Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > DVD Recuts Daredevil

DVD Recuts Daredevil

Stan Jensen

DVD Recuts Daredevil

Marvel Studios' Kevin Feige told the Comics Continuum Web site that the
upcoming new Daredevil DVD will be a "whole new experience." The DVD will
be a director's cut, with many new scenes, and will be rated R. It is being
targeted for a spring release, the site reported.

"I hope the people who loved the first one will love this one even more,"
Feige told the site. "And I think the people who had other opinions will be
won over by this new version. More so than many director's cuts that you'll
see, it's really a different experience. Not only are there other subplots
and things in it, there are turns in his character, darker turns, and more
interesting turns that he takes in this version."

Wade365

While I had heard they were going to do this, I didn't think that the resulting
interest in the movie was going to push the project through (I thought I was
one of the three people who got the DVD)... I'm pleased with the news!

There are a lot of great Marvel touches to the film (Keith as Devil Murrdock
was perfect, his face was exactly what they used to draw in the books for a
boxer!) and I thought the character of the Kingpin could have been thickened up
a bit (if you'll excuse the pun) so it's nice they're going back and adding
things back in... and an R rating? Cool, so it goes darker than chomping
Vicoden and cheap-shotting people into oncoming trains!!! Hey...

.... it's gotta be better than what I've seen of the Punisher remake!

Ian Galbraith

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 19:48:19 GMT, Stan Jensen wrote:

VD Recuts Daredevil

:Marvel Studios' Kevin Feige told the Comics Continuum Web site that the
:upcoming new Daredevil DVD will be a "whole new experience." The DVD will
:be a director's cut, with many new scenes, and will be rated R. It is being
:targeted for a spring release, the site reported.

Finally, this was mooted before the first release.

Now where's the Directors cut of Gangs of New York.

[snip]

Derek Janssen

Wade365 wrote:

> While I had heard they were going to do this, I didn't think that the resulting
> interest in the movie was going to push the project through (I thought I was
> one of the three people who got the DVD)... I'm pleased with the news!
>
> There are a lot of great Marvel touches to the film (Keith as Devil Murrdock
> was perfect, his face was exactly what they used to draw in the books for a
> boxer!) and I thought the character of the Kingpin could have been thickened up
> a bit (if you'll excuse the pun) so it's nice they're going back and adding
> things back in... and an R rating? Cool, so it goes darker than chomping
> Vicoden and cheap-shotting people into oncoming trains!!! Hey...
>
> ... it's gotta be better than what I've seen of the Punisher remake!

It is, and--having no deep personal and psychological pre-Gigli "Ben
Affleck is the incarnation of evil, and must be purged from the blessed
face of Earth" axe to grind--thought it wasn't too bad, really:
No X2, mind, but at least had a geek-qualified director who kept the
atmosphere squarely in Frank Miller-World (unlike some desperately
miscast Asian directors on big-budget Marvel projects that shall remain
green and nameless), and did a fairly serviceable job of explaining the
most obscure of the major characters to the mainstream.

....So why does the studio feel its marketability shaky and "borderline"
enough to boost-promote with a director's cut?
You know, and I know--Yes, their one last hope of counteracting all
those damn "Gigli" jokes unfairly and retroactively applied....Just WTF
IS with those, anyway??

Derek Janssen (who didn't see "Shanghai Surprise", either, so just get
the heck over it)

jayembee

Derek Janssen <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Derek Janssen (who didn't see "Shanghai Surprise", either,
> so just get the heck over it)

SHANGHAI SURPRISE isn't nearly as bad as people would have
you believe. Penn & Madonna had absolutely zero chemistry,
and that's what kills the film. If the leads had been played
by, oh, say, Michael Douglas and Kathleen Turner, and all
else was exactly the same, people would've raved about it.

-- jayembee

Dunf

"Derek Janssen" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:40105923$0$3020$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wade365 wrote:
>
> > While I had heard they were going to do this, I didn't think that the

resulting
> > interest in the movie was going to push the project through (I thought I

was
> > one of the three people who got the DVD)... I'm pleased with the news!
> >
> > There are a lot of great Marvel touches to the film (Keith as Devil

Murrdock
> > was perfect, his face was exactly what they used to draw in the books

for a
> > boxer!) and I thought the character of the Kingpin could have been

thickened up
> > a bit (if you'll excuse the pun) so it's nice they're going back and

adding
> > things back in... and an R rating? Cool, so it goes darker than chomping
> > Vicoden and cheap-shotting people into oncoming trains!!! Hey...
> >
> > ... it's gotta be better than what I've seen of the Punisher remake!

> It is, and--having no deep personal and psychological pre-Gigli "Ben
> Affleck is the incarnation of evil, and must be purged from the blessed
> face of Earth" axe to grind--thought it wasn't too bad, really:
> No X2, mind, but at least had a geek-qualified director who kept the
> atmosphere squarely in Frank Miller-World (unlike some desperately
> miscast Asian directors on big-budget Marvel projects that shall remain
> green and nameless), and did a fairly serviceable job of explaining the
> most obscure of the major characters to the mainstream.
>
> ...So why does the studio feel its marketability shaky and "borderline"
> enough to boost-promote with a director's cut?
> You know, and I know--Yes, their one last hope of counteracting all
> those damn "Gigli" jokes unfairly and retroactively applied....Just WTF
> IS with those, anyway??
>
> Derek Janssen (who didn't see "Shanghai Surprise", either, so just get
> the heck over it)
> (E-Mail Removed)

Was anyone aware that Al Pacino was in Gigli? Al, perhaps the greatest
living actor was in Gigli. Generally, Al can do no wrong, but, Gigli. This
proves that even the finest actors don't always read scripts. We can't fault
JLO for this bomb since she was quite good in Out Of Sight. Ben is a
moderate actor with some appeal but that's about it. A film that relies so
heavily on the personalities and chemistry of it's leads, could not and
should not have attempted to do so.

As for the marriage, this movie gives you a glimpse into how little time
these two actually spent together. I believe the who marriage thing was a
farce. It redirected JLO away from the big bad puff ditty with a gun so that
her fans no longer associate her with him. It's amazing how .little we know
(or should know) about celebrity relationships since what appears to be the
case is usually not.