Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Problem with WinXP and Linksys BEFW1154

Problem with WinXP and Linksys BEFW1154

Richard M. Hartman

I can not get the security options to work, and I don't really want an open
network. Can somebody tell me what security options both WinXP and the
BEFSW1154 can agree upon?

-Richard M. Hartman

186,000 mi/sec: not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

Lem

"Richard M. Hartman" wrote:

> I can not get the security options to work, and I don't really want an open
> network. Can somebody tell me what security options both WinXP and the
> BEFSW1154 can agree upon?
>
> -Richard M. Hartman
> (E-Mail Removed)
>
> 186,000 mi/sec: not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

With SP2, Win XP can use WPA2. If you have been installing all of the MS
patches/hotfixes as they come out, you probably already have it. If not,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893357/en-us

As for your Linksys router, I assume that's an "S" not a "5" as the next to the
last character. But there are many versions of the BEFW11S4 (I counted 6 on
the Linksys documentation site, not including the 2 FrenchCanadian versions).
Check your documentation (RTFM). And if the documentation for your particular
model doesn't show that you have WPA2, check the documentation for the latest
firmware -- Linksys may well have added this feature after you bought your
router.

Richard M. Hartman

Yes, it's an "S" not a "5" ... that little label is hard to read in dim
light . It's ver 4, btw. I downloaded the latest firmware and although
more encryption options were available, it still wouldn't cooperate with the
laptop.

Not sure what state this laptop is in though, I just got it. I do not even
know if it's XP or XP sp 2 ... can you advise on how to check this out?

--
-Richard M. Hartman

186,000 mi/sec: not just a good idea, it's the LAW!
"Lem" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Richard M. Hartman" wrote:
>
>> I can not get the security options to work, and I don't really want an
>> open
>> network. Can somebody tell me what security options both WinXP and the
>> BEFSW1154 can agree upon?
>>
>> -Richard M. Hartman
>> (E-Mail Removed)
>>
>> 186,000 mi/sec: not just a good idea, it's the LAW!

> With SP2, Win XP can use WPA2. If you have been installing all of the MS
> patches/hotfixes as they come out, you probably already have it. If not,
>

> As for your Linksys router, I assume that's an "S" not a "5" as the next
> to the
> last character. But there are many versions of the BEFW11S4 (I counted 6
> on
> the Linksys documentation site, not including the 2 FrenchCanadian
> versions).
> Check your documentation (RTFM). And if the documentation for your
> particular
> model doesn't show that you have WPA2, check the documentation for the
> latest
> firmware -- Linksys may well have added this feature after you bought your
> router.

lvon

XP Version check:
right-click My Computer > Properties,
or Control Panel > System,
or Windows Key + Pause|Break,
NOT useful: at the cmd prompt, type: ver
(both XP SP1 and SP2 show v.5.1.2600)

If you can connect to the 'net by bypassing the router with network
cable, consider returning the Linksys and buy D-Link or NetGear. I've
had too much trouble with wireless on Linksys, and they have not
appeared to have improved with Cisco's aquisition of 'em.