Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > wireless networking or working remotely?

wireless networking or working remotely?

=?Utf-8?B?cGo=?=

Could someone help me please?
I have one computer at home which is connected to the internet with a USB
modem (Broadband).
The phone socket for the modem is downstairs.
I would like to move my computer to an upstair room but do not have any
phone sockets upstairs to connect the modem to.
I have had a wireless net work card installed into the computer and bought
an ADSL modem with wireless G Router, thinking that was what was needed.
However, I can't connect the router as I have no socket to connect the
ethernet cable to on my computer to set it up.
I also want to connect the Playstation 2 to play online.
Have I bought the wrong router?
Can anyone tell me what I need to do, please?

Doug Sherman [MVP]

Depending on the router's default configuration, you might be able to
connect to it wirelessly for configuration/setup - check your manual.
However, most of these devices contemplate that the setup process will be
performed with a standard ethernet connection. It would be well worth the
money to purchase/install a cheap ethernet adapter for this purpose, and
keep it available for future use. You can use a USB ethernet adapter.

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

"pj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Could someone help me please?
> I have one computer at home which is connected to the internet with a USB
> modem (Broadband).
> The phone socket for the modem is downstairs.
> I would like to move my computer to an upstair room but do not have any
> phone sockets upstairs to connect the modem to.
> I have had a wireless net work card installed into the computer and bought
> an ADSL modem with wireless G Router, thinking that was what was needed.
> However, I can't connect the router as I have no socket to connect the
> ethernet cable to on my computer to set it up.
> I also want to connect the Playstation 2 to play online.
> Have I bought the wrong router?
> Can anyone tell me what I need to do, please?

GTS

Routers are normally connected by Ethernet. There are a few on the market
that can support a USB connection. It would be preferable, however, to
change the ADSL modem instead to one with an Ethernet connection. Many, by
the way, have both. Are you sure yours is USB only?
--

"pj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Could someone help me please?
> I have one computer at home which is connected to the internet with a USB
> modem (Broadband).
> The phone socket for the modem is downstairs.
> I would like to move my computer to an upstair room but do not have any
> phone sockets upstairs to connect the modem to.
> I have had a wireless net work card installed into the computer and bought
> an ADSL modem with wireless G Router, thinking that was what was needed.
> However, I can't connect the router as I have no socket to connect the
> ethernet cable to on my computer to set it up.
> I also want to connect the Playstation 2 to play online.
> Have I bought the wrong router?
> Can anyone tell me what I need to do, please?

=?Utf-8?B?cGo=?=

The manual "strongly recommends" that the initial set up is done with a
physical connection. If I bought a USB ethernet adapter & did the set up
would I then be able to remove the ethernet lead & connect to the internet
wirelessly with my net work card?

"Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:

> Depending on the router's default configuration, you might be able to
> connect to it wirelessly for configuration/setup - check your manual.
> However, most of these devices contemplate that the setup process will be
> performed with a standard ethernet connection. It would be well worth the
> money to purchase/install a cheap ethernet adapter for this purpose, and
> keep it available for future use. You can use a USB ethernet adapter.
>
> Doug Sherman
> MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
>
> "pj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Could someone help me please?
> > I have one computer at home which is connected to the internet with a USB
> > modem (Broadband).
> > The phone socket for the modem is downstairs.
> > I would like to move my computer to an upstair room but do not have any
> > phone sockets upstairs to connect the modem to.
> > I have had a wireless net work card installed into the computer and bought
> > an ADSL modem with wireless G Router, thinking that was what was needed.
> > However, I can't connect the router as I have no socket to connect the
> > ethernet cable to on my computer to set it up.
> > I also want to connect the Playstation 2 to play online.
> > Have I bought the wrong router?
> > Can anyone tell me what I need to do, please?

=?Utf-8?B?cGo=?=

My original modem only has a USB plug on it.

"GTS" wrote:

> Routers are normally connected by Ethernet. There are a few on the market
> that can support a USB connection. It would be preferable, however, to
> change the ADSL modem instead to one with an Ethernet connection. Many, by
> the way, have both. Are you sure yours is USB only?
> --
>
> "pj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Could someone help me please?
> > I have one computer at home which is connected to the internet with a USB
> > modem (Broadband).
> > The phone socket for the modem is downstairs.
> > I would like to move my computer to an upstair room but do not have any
> > phone sockets upstairs to connect the modem to.
> > I have had a wireless net work card installed into the computer and bought
> > an ADSL modem with wireless G Router, thinking that was what was needed.
> > However, I can't connect the router as I have no socket to connect the
> > ethernet cable to on my computer to set it up.
> > I also want to connect the Playstation 2 to play online.
> > Have I bought the wrong router?
> > Can anyone tell me what I need to do, please?

Lem

Yes, you can remove the wired connection to the router once it has been
configured.

pj wrote:

> The manual "strongly recommends" that the initial set up is done with a
> physical connection. If I bought a USB ethernet adapter & did the set up
> would I then be able to remove the ethernet lead & connect to the internet
> wirelessly with my net work card?
>
> "Doug Sherman [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Depending on the router's default configuration, you might be able to
> > connect to it wirelessly for configuration/setup - check your manual.
> > However, most of these devices contemplate that the setup process will be
> > performed with a standard ethernet connection. It would be well worth the
> > money to purchase/install a cheap ethernet adapter for this purpose, and
> > keep it available for future use. You can use a USB ethernet adapter.
> >
> > Doug Sherman
> > MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
> >
> > "pj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Could someone help me please?
> > > I have one computer at home which is connected to the internet with a USB
> > > modem (Broadband).
> > > The phone socket for the modem is downstairs.
> > > I would like to move my computer to an upstair room but do not have any
> > > phone sockets upstairs to connect the modem to.
> > > I have had a wireless net work card installed into the computer and bought
> > > an ADSL modem with wireless G Router, thinking that was what was needed.
> > > However, I can't connect the router as I have no socket to connect the
> > > ethernet cable to on my computer to set it up.
> > > I also want to connect the Playstation 2 to play online.
> > > Have I bought the wrong router?
> > > Can anyone tell me what I need to do, please?

GTS

How will he then connect the ethernet router to the USB only DSL modem?
--

"Doug Sherman [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Depending on the router's default configuration, you might be able to
> connect to it wirelessly for configuration/setup - check your manual.
> However, most of these devices contemplate that the setup process will be
> performed with a standard ethernet connection. It would be well worth the
> money to purchase/install a cheap ethernet adapter for this purpose, and
> keep it available for future use. You can use a USB ethernet adapter.
>
> Doug Sherman
> MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
>
> "pj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Could someone help me please?
>> I have one computer at home which is connected to the internet with a USB
>> modem (Broadband).
>> The phone socket for the modem is downstairs.
>> I would like to move my computer to an upstair room but do not have any
>> phone sockets upstairs to connect the modem to.
>> I have had a wireless net work card installed into the computer and
>> bought
>> an ADSL modem with wireless G Router, thinking that was what was needed.
>> However, I can't connect the router as I have no socket to connect the
>> ethernet cable to on my computer to set it up.
>> I also want to connect the Playstation 2 to play online.
>> Have I bought the wrong router?
>> Can anyone tell me what I need to do, please?

=?Utf-8?B?cGo=?=

the ethernet router has a built in modem so the original USB modem will no
longer be needed?

"GTS" wrote:

> How will he then connect the ethernet router to the USB only DSL modem?
> --
>
> "Doug Sherman [MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Depending on the router's default configuration, you might be able to
> > connect to it wirelessly for configuration/setup - check your manual.
> > However, most of these devices contemplate that the setup process will be
> > performed with a standard ethernet connection. It would be well worth the
> > money to purchase/install a cheap ethernet adapter for this purpose, and
> > keep it available for future use. You can use a USB ethernet adapter.
> >
> > Doug Sherman
> > MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP
> >
> > "pj" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Could someone help me please?
> >> I have one computer at home which is connected to the internet with a USB
> >> modem (Broadband).
> >> The phone socket for the modem is downstairs.
> >> I would like to move my computer to an upstair room but do not have any
> >> phone sockets upstairs to connect the modem to.
> >> I have had a wireless net work card installed into the computer and
> >> bought
> >> an ADSL modem with wireless G Router, thinking that was what was needed.
> >> However, I can't connect the router as I have no socket to connect the
> >> ethernet cable to on my computer to set it up.
> >> I also want to connect the Playstation 2 to play online.
> >> Have I bought the wrong router?
> >> Can anyone tell me what I need to do, please?

GTS

That's correct, as long as the built in modem is compatible with your
providers DSL service.