DB.