Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Futurama Vol. 3 DVD Specs, 3/9/04

Futurama Vol. 3 DVD Specs, 3/9/04

Mark Allen Adams, Jr.

>> I can't vouch personally, but a mate o' mine with a deregioned DVD player
>> tells me that discs aren't PAL/NTSC specific.

> I think that he probably has a nice DVD player (like mine) that does the
> conversion on the fly.

actually, it's just a $30 cheapo that he hacked

--
mark allen adams, jr.
usenet (at) mark (hyphen) adams (dot) com

Matthew Miller

Mark Allen Adams, Jr. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> I can't vouch personally, but a mate o' mine with a deregioned DVD player
>>> tells me that discs aren't PAL/NTSC specific.

>> I think that he probably has a nice DVD player (like mine) that does the
>> conversion on the fly.

> actually, it's just a $30 cheapo that he hacked

Well, by "nice" I don't mean "really expensive".

--
Matthew Miller http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <http://www.mattdm.org/>
Boston University Linux ------> <http://linux.bu.edu/>

Bart Van Hemelen

Mark Allen Adams, Jr. said the following (about "Re: Futurama Vol. 3
DVD Specs, 3/9/04" in alt.tv.futurama on Tue, 03 Feb 2004 00:46:12
GMT):

>>> Other than region encoding, is there any difference
>>> between this DVD release and the one they already got
>>> in the UK?

>> I assume the UK version is PAL.

>I can't vouch personally, but a mate o' mine with a deregioned DVD player
>tells me that discs aren't PAL/NTSC specific.

Your mate is wrong.

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvd

Technical Info for DVD-Video

PAL

Video:
Up to 9.8 Mbit/sec MPEG2 or up to 1.856 MBit/sec MPEG1 video
720 x 576 pixels MPEG2
704 x 576 pixels MPEG2
352 x 576 pixels MPEG2 (Same as the CVD Standard)
352 x 288 pixels MPEG2
352 x 288 pixels MPEG1 (Same as the VCD Standard)
25 fps (frames/second)

Audio:
48000 Hz
32 - 1536 kbit/sec
Up to 8 audio tracks containing Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM(uncompressed
audio), MPEG-1 Layer2. One audio track must have MPEG-1, DD or PCM
Audio.

Extras:
Menus, still pictures, subtitles and more.

For more technical DVD-Video details read the DVDDemystified DVD FAQ
section 3.4 or the mpeg.org DVD Technical Notes.

NTSC (NTSC Film)

Video:
Up to 9.8 Mbit/sec MPEG2 or up to 1.856 MBit/sec MPEG1 video
720 x 480 pixels MPEG2
704 x 480 pixels MPEG2
352 x 480 pixels MPEG2 (Same as the CVD Standard)
352 x 240 pixels MPEG2
352 x 240 pixels MPEG1 (Same as the VCD Standard)
29,97 fps (frames/second)
23,976 fps with 3:2 pulldown = 29,97 playback fps (NTSC Film, this is
only supported by MPEG2 video)

Audio:
48000 Hz
32 - 1536 kbit/sec
Up to 8 audio tracks containing DD (Dolby Digital/AC3), DTS,
PCM(uncompressed audio), MPEG-1 Layer2. One audio track must have DD
or PCM Audio.

Extras:
Menus, still pictures, subtitles and more.

For more technical DVD-Video details read the DVDDemystified DVD FAQ
section 3.4 or the mpeg.org DVD Technical Notes.

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.4
http://www.mpeg.org/MPEG/DVD/

Bart Van Hemelen
lots of useful links (downloading from usenet, ...) in this file:
http://users.pandora.be/bvh2000/useful.txt