Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Ed Wood Cover

Ed Wood Cover

Murder

Digital Bits has an update about the last minute jerk-off (for lack of a
more appropriate term) of the much anticipated title, and apparantly some
copies once again found their way to the back rooms of certain retailers,
who will be expected to return them. However, there is little doubt that
some will leak out to ebay, as happened last time the release was pulled.

After looking at the cover on Amazon, I have to wonder if they didn't think
better of releasing it with that cover. It really looks weak; a cover only
a fan could tolerate. An official explaination of the delay is pending.

http://www.digitalbits.com/#eddelay

--
"Music soothes the savage beast, they say, but no matter how loud I sang
that horse would not stop brutally raping me."

Geir Friestad

Murder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

| After looking at the cover on Amazon, I have to wonder if they didn't think
| better of releasing it with that cover. It really looks weak; a cover only
| a fan could tolerate.

I don't really see what's so bad about that cover design. It's basically
the UK poster art with pictures of three of the cast members added at
the bottom. It's exactly the same as the cover on the UK DVD of the
film, by the way.

--
Geir Friestad || http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) || www.portman.org
"My readers are intelligent: I don't write for stupid people."

Murder

Geir Friestad <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Murder <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>|
>| After looking at the cover on Amazon, I have to wonder if they didn't
>| think better of releasing it with that cover. It really looks weak;
>| a cover only a fan could tolerate.
>
> I don't really see what's so bad about that cover design. It's
> basically the UK poster art with pictures of three of the cast members
> added at the bottom. It's exactly the same as the cover on the UK DVD
> of the film, by the way.

Oh, well maybe it isn't the cover, then. But it just deosn't grab me.
Someone who was unfamiliar with the movie would think "Hm. A movie about
a woman who hands a guy a pink fuzzy thing... Pass!" It should exhibit
more sensational shlock movie elements- flying saucers, Tor and Vampira
staggering through the graveyard, Bela in his cape, etcetera. From a
marketing standpoint, this cover just seems like a loser; which is the
opposite of what they need with this movie's history. Even the original
VHS cover would be better.

--
"Our galaxy is tens of trillions of miles across, and surrounding it are
countless galaxies of comparable size. All the cosmos that we have mapped

SDamien3

>Geir Friestad <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>Oh, well maybe it isn't the cover, then. But it just deosn't grab me.
>Someone who was unfamiliar with the movie would think "Hm. A movie about
>a woman who hands a guy a pink fuzzy thing... Pass!" It should exhibit
>more sensational shlock movie elements- flying saucers, Tor and Vampira
>staggering through the graveyard, Bela in his cape, etcetera. From a
>marketing standpoint, this cover just seems like a loser; which is the
>opposite of what they need with this movie's history.

Well put!

>Even the original
>VHS cover would be better.

The original one-sheet art would be even better. I've never heard a
satisfactory explation as to why Toushtone ditched the classy theatrical
campaign in favor of the grade-D video art.

P.S. - Picked up two copies of the recalled 'Ed Wood" DVD today at FYE in
Philadelphia (30th Street Station); they had plenty more, as they've apparently
not yet received instructions to yank from their inventory.

"The Han Solo I grew up with would never have let Greedo get the jump on him."

Murder

(E-Mail Removed)pamfart (SDamien3) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>Geir Friestad <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>>Oh, well maybe it isn't the cover, then. But it just deosn't grab me.
>> Someone who was unfamiliar with the movie would think "Hm. A movie
>>about a woman who hands a guy a pink fuzzy thing... Pass!" It should
>>exhibit more sensational shlock movie elements- flying saucers, Tor
>>and Vampira staggering through the graveyard, Bela in his cape,
>>etcetera. From a marketing standpoint, this cover just seems like a
>>loser; which is the opposite of what they need with this movie's
>>history.

> Well put!

It's just not at al what I pictured.

>>Even the original
>>VHS cover would be better.

> The original one-sheet art would be even better. I've never heard a
> satisfactory explation as to why Toushtone ditched the classy
> theatrical campaign in favor of the grade-D video art.

I don't think I've ever seen the original art.

> P.S. - Picked up two copies of the recalled 'Ed Wood" DVD today at FYE
> in Philadelphia (30th Street Station); they had plenty more, as
> they've apparently not yet received instructions to yank from their
> inventory.

Ngh! Man, I hope I can get that lucky. I think the stores should all
tell Touchstone (or whomever) to jag off: "We've pulled it once, we
aren't going to do it again." I swear, someone should be flayed alive
for this!

--
"Music soothes the savage beast, they say, but no matter how loud I sang
that horse would not stop brutally raping me."

SDamien3

>>>Even the original
>>>VHS cover would be better.

>> The original one-sheet art would be even better. I've never heard a
>> satisfactory explation as to why Toushtone ditched the classy
>> theatrical campaign in favor of the grade-D video art.
>>

>I don't think I've ever seen the original art.

check it out: scroll down to the fourth one-sheet:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109707/posters
"The Han Solo I grew up with would never have let Greedo get the jump on him."

Murder

(E-Mail Removed)pamfart (SDamien3) wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>>> The original one-sheet art would be even better. I've never heard a
>>> satisfactory explation as to why Toushtone ditched the classy
>>> theatrical campaign in favor of the grade-D video art.
>>>

>>I don't think I've ever seen the original art.

> check it out: scroll down to the fourth one-sheet:
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109707/posters

Ah. I was wrong- I have seen it. That would be much better.