Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > DVD Video > Spiderman Series

Spiderman Series

Shadowspawn

First I have to say this is the best $22 I ever spent on a seaon box
set (if you can call 2 discs a box). I love this series and the DVD
transfer is amazing and the DTS was a very nice surprise. The
commentary is insightful and I like the way they change up the guests
for each episode including STAN (the man) LEE himself.

Now - for my gripe. Does anybody else hate BLACK text on NAVY BLUE
bubble backgrounds for the Spidy Trivia. I swear I have to pause the
DVD and STARE at each info bubble until my eyes adjust - much like
those holographic pictures at the mall. I think there are only 4 or 5
black on white bubbles in the entire series. Another movie did the
same thing recently - I think it was the Hulk.

Otherwise a flawless DVD, excellent writing, stunning CG animation
(Reboot in 2D) - hopefully MTV will approve a 2nd season.

Hitman of Las Vegas

On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:25:52 GMT, Shadowspawn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Otherwise a flawless DVD, excellent writing, stunning CG animation
>(Reboot in 2D) - hopefully MTV will approve a 2nd season.

Man, I couldn't disagree more. I saw the series on MTV and it was
awful. The animation wasn't stunning at all, it looked odd and quirky
- really out of place. The writing and stories were boring. I didn't
see any charm in it - I prefer the 60s SpiderMan animated show - at
least it had heart.

Wade365

<< Otherwise a flawless DVD, excellent writing, stunning CG animation
>(Reboot in 2D) - hopefully MTV will approve a 2nd season.

Man, I couldn't disagree more. I saw the series on MTV and it was
awful. The animation wasn't stunning at all, it looked odd and quirky
- really out of place. The writing and stories were boring. >><BR><BR>

I hated it at first too, but it really grew on me. The animation does take a
bit of getting used to (at first it all lookewd like video game cut scenes I'll
admit), but you begin to see the art in it and the obvious care... the
character designs are off from "traditional" Spidey cartoons, but I applaud
them for breaking into another style. I've had a few other anime purchases
recently which have precluded me from picking the Season One set up but I will.

I'm with the original post: Season 2 please!

Justin

Wade365 wrote on [22 Jan 2004 02:11:34 GMT]:
> I hated it at first too, but it really grew on me. The animation does take a
> bit of getting used to (at first it all lookewd like video game cut scenes I'll
> admit), but you begin to see the art in it and the obvious care... the
> character designs are off from "traditional" Spidey cartoons, but I applaud
> them for breaking into another style.

If only they'd put them in different clothes once in a while.

Shadowspawn

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 02:33:35 GMT, Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Wade365 wrote on [22 Jan 2004 02:11:34 GMT]:
>> I hated it at first too, but it really grew on me. The animation does take a
>> bit of getting used to (at first it all lookewd like video game cut scenes I'll
>> admit), but you begin to see the art in it and the obvious care... the
>> character designs are off from "traditional" Spidey cartoons, but I applaud
>> them for breaking into another style.

>If only they'd put them in different clothes once in a while.

They joke about that in the commentary quite a bit. They said that if
Season 2 is a go they will do new costumers. Actually, whenever MJ or
Harry are in a new outfit they pop-up a Spidy Bubble indicating it.
MJ wears a sexy wall climbing outfit and Harry is in a Tux in one
episode. What's really funny is to look at all the red backpacks
everyone wears, they are all identical but scaled down. They mention
it when MJ and Harry are side by side and you can see it clearly.

They also call out when characters and costumes are reused between
episodes. The robe that Lizardman wears is the frat initiation robe
from the Party episode. The fact that MJ is the only one with moving
hair and how hard it is to make flowing clothing was also interesting.
They wanted a flowing Matrix cloak for the samurai chick but animating
a cloak takes as much CPU time as an entire character.

The nicest part of the animation has got to be the self-shadowing and
the emotions these characters are able to depict with facial
expressions. Stunning CG!

Shadowspawn

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 01:06:07 GMT, Hitman of Las Vegas <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:25:52 GMT, Shadowspawn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Otherwise a flawless DVD, excellent writing, stunning CG animation
>>(Reboot in 2D) - hopefully MTV will approve a 2nd season.

>Man, I couldn't disagree more. I saw the series on MTV and it was
>awful. The animation wasn't stunning at all, it looked odd and quirky
>- really out of place. The writing and stories were boring. I didn't
>see any charm in it - I prefer the 60s SpiderMan animated show - at
>least it had heart.

Well I won't try to convert you on your graphical taste. To each
their own but there is nothing else like this on TV - even Stan Lee
says this is the best version of Spidy to date.

I thought all the stories were very well done. The writers have a
long legacy of writing for comics and other animated superhero
animated shows. Perhaps you are looking for more superhero action but
they clearly state in the commentary this is a show dealing with the
relationship between Harry, MJ, and Peter, and Spider-Man is more of a
sidebar. For that reason alone the show has more HEART and deals with
more emotional and relationship values than anything in the genre.

Hitman of Las Vegas

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 03:12:06 GMT, Shadowspawn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Well I won't try to convert you on your graphical taste. To each
>their own but there is nothing else like this on TV - even Stan Lee
>says this is the best version of Spidy to date.

Yea, it's all a matter of taste and I didn't respond to it at all,
though I gave it several chances.

As for Stan Lee, well, he is a shill of the higest order, so his
opinion on the matter isn;t compelling to me, even though he
co-created Spider-Man. Stan will go out and shill like a madman -
back in the late 70s he shilled like a madman for the awful Spider-Man
live tv series, and that was hideous.

In any case, glad you enjoyed the show. To me, it was a bore.

Steve K.

Hitman of Las Vegas wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 21:25:52 GMT, Shadowspawn <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>Otherwise a flawless DVD, excellent writing, stunning CG animation
>>(Reboot in 2D) - hopefully MTV will approve a 2nd season.

> Man, I couldn't disagree more. I saw the series on MTV and it was
> awful. The animation wasn't stunning at all, it looked odd and quirky
> - really out of place. The writing and stories were boring. I didn't
> see any charm in it - I prefer the 60s SpiderMan animated show - at
> least it had heart.

I agree with Hitman. I didn't care for this MTV 3D floaty mocap Spiderman.

Justin

Hitman of Las Vegas wrote on [Thu, 22 Jan 2004 04:07:58 GMT]:
> As for Stan Lee, well, he is a shill of the higest order, so his
> opinion on the matter isn;t compelling to me, even though he
> co-created Spider-Man. Stan will go out and shill like a madman -
> back in the late 70s he shilled like a madman for the awful Spider-Man
> live tv series, and that was hideous.

He sure is. But he does get points of effort though. Man that guy will
still be hyper about these products on his death bed.

True Believer.

Wade365

<< If only they'd put them in different clothes once in a while. >><BR><BR>

HEH... yeeeaaahhh... OK... that bugs me a bit too.

SpiderMan 2 MarkZimmerman DVD Video 2 08-09-2004 11:38 PM
When: Spiderman 2, Harry Potter, Return of the King MarkZimmerman DVD Video 13 07-27-2004 10:26 PM
Spiderman animated DVD price Len-L DVD Video 1 01-13-2004 08:56 PM
SPIDERMAN & THE D60 !!! Annika1980 Digital Photography 4 09-07-2003 02:36 AM

Advertisments