Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Zardoz, much better in widescreen

Zardoz, much better in widescreen

Michael Rogers

I got the DVD for $7.00 at my grocery store.

Now, I saw Zardoz many moons ago on HBO or something and thought it was
a mess. An interesting mess, but a mess.

Now, I see it in anamorphic widescreen and the film made some sense and
kept me hooked visually.

A lot of 2.35 films suffer in pan and scan but I believe this one is
almost ruined by it.

And you got a nice John Boorman commentary, a wonderful typically 1970's
tripped out trailer and a set of radio spots narrated by....

ROD SERLING

I nearly flipped when I heard that distinctive voice.

Glad I took a chance on this DVD. It's not a perfect film but it's quite
ambitious and much better when you can see all of the film.

Writer R5

Zardoz is a great sci-fi flick worthy of multiple viewings to get all the
little background information. My favorite character was "Friend."

"Absolute acquittal!"

I got turned on to the film about ten years or so back. A lot of people get
turned off at first because the film is very much an element of it's time, but
it has a lot to offer if you give it a chance. The opening question says it all
"Is God is show business too?"

Mark
GENRE ONLINE.NET: The Web Resource For Home Video Entertainment & More
http://www.genreonline.net
Mark A. Rivera - Writer/Reviewer/Editor/Webmaster

Richard G Amirault

Michael Rogers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: I got the DVD for $7.00 at my grocery store.

I bought one for a simlar price. Haven't viewed it yet. Saving it for a
'vacation' viewing on my portable DVD player.

Sounds like it was worth the money!!

Richard in Boston, MA, USa

S. Jenkins

One of the best sleepers...

In article <bup8e0$p9v$(E-Mail Removed)>, Richard G Amirault
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Michael Rogers <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>: I got the DVD for $7.00 at my grocery store.
>
>I bought one for a simlar price. Haven't viewed it yet. Saving it for a
>'vacation' viewing on my portable DVD player.
>
>Sounds like it was worth the money!!
>
>Richard in Boston, MA, USa

Nick Baldasare

Best use of a Beethoven piece in a film...ever.

Ken Cobb

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 04:18:38 GMT, "Nick Baldasare"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Best use of a Beethoven piece in a film...ever.

I liked the use of Beethoven's 9th in Die Hard better, but this was
good as well.

Ken

Werz Mungle

"Ken Cobb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 04:18:38 GMT, "Nick Baldasare"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Best use of a Beethoven piece in a film...ever.
> >

> I liked the use of Beethoven's 9th in Die Hard better, but this was
> good as well.
>
> Ken

A Clockwork Orange, people!

Ken Cobb

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 13:56:55 GMT, "Werz Mungle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Ken Cobb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 04:18:38 GMT, "Nick Baldasare"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>> >Best use of a Beethoven piece in a film...ever.
>> >

>> I liked the use of Beethoven's 9th in Die Hard better, but this was
>> good as well.
>>
>> Ken

>A Clockwork Orange, people!

I'll have to rewatch that, its been too long. The music from clockwork
that springs to mind is the William Tell overture, but then I like
naked women.

Ken

jayembee

"Nick Baldasare" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Best use of a Beethoven piece in a film...ever.

I take it you've never seen A CLOCKWORK ORANGE...

-- jayembee

Jones Showinski

"Ken Cobb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 13:56:55 GMT, "Werz Mungle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> >"Ken Cobb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed).. .

> >> I liked the use of Beethoven's 9th in Die Hard better, but this was
> >> good as well.
> >>
> >> Ken

> >A Clockwork Orange, people!
> >

> I'll have to rewatch that, its been too long. The music from clockwork
> that springs to mind is the William Tell overture, but then I like
> naked women.
>
> Ken

Beethoven and his music not only play on the soundtrack but actually figure
in the plot of "A Clockwork Orange."