Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless WMI connection

Wireless WMI connection

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbA==?=

Hello all,

I'm a network administrator at a secondary school, and I have a bit of an
odd question for you all. All of the students at this school have laptops
which they have leased from the school. Our security structure is fairly
sophistacated, but one of the major problems we are having right now revolves
around the wireless network. I know I can disable access to the Wireless
Zero Configuration icon in the taskbar through group policies, but I would
still like to allow students to associate to the single approved SSID through
which we allow them to connect. I was hoping to use VBS/WMI, and then
compile the application into an exe. However, I'm not much of a programmer.
I've found a few VBS scripts that scan for available SSIDs, but I can't for
the life of me figure out what WMI to use to associate to an access point.

The network is an open wireless network with no wireless encryption, and the
SSID is tsunami. I hope that helps out.

Thanks,
Bill

Pavel A.

WMI can not be used directly to associate to an access point as you describe.
If the laptops are Centrino based, contact the vendor and ask them
how to use Centrino wireless software (PROset etc.) to achieve your goal.
--PA